Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report: Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as Week 1 starter

Backup

Re: Report: Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as Week 1 starter

I don't care who start. Just hope they play well and take the team to 3-1 record for BB to take over.

Pro Bowler

Winning 3 games is unrealistic. None of these QBs can win 75% of their games. We have to win ONE. And hopefully 2.

The first snap needs to be Batch, just as a settling agent. As the first game goes, I'd use Dixon on about 15 plays. Maybe even a whole series at some point.

Its gonna be hard for teams to prepare for 2 different QBs and when defenses aren't running on presision, they have a tendency to break down. If they have time to prepare for Dixon, it could get UGLY. He is simple to bait and simply to defense if they know who they are getting.
    Batch is saavy and has skill. He's just brittle. He may ewll get dinged early or even in the third game, but as the 4 games develop, Dixon will get more and more experience, but will have lpenty of teaching time on the bench while Batch is out there.

This doesn't need to be a singular QB situation. Its not a competition for the starting spot. Neither is really the starter and will have their own packages of plays.

If you go with Dixon and he collapses AGAIN like he did this preseason and his only NFL start against the Ravens when he ran out of plays that he understood and the Ravens figured him out (in 2 quarters), then you are really STUCK with Batch cause Dixon will be ruined. I could easily see Dixon even getting 100% of games 3 and 4 if he performs well.

Also, what has Dixon EARNED? Some say its unfair for him to not get the starting nod. HOW? He finished 3rd in the QB race this preseason behind Ben and Lefty. If he gets the nod, its by
    DEFAULT, nothing earned, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Winning 3 games is unrealistic. None of these QBs can win 75% of their games. We have to win ONE. And hopefully 2.

The first snap needs to be Batch, just as a settling agent. As the first game goes, I'd use Dixon on about 15 plays. Maybe even a whole series at some point.

Its gonna be hard for teams to prepare for 2 different QBs and when defenses aren't running on presision, they have a tendency to break down. If they have time to prepare for Dixon, it could get UGLY. He is simple to bait and simply to defense if they know who they are getting.
    Batch is saavy and has skill. He's just brittle. He may ewll get dinged early or even in the third game, but as the 4 games develop, Dixon will get more and more experience, but will have lpenty of teaching time on the bench while Batch is out there.

This doesn't need to be a singular QB situation. Its not a competition for the starting spot. Neither is really the starter and will have their own packages of plays.

If you go with Dixon and he collapses AGAIN like he did this preseason and his only NFL start against the Ravens when he ran out of plays that he understood and the Ravens figured him out (in 2 quarters), then you are really STUCK with Batch cause Dixon will be ruined. I could easily see Dixon even getting 100% of games 3 and 4 if he performs well.

Also, what has Dixon EARNED? Some say its unfair for him to not get the starting nod. HOW? He finished 3rd in the QB race this preseason behind Ben and Lefty. If he gets the nod, its by
    DEFAULT, nothing earned, folks.
    I agree with just about everything you stated AB, but to say that 3 wins is unrealistic, is nothing short of pessimistic hyperbole.

There is an argument for starting either quarterback, but the scenario you bring up is the same one I liked when it was Lefty/Dixon. Make the opponent game-plan for two quarterbacks. Start the savvy veteran and mix-in a healthy amount of juice with Dixon.
    This isnít a battle to start, as you stated. The traditional problem which arises from a two- quarterback system (ie.when you have 2 quarterbacks, you really have none.), is out the window here.

Start Batch and get Dixon in the game often.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I don't think this team ever intended to allow one QB to take over while Ben was sidelined. I think the plan all along was to start Leftwich to be your veteran game manager (solid but not spectacular...less risk). However, we would also insert several packages for Dixon to stir the pot and force the opponent to try to prepare for 2 totally different styles of QB (they also need to be ready for the athletic playmaker who may have more risk but potentially more reward as well). I assumed it would be something like a 65-35 split in snaps for Leftwich and Dixon. That, of course, is variable depending on our opponent and the relative effectiveness of our QB's in that particular game (for example, maybe Byron would get 85% of the snaps in one game, but the next game it was more like 50-50). Well, now that Leftwich is out of the picture to start the season, I think they just insert Batch in the pre-conceived Leftwich role as the solid but not spectacular veteran game manager who will split time with the athletic playmaker Dixon.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Chadman has little problem with Batch starting while Ben is out. What do you guys expect from a back-up QB if not smart game managing?

How many teams lose their starting QB & bring in a QB that while capable of producing big plays, is equal parts likely to make a bad read/throw interceptions over the steady, calming influence of the 'experienced gamemanager'?

Not too many.

That said, it couldn't hurt for the Steelers to inject Dixon at stages through the game, just to keep the defense on it's toes a little.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Chadman has little problem with Batch starting while Ben is out. What do you guys expect from a back-up QB if not smart game managing?

How many teams lose their starting QB & bring in a QB that while capable of producing big plays, is equal parts likely to make a bad read/throw interceptions over the steady, calming influence of the 'experienced gamemanager'?

Not too many.

That said, it couldn't hurt for the Steelers to inject Dixon at stages through the game, just to keep the defense on it's toes a little.

I think the coaching staff is just trying to survive the first 4 weeks and if that means starting Batch to manage the game and not have Dixon out there making rookie or young mistakes then whatever. I just wanna be able to go 2-2 through the stretch without Ben but with the way Dixon played in Denver, I have very little confidence that we could accomplish that feat.

If Batch can stay on the field and not get injured I truly believe he gives us the best chance of getting to 2-2 without Ben. The guy is accurate and can at least manage a game!!!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>