Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LeGarrette Blount

Re: LeGarrette Blount

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Anyway you think we could steal him off the Titans PS and place him on ours? I know we had some predraft interest and I really like the way this guy runs. Thoughts?

if we were to claim Blount off the Bucs' PS we would have to place him on our 53-man roster. teams cannot claim a player off another teams' PS and put them on their own.
    I do know this...but a player can choose to be on another PS from my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

if we were to claim Blount off the Bucs' PS we would have to place him on our 53-man roster. teams cannot claim a player off another teams' PS and put them on their own.
    I do know this...but a player can choose to be on another PS from my understanding.

I don't think so...see highlighted below:

NFL Practice Squad Rules & Waivers

By Cam Merritt, eHow Contributor
    updated: June 18, 2010

A team in the National Football League actually maintains two rosters. One is the regular roster, the 53 guys eligible to suit up and play in games. The other is a shadow roster called the "practice squad," made up of young players trying to break into the league. The rules governing the practice squad are spelled out in the league's collective bargaining agreement with its players.

Number of Players
    An NFL franchise can sign as many as eight players for its practice squad, sometimes called the "taxi squad" or "scout team." Players on this squad are eligible to practice with the team, but they do not play in games. Some may be players that the team hopes to develop; others may be there just to ensure that there are enough warm bodies to conduct a full practice.

Player Eligibility
    Players who have never been on any team's 53-man roster are eligible to serve on a practice squad, as are players who have been on a 53-man roster in only one season and for fewer than nine games. Any player with more service than that is ineligible. Further, players are limited to three total years on practice squads.

Pay
    Practice squad players are paid for every week they're on the squad. The collective bargaining agreement spells out the minimum amount they must receive, though teams are free to pay more. For example, the minimum in 2006 and 2007 was $4,700 a week; for 2008-10, that rose to $5,200.

Signing Rights
    If a team likes a player on another club's practice squad, that team is free to sign him to a contract--but only for its 53-man roster, and it has to keep the player on the 53-man roster for at least three weeks. The team that signs the player doesn't have to pay any kind of compensation to the team that lost him. Practice squad players are pretty much fair game. There's one small exception, though: You can't sign a player off another team's practice squad in the week before you play that team.

Transfers
    A team can promote a player from its practice squad to its 53-man roster simply by signing him to new contract. But to go the other way, to demote him, the team has to actually cut the player and then re-sign him. That involves putting him on "waivers."

Waivers
    When a team cuts a player with less than four years' service in the NFL, which includes any player who could be assigned to a practice squad, that player doesn't immediately become a free agent. He must go through the NFL's waiver system, in which every other team gets a chance to "claim" him, assume his contract and add him to its 53-man roster. If no team claims the player, he becomes a free agent and is able to sign with any team. If another team does claim him, his original team has the right to pull him off waivers and keep him on the roster. So, to demote a player to the practice squad, a team must put him on waivers, then hope that he clears waivers, and then sign him to a practice-squad contract.

Read more: NFL Practice Squad Rules & Waivers | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6640825_nfl-pr ... z0yzYhoiVC

You could be right but I thought I remember the Steelers wanting to place one of their guys on their PS and he selected another PS. I might have the story mixed up. Maybe it was a guy they wanted to sign to their PS but chose someone else.

You could be right but I thought I remember the Steelers wanting to place one of their guys on their PS and he selected another PS. I might have the story mixed up. Maybe it was a guy they wanted to sign to their PS but chose someone else.
    Shawn, you might be thinking of Sunny Harris last season. He was on the Steelers practice squad and Carolina wanted to sign him to their regular roster. He could have chosen to stay with Pittsburgh with the hopes that they would put him on their regular 53, but he chose to go w/the Panthers.

Eventually, Carolina got rid of him and the Steelers brought him back.

Hall of Famer

fred gibson declined signing with our PS and signed with the dlophins instead the year he was drafted and cut

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Didn't A.Q. Shipley choose to go on the Eagles practice squad instead of ours just last year?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    fred gibson declined signing with our PS and signed with the dlophins instead the year he was drafted and cut

i think this is a bit different as Gibson had never signed with our PS and had the freedom to choose wherever he wanted to go.

Blount however, is already on the Bucs' PS. If he had chosen the Steelers before signing with the Bucs and going on their PS there would have been no problem. But now that he has signed on with them and we wanted to claim him we would have to put Blount on our 53-man roster for at least 3 weeks.

Every time I see the name LeGarrette Blount I think of the movie "Half Baked".

Wesley Pipes and Billy Bong-Thornton.

Ya ever see a running back run on weed man???
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma