Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will be the QB when Ben's suspension is over?

Legend

User Info Menu

Who will be the QB when Ben's suspension is over?

Tomlin said on Sirius today that he wasn't going to back himself into a corner and leave it open. I dont think for one minute that he is crazy enough to keep Dixon as the starter when Ben comes back, even if Dixon has a perfect passer rating and throws for 14 TD's. But Tomlin has made some decisions before that has left me scratching the old noggin....

What do you guys think he will do and what do you think he should do given Dixon does very very well?
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Who will be the QB when Ben's suspension is over?

here is some of what Tomlin said,

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin named third year quarterback Dennis Dixon the starter for the Steelers week one game against the Atlanta Falcons. When asked who the starter would be for Pittsburgh’s fifth game, Tomlin was less divulgent.

“I’m going to dodge that one and not artfully,” Tomlin told Sirius NFL Radio when asked about Roethlisberger’s place as the starter.

“I’m not going to back myself in corner.”

When Tomlin announced Dixon would be the starter for the season opener, he also said that Dixon would have the opportunity to start more games if he played well. However, the assumption was that two-time Superbowl winner and former pro-bowler Ben Roethlisberger would automatically be awarded “top dog” status, so to speak, when he returned to the team after his four game suspension. Tomlin’s coy response has left room for doubt.

Dixon, who has started just one game in his career, was slated to be the primary back-up behind Byron Leftwich during the weeks of Roethlisberger’s suspension, but Leftwich’s pre-season knee injury gave Dixon the opportunity to start.

Long-time Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch is also available, but Mike Tomlin said that Batch was at the bottom of the “pecking order.”

“There was a specific pecking order in camp, and Charlie [Batch's] durability or lack of durability added into it,” Tomlin said. “This is a guy who’s been on IR [injured reserve] a little bit the past couple years, but he also requires very few snaps to be prepared to play football at an acceptable level.”

Read more: [url="http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/who-will-start-for-the-steelers-after-bens-suspension/#ixzz0ysdO1vnD"]http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/who ... z0ysdO1vnD[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

I would bet the first born that even IF Dennis Dixon averages a perfect passer rating, 10 TDs and a 80% pass completion rating, he is NOT beating out our 102 million dollar 2X winning QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin's background wouldn't shock me if he did it. It would be stupid, but not shocking.

Starter

User Info Menu

Ben. Hope that helps.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm thinking that Coach T is just stirring the pot a little to juice Dixon, Ben and the qbs in waiting....Lefty and Charlie. It would be silly to not start Ben when he comes back.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

This scenario was brought up in another thread:
    Suppose Dixon goes 4-0, throws 8 tds and no interceptions.

I don't think that's likely to happen. But if it did, there would be some big-time controversy, and I would not be surprised if Tomlin stayed with the "hot hand" at QB.

Starter

User Info Menu

I hope Dixon can get us to 2 and 2, I am not really expecting much from him.

Now if he were able to go 4-0, and he was the major reason for our success, with successful passing and was able to use his legs, and picked up locker room support, I would see what some of the veterans thought and probably go in that direction.

It would keep the PR nightmare of Big Ben from affecting the season. Then open the QB competition next season.

But unless Dixon plays lights out, Ben will be the starter game 5.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    This scenario was brought up in another thread:
    Suppose Dixon goes 4-0, throws 8 tds and no interceptions.

I don't think that's likely to happen. But if it did, there would be some big-time controversy, and I would not be surprised if Tomlin stayed with the "hot hand" at QB.
    1) That's not going to happen

and

B) Even if it did you don't keep your franchise QB on the bench.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sd steel
    I hope Dixon can get us to 2 and 2, I am not really expecting much from him.

Now if he were able to go 4-0, and he was the major reason for our success, with successful passing and was able to use his legs, and picked up locker room support, I would see what some of the veterans thought and probably go in that direction.

It would keep the PR nightmare of Big Ben from affecting the season. Then open the QB competition next season.
    But unless Dixon plays lights out, Ben will be the starter game 5.
    Keep dreaming.