Thread: 2011 Draft (DE) Who to watch...

Hall of Famer

2011 Draft (DE) Who to watch...

I think Shawn had a great idea a few months ago. Since the college season is here. Let's start some threads for each position and list college prospects that may fit the Steeler's system. Feel free to add to the threads as you watch the players this season.

Here are some 3-4 DE prospects the Steelers may consider. With Aaron Smith's retirement nearing (2012?), the Steelers may add to their depth from a surprisingly good crop of 3-4 DEs.

Tier 1

1. Marcel Darius, Alabama. 6-3, 306. (Junior) Already plays in a 3-4 and is considered a top ten pick. He's been suspended for the first 2 games for taking money/gifts. Had 6.5 sacks last year as a sophomore (in only 4 starts) so he'll be helpful on 3rd down.

2. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa. 6-3 282. If you saw Iowa play down the stretch last season, you surely noticed this guy as he was their best player by a mile. Constant double teams and he still made plays. He could have declared for the 2010 draft and been a sure top 20 pick. Clayborn is quick, tenacious, strong, and darn close to unblockable. In the nickel, he could play DT or DE.

3. Cameron Heyward, OSU. 6-6, 287. I like him almost as much as Shawn. He has great height and wingspan to take big NFL tackles. Heyward has freakish athleticism. I've watched him rag doll first round pick Brian Bulaga, blow up screens and chase down quick RBs. If he shows a more consistency this season, he could be the first 3-4 DE taken in the draft.

4. Allen Bailey, Miami. 6-4, 288. Bailey had 7 sacks last season and helped anchor a good Miami defense. He has the strength to play 3-4 DE, but may be better as a penetrating 4-3 DT.

Tier 2

5. Jared Crick, Nebraska. 6'6, 285. His numbers last season (9.5 sacks) were a little inflated because Suh drew a lot of attention. Still, Crick is strong, smart, and has good quickness. It will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Others

Cameron Jordan, California. 6'4, 290. Plays 3-4 DE at Cal.
    Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati. 6'5, 302. Junior with great athleticism.
    Lawerence Guy, Arizona St. 6'5, 293.

This Saturday @3:30 OSU plays Miami on national TV so you can watch both Heyward and Bailey in the same game.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

Re: 2011 Draft (DE) Who to watch...

Live here in Cincinnati. I've seen Derek Wolfe play now a few times this season. He is a very good athlete, but I question his passion. South Florida's o-linemen did a pretty good job against him and then it looked like he just gave up in the second half. I really don't care for that. I want a guy who loves to play no matter what the score is.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

Add Auburn's Nick Fairley to that list. 6'5, 298 and tearing up the SEC. 7 and 1/2 sacks and 3 QB KOs.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... therbigman

Hall of Famer

Dee Dub likes Brandon Bair of Oregon. He's 6'7, 272. Dub thinks he could fill out and be an Aaron Smith type.

NT Chris Nield WVU 6-2 302
    DE Scooter Berry WVU 6-1 290

Both have played in a 3 man front their whole college career. No need to convert.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Add Auburn's Nick Fairley to that list. 6'5, 298 and tearing up the SEC. 7 and 1/2 sacks and 3 QB KOs.
    Georgia coach Mark Richt praises Nick Fairley highly. "Nick is the closest thing I've seen to Warren Sapp in all the years I've been coaching," Richt said ...
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I saw how dominant he was against elite competition being Alabama. There seems to be only a handful of players that come along that can take over a game no matter what you do. He seem sto fall in this category.

Then again I thought Glen Dorsey and Cedrick (sp) Ellis would be household names but maybe its the type of defense that they play in that does not allow them to excel individually.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller
    NT Chris Nield WVU 6-2 302
    DE Scooter Berry WVU 6-1 290

Both have played in a 3 man front their whole college career. No need to convert.
    Berry is obviously sort for a 3-4 DE. Where do you see him playing?