Thread: Tony Ugoh cut by the Colts

Pro Bowler

Tony Ugoh cut by the Colts

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5548009

Injured Tony Ugoh waived by Colts
    By Paul Kuharsky
    ESPN.com
    Archive

The Indianapolis Colts have waived injured offensive lineman Tony Ugoh, their second round pick from 2007 out of Arkansas.

They team had envisioned Ugoh as a long-term left tackle, but he lost their faith after playing in 11 games as a rookie and 15 in 2008. He started four games last year after Charlie Johnson won the job.

Indianapolis intended to try him at left guard during training camp, but a foot injury to Johnson meant Ugoh had to play left tackle. Now dealing with a foot injury, Ugoh was listed as Johnson's backup.

In their injury report emailed earlier Wednesday, the Colts said Ugoh did not participate in practice because of a foot injury.

Paul Kuharsky in the AFC South blogger for ESPN.com.

Typically I'm against bringing in other teams' cast off's but it's not like our O-Line is dominant. Can this guy play?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Pro Bowler

Re: Tony Ugoh cut by the Colts

Everyone knows Ugoh was a bad fit for Indy's style of offense. That said, he may be worth bringing in for look as he was a stud in Arkansas's running attack before coming out...

2007 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
    Named a third-team All American in 2006, Ugoh enjoyed a very productive season at Arkansas in his senior campaign. The left tackle anchored the Razorback offensive line throughout the year and paved the way for the SEC's top-ranked rushing attack. Obviously having Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in the backfield helped out a great deal, but there's no denying what Ugoh meant to the Hogs last season. The 6-5, 305-pound lineman is probably not quite ready to have a similar impact at the next level, but he does have the potential to be a Pro Bowl offensive lineman down the road. Ugoh must work on his pass-blocking technique in order to establish himself as one of the premier offensive linemen in this year's draft class. In run-blocking, however, Ugoh might be second only to Joe Thomas. He performed well at the Senior Bowl, where his stock improved considerably, but his standing in the draft still hinges on his showing at the combine. If Ugoh continues to make a good impression on scouts, he could emerge as a darkhorse first-round draft choice. It would really be a surprise if he slipped past the second round.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

He was the "love child" of many of the posters on this board but was really underwhelming as a Pro. That said can he be worse than Essex or Kemo?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

The Steelers always say they consider anyone who could help the football team. I would think Ugoh could. Essex is the weakest link right now. He struggles in pass pro. Run blocking is average. They were trying Ugoh at G. Not sure he would be the best option if they wanted to upgrade Essex which I'm getting the feeling they don't but I'm not sure I would let any of the 9 OL go we have right now. That's the other issue. I believe Battle, Madison, & Sly are 51-53 so if they carry 10 OL one of them will have to go. If I was to guess...I believe the Steelers are completely happy with the current 53. Don't agree with them but what do I know.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

They aren't moving Essex, because he is the one stabilizing force on the right side of the line (even though he is not all that talented). He has been helping Adams with his transition into our system and his move to the right side. He can help Pouncey adjust to the NFL game as a rookie, and give him advice about the line calls and such (if Pouncey needs help about some part of the mental aspect of the game, he is certainly more likely to go to Essex than Kemoeatu, who is as sharp as a butter knife). They would not consider having a LT converted to a RT playing next to a LT converted to a RG, playing next to a rookie.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    They aren't moving Essex, because he is the one stabilizing force on the right side of the line (even though he is not all that talented). He has been helping Adams with his transition into our system and his move to the right side. He can help Pouncey adjust to the NFL game as a rookie, and give him advice about the line calls and such (if Pouncey needs help about some part of the mental aspect of the game, he is certainly more likely to go to Essex than Kemoeatu, who is as sharp as a butter knife). They would not consider having a LT converted to a RT playing next to a LT converted to a RG, playing next to a rookie.

If Ugoh was brought in (which is unlikely), it would be to replace Scott or Hills (most likely Scott). The Steelers aren't going to replace Essex now.

Next year, with a full camp for everybody to get accustomed to each other, Essex should be gone. No question. But this year, we're stuck with him.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

If Ugoh was brought in (which is unlikely), it would be to replace Scott or Hills (most likely Scott). The Steelers aren't going to replace Essex now.

Next year, with a full camp for everybody to get accustomed to each other, Essex should be gone. No question. But this year, we're stuck with him.
    OL additions and moves next year will be very interesting. Kugler had to play the hand dealt this year but I will be curious what he does to put "his Guys" in place. Reality is that we need help at RT (likely even if Colon comes back) and both Guard positions. Both Essex and Kemo are very average and both are weak in the same thing...pass protection.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Reality is that we need help at RT (likely even if Colon comes back) and both Guard positions. Both Essex and Kemo are very average and both are weak in the same thing...pass protection.

That is where Ubrik failure would hurt this team.

I think they will have to draft a OG in Rd 2 - Rd 3 in next year draft or get a good Guard from FA.

Maybe Chris Scott might surprise us.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5548009

Injured Tony Ugoh waived by Colts
    By Paul Kuharsky
    ESPN.com
    Archive

The Indianapolis Colts have waived injured offensive lineman Tony Ugoh, their second round pick from 2007 out of Arkansas.

They team had envisioned Ugoh as a long-term left tackle, but he lost their faith after playing in 11 games as a rookie and 15 in 2008. He started four games last year after Charlie Johnson won the job.

Indianapolis intended to try him at left guard during training camp, but a foot injury to Johnson meant Ugoh had to play left tackle. Now dealing with a foot injury, Ugoh was listed as Johnson's backup.

In their injury report emailed earlier Wednesday, the Colts said Ugoh did not participate in practice because of a foot injury.

Paul Kuharsky in the AFC South blogger for ESPN.com.

Typically I'm against bringing in other teams' cast off's but it's not like our O-Line is dominant. Can this guy play?
    I know this is WAYYYY off topic but Charlie Johnson does not sound like an offensive linemans name, sounds more like a running back or receiver....okay I'm done