Thread: Anyone else watching Hard Knocks?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anyone else watching Hard Knocks?

I got the directv, and they gave me HBO free for a bit so I figured I'd check it out.

Holy CRAP is it a good show. It makes me miss playing football (even though I only played a tiny bit). It's also making me really like Rex Ryan. He's like a real life Foghorn Leghorn. I'd play football for him in a heartbeat.

Fortunately I can like a coach and still hate a team <whew>.

Anyone else watching it? If so, anyone else starting to like Rexy?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Anyone else watching Hard Knocks?

Hard Knocks is one of those conundrums. I would love to watch a show like that featuring my Steelers, because I would like to have that extent of insider access to my team. However, I would hate if they actually ever agreed to do such a show (and I doubt that they ever would...we've been asked before, and declined) because it seems like it would be such a distraction when the players and coaches should be preparing for a season instead of worrying about cameras everywhere at all times.

Re: Rex...I love the diet aspects of the show, like how this big ol' guy that you know wants to eat a whole cheesecake himself in one sitting is limited to some cheese and 14 little crackers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Hard Knocks is one of those conundrums. I would love to watch a show like that featuring my Steelers, because I would like to have that extent of insider access to my team. However, I would hate if they actually ever agreed to do such a show (and I doubt that they ever would...we've been asked before, and declined) because it seems like it would be such a distraction when the players and coaches should be preparing for a season instead of worrying about cameras everywhere at all times.

Re: Rex...I love the diet aspects of the show, like how this big ol' guy that you know wants to eat a whole cheesecake himself in one sitting is limited to some cheese and 14 little crackers.
    I can't imagine the Steelers ever doing it. It just doesn't fit. That being said, I'd be all over that. I'd watch every second of it multiple times. I'm actually considering checking out previous seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Love the show. Hate Rex and the Jets.

I'd rather play for a guy like Dungy who wouldn't curse at me. I'm surprised Goodell doesn't suspend guys like Rex for their language. Seems that a cleaner PG image would help protect the shield of the NFL.

Head coaches should be held to higher standards than QBs imho.

Starter

User Info Menu

Interesting point about the swearing. It doesn't bother me, but what does get my goat is how some coaches dress. I'd prefer if they all wore suits. It amazes me that the NFL obsessing over its image in some ways, yet lets Belichick dress like a vagrant.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer
    Interesting point about the swearing. It doesn't bother me, but what does get my goat is how some coaches dress. I'd prefer if they all wore suits. It amazes me that the NFL obsessing over its image in some ways, yet lets Belichick dress like a vagrant.
    If it was indoor like the NBA, then suits would make sense. But the problem is it can either be too hot, wet, or cold for a suit outside.

There should be licensed coaching apparel that's a standard across the league. A lot of the coaches look good and have some interesting team colored outfits which I imagine helps merchandise sales.

But sloppy coaches do seem to have a negative impact. Although Bill B's won 3 SuperBowls which helps him pull off the sloppy genius persona.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: the profanity, the WWE cleaned up their act to get a PG rating and to attract a broader audience.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

The SECOND they can figure out where to put a Nike "swoosh" or a Reebok logo onto a suit and send them off to Dicks to sell for 50 bucks a pop.... then maybe suits on the sideline will make a comeback. Until then coaches will wear the Logo's and apparel of the companies the NFL has whored themselves out to.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rex seems to me like the old school football coach that you'd see in the movies. Cussing is just a part of the game, like spitting in MLB.

I do wish that the NFL would have coaches in suits. It worked for guys like Lombardi and Landry. You take off the jacket when it's too hot and put on an overcoat when it's cold.

While I like the idea of Hard Knocks, it would be better shown after the completion of the season. I think more information could be shared that way and we could see what all the fuss actually meant in a more meaningful way.