Thread: Pouncey poised to live up to lofty expectations

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey poised to live up to lofty expectations

Pouncey poised to live up to lofty expectations
    September 8th, 2010
    [url="http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/09/08/pouncey-poised-to-live-up-to-lofty-expectations/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThePressBox+%2 8View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29"]http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29[/url]

Maurkice Pouncey is well aware of the Steelers’ lineage at center where he is slated to start Sunday against the Falcons.

“I have a lot to live up to,” the rookie first-round pick said.

Pouncey may get some help in trying to continue the Steelers’ tradition of excellence at his position.

He has been exchanging text messages with Dermontti Dawson, who made seven consecutive Pro Bowls from 1992-98 and is arguably the best center of his era.

“He reached out to me,” Pouncey said. “He called me after I got drafted and we talked for a little bit. Ever since then we’ve been texting every now and then back and forth.”

Pouncey said he hopes to pick up some pointers from Dawson.

The Florida product has seen film of Dawson wiping out linebackers on his signature pulls.

“A beast,” Pouncey said of Dawson. “I’m just hoping to be something like him.”

In a couple of days Pouncey will do something Dawson never did with the Steelers: start as a rookie at center.

He’ll also become the first rookie position player to start under coach Mike Tomlin.

“It’s amazing, man,” Pouncey said. “I just want to stay level headed and keep getting better every day at practice.”

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Pouncey poised to live up to lofty expectations

I know this is about Pouncey but watching Dirt wipe a guy out at the line and then hustle another 7 to 10 yards to wipe out another was a thing of beauty.

Any pointers he can give the rookie are fantastic.