Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as Week 1 starter

Report: Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as Week 1 starter

Report: Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as Week One starter

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2010

With Ben Roethlisberger suspended and Byron Leftwich injured and Dennis Dixon not ready, the guy who'll likely start the Steelers' regular-season opener is the guy who got the fewest offseason, training camp, and preseason reps with the starters.

Charlie Batch.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers are "likely" to give Batch the nod against the Falcons.

For now, though, Batch hasn't been told he'll get the assignment.

"You look back, we had three solid guys who were able to go in, step in, if needed," Batch said. "Now we're down to two. Over the weekend, they'll determine what's going to happen. Either way, I'll be ready to go."

Four years ago, Batch learned on Labor Day weekend that he'd be starting the Thursday night season opener against the Dolphins, after Roethlisberger underwent an emergency appendectomy. That night, Batch completed 15 of 25 passes for 209 yards and three scores, good for a passer rating of 126.5. He has started one game since then -- the 2007 regular-season finale, against the Ravens.

Before Leftwich's injury on the most recent Thursday night, Batch was in danger of being cut. He'll now potentially lead the way for the first four games of the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-starter/

Re: Report: Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as Week 1 starter

Starting Batch will be a complete nightmare. Wake me up when it's over.

Steelers Dennis Dixon says WHAT?

Posted by eric.schmidt
    September 4, 2010

When Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon picked up a copy of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning, he had to have said, ” WHAT?” Dennis Dixon was in a long protracted quarterback battle with Byron Leftwich to see who would be named the Pittsburgh Steelers starter while Ben Roethlisberger serves his 4 game league suspension. The newspaper is reporting this morning that Charlie Batch will likely be named the Steelers starter in week one.

Yes, the same Charlie Batch that almost retired, the same Charlie Batch that was reported to be on the bubble. Charlie Batch went from #4 on the depth charter to front and center starter in week one. Dennis Dixon got the majority of the reps in the preseason. Yes, he did have a poor outing in his last game, but really? Demote him and put Charlie Batch in as the lead dog?

I seriously disagree with this move if what is being reported is true. This is a total slap in the face to Dixon, there has to be something more to this story than people are letting on. This is similar to a Tarvaris Jackson/Sage Rosenfels type deal. Rosenfels clearly out-played Jackson and his reward-being shipped out of town. Dixon gets the majority of the preseason work and then is told to sit.

You put the quarterback in that gives you the best opportunity to win games. Charlie Batch attempted 2 passes last season after being out of the league in 2008. If Batch deserves the start over Dixon, then perhaps they ought to simply release him if they feel he’s not ready to start.

Ridiculous.

http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2010/

I 100% agree with Eric. Ridiculous.

This says a lot of what Tomlin's comfort level with Dixon's progress or lack of. I hope they at least give DD some packages.

You don’t really want Charlie Batch to start week 1 do you?

By Dagger, on September 4th, 2010

I’m having a hard time believing what I have been hearing over the past 48 hours. Charlie Batch was 3 quarters of preseason football away from wearing the Black/Gold for the last time and here were are today, with a surprising amount of Steeler fans stating their case as to why Batch should start the season as our #1 QB. In fact I just finished reading an article in the Post-Gazette that hinted at Batch being the starter.

The fans out there that want Charlie Batch to start week 1 need to remember something. The ONLY reason you want Batch to start is because you see him as a game manager. He won’t hurt the team with bad or untimely mistakes. Folks, in the NFL that is not what you want at the QB position.

Hand the ball off a bunch of times, throw a pass or two in order to keep a drive going, don’t get sacked, don’t throw interceptions, just don’t lose us the game. Hey, this idea actually doesn’t sound so bad….but you are forgetting a few key aspects of this argument. Teams that have used the “game manager QB” model all had a few things in common: Dominating defenses, fantastic Special Teams play, and smash-mouth top of the league Rushing attacks that racked up yards and time of possession. Guess what people, if we are to go by what we saw in 2009, the Steelers have None of the Above. A team with a suspect secondary, a poor offensive line, an average running game, and lackluster Special Teams play with a game manager at QB = bottom tier NFL team.

Having said that, I’m on record in predicting that the Steelers defense will be great this year, but will they dominate like they did a few years back? Will they recapture their record-setting form? Will we hold all of our opponents to 10-13 points? If you plan on having a “game manager” in their at QB you better not be giving up 20+ pts or you’re toast.

Sure the Steelers lead the NFL in rushing yards per game this preseason but is that going to carry over into the regular season? If Batch is your QB it better carry over. If he is your QB then the entire production of your offense is put on the shoulders of Mendenhall and your 5 Offensive Linemen. Sound a bit frightening? Yeah, it does.

If you’re going to be playing close, down-to-the-wire football games for the next 4 weeks you better have stellar Special Teams play. Anybody reading this post have confidence that our Return units can give our offense short fields to work with? What about the our Punt and Kick coverage units? Are we going to pin teams back in their own end and win the field position battle? You better hope so. With a “game manager” at QB you are going to have to use your Special Teams to set you up with short fields.

If Charlie Batch is your QB next weekend you need all of these pieces to come together each and every week. Put a guy like Ben Roethlisberger on the field and obviously he has the skill and playmaking ability to overcome other shortcomings the team might have. Does Dennis Dixon have the same arm, the same sense, the same playmaking ability? No, but he has a lot more to offer the offense than Batch does and for that reason, I’m pulling for Dennis Dixon to get the nod. You certainly don’t want or need him to throw 35 passes per game but his ability to make plays – inside the pocket, outside the pocket, with his arm, and with his legs -is an asset you have on the field that doesn’t exist with Batch under Center.

We all need to remember that this isn’t college or high school football. You can’t hide your QB in the NFL; you can’t pass the ball 3 times per quarter and expect to win. The other team is going to score and the running game won’t always be there. If you don’t have a QB capable of going out and winning games for you, you’re going to have major problems. Dixon gives the team a better chance to win games when the other parts of the team are not clicking.

Let me also remind you that Charlie Batch got almost no action this entire preseason and when he did, he was facing off against 4th and 5th teamers. He was leading the Steeler offense against guys that are being cut today.

For those of you making the argument that Dixon hasn’t had enough experience and will make dumb mistakes….I really can’t argue with that. He may make mistakes from time to time but all QBs do. You just hope he makes enough positive plays to lead the team to victory and overcome any struggles he might have on the field. And take a look at Charlie Batch’s “vast experience” over the past 7 years:

1. Batch has completed 76 passes since 2003. (Since 2006 Batch has completed 18 passes. Dixon has completed 12. Charlie played in a couple of games 3 years ago so he is obviously the guy for the job? I don’t get it.)

2. Batch has 8 TD passes since 2003.

3. Batch has only appeared in 23 games since 2003.

Let me ask you this….do you think the Falcons, Bucs, Titans, and Ravens want to see Charlie Batch or Dennis Dixon at QB? Exactly.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... ou/3169405

Legend

Let me also remind you that Charlie Batch got almost no action this entire preseason and when he did, he was facing off against 4th and 5th teamers. He was leading the Steeler offense against guys that are being cut today.
    Just like Dixon.

Then he went to Denver against the real players and played like crap.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Just like Dixon.

Then he went to Denver against the real players and played like crap.
    Batch played against good players in the league. He has experience, still throws a nice ball, and knows what it takes to win. His biggest obstacle has been his fragility in recent years. If he can stay healthy, I like the team's chances to win with Batch at QB.

SMOKE SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly believe in my gut that this is merely a smoke screen and that Dixon will play 75% of this game or more.

If Batch plays this entire game I'm gonna me very upset and very thankful I'm still in Iraq till the bye week!!!

I will lose my bet if Batch plays!!! no doubt!! When was the last time Batch played?? Seriously??? And everytime he does play he BREAKS something!!! This is so dumb!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This better be a smoke screen as I feel it is!!!!! or hope it is!!!! LOL

Benchwarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie36
    SMOKE SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly believe in my gut that this is merely a smoke screen and that Dixon will play 75% of this game or more.

If Batch plays this entire game I'm gonna me very upset and very thankful I'm still in Iraq till the bye week!!!

I will lose my bet if Batch plays!!! no doubt!! When was the last time Batch played?? Seriously??? And everytime he does play he BREAKS something!!! This is so dumb!!!

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This better be a smoke screen as I feel it is!!!!! or hope it is!!!! LOL
    I actually was coming to this thread to post the same thing.

It all comes down to game planning.

For the Falcons, if they bite, they'll be planning for an all-around mediocre (yet capable) quarterback when in reality, they'll be getting Michael Vick-lite.

That's going to drive them nuts.

Hopefully we're right and hopefully they bite. For now, Tomlin's just gotta keep that P-P-P-Poker Face