Thread: Random Kicker thought

Backup

User Info Menu

Random Kicker thought

I know theres alot of things to talk about besides this but, was anyone else surprised to see Kasay drill a 51 yd FG at Heinz field? I'm going strictly from memory....I didn't look up stats to back it up but it seems like kicks over 48 yds never go in at home.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Re: Random Kicker thought

Quote Originally Posted by isonator07
    I know theres alot of things to talk about besides this but, was anyone else surprised to see Kasay drill a 51 yd FG at Heinz field? I'm going strictly from memory....I didn't look up stats to back it up but it seems like kicks over 48 yds never go in at home.
    Yeah I was a little. He was about a foot away from making two from 51 yards. But I'm thinking kicking at Heinz in November is dramatically different than kicking there in August.

Backup

User Info Menu

Excellent point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' preseason gone without a win
    Steelers sign off on preseason without getting a victory as Carolina wins, 15-13, on last-play field goal
    Friday, September 01, 2006
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06244/718233-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06244/718233-66.stm[/url]

Steelers Q&A: This season the PG's Ed Bouchette will be answering your questions about the Steelers in a new feature exclusive to post-gazette.com. Click here to submit your question for consideration now and watch for more details about the Steelers Q&A in the days ahead.
    The Steelers and Carolina Panthers made a good case for a shortened preseason last night when they slapsticked their way through a dreadful night of football at Heinz Field.

Many starters did not play, and the action on the field reflected it. There was no Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Heath Miller nor Cedrick Wilson for the Steelers' offense. The first-teamers who did take the field played only one series. The Steelers' entire starting defense did not play at all.

They did keep score, however, in the fourth and mercifully last exhibition game. Carolina won, 15-13, on Jon Kasay's 29-yard field goal, his fifth of the game, as time expired.

Cedric Humes' 4-yard run for the game's only touchdown had given the Steelers the lead with 3:41 left.

Thus, the Steelers experienced only their second winless preseason in 41 years (their 1987 team went 0-4). They kick off the entire NFL regular season when they open defense of their Super Bowl championship Thursday night against the Miami Dolphins in what should be a much different atmosphere at Heinz Field.

Last night was not exactly a tuneup for the season opener, not for either team, which set back the game 19 years to 1987 when strike teams competed in the NFL. Better football will take place tonight when the high schools kick off their season. Steelers fans, sensing a stinker early, stayed away as plenty of empty yellow seats stuck out.

To show how seriously coach Bill Cowher did not take the game last night, he sent in his fourth quarterback with 10:33 left in the first half. Omar Jacobs replaced Shane Boyd, who replaced Charlie Batch. The comedic topper came when, with 2:30 left, Ricardo Colclough returned a punt, had only the Carolina punter to beat for a touchdown, slipped and fell down, got up without being touched and spiked the ball ala Plaxico Burress. The officials, with a straight face, ruled Colclough threw an illegal forward pass.

Veteran halfback Duce Staley, their starter two years ago and now seemingly fighting for a roster spot, got plenty of work last night. He ran 19 times for 46 yards and looked better -- while running behind backup offensive linemen -- than he has all summer.

Jacobs played nearly three quarters and looked good doing so, perhaps even enough to win the No. 3 job, although that might still land him only on the practice team. His 46-yard pass to Walter Young preceded Humes' short touchdown run. Jacobs completed 13 of 18 for 179 yards and a 103.7 passer rating.

The Steelers' touchdown came after Kasay kicked four field goals for Carolina and Jeff Reed two for the Steelers.

Reed made sure the game would not end in a scoreless tie when he kicked a 40-yard field goal late in the first quarter.

The Steelers' offense, or whatever it was that was out there at the time, "moved" 12 yards on seven plays to put Reed in position for his kick. It came after Colclough recovered his second Stefan LeFors fumble of the first quarter to go along with a sack. Colclough gave the Steelers a shot at taking an earlier lead when he recovered an errant sideways pass ruled a lateral when receiver Karl Hankton could not handle the toss from LeFors.

Colclough recovered and scampered 24 yards with the ball to the Carolina 7, where the Steelers offense set up shop. But, on second down, Batch underthrew rookie Santonio Holmes on the right side of the end zone, and it was intercepted by cornerback Richard Marshall.

"Santonio ran a good route, but I pushed it too far inside and it needed to be way outside for him to make the play," Batch said.

The game deteriorated quickly. On one Carolina punt early in the second quarter, Panthers' rookie Jovon Bouknight was penalized 10 yards for grabbing and pulling the Steelers' Sean Morey down. With the Panthers punting again after the penalty from the 10, Bouknight pulled Morey down again and again was caught by the officials. For good measure, the Panthers also were penalized on the play for ineligible receiver downfield.

Thus, the Steelers took over at Carolina's 39 and, with Staley doing most of the running, made it to the nine but no farther. Reed came on and kicked a 27-yard field goal this time for a 6-0 lead.

Kasay struck from 54 yards for Carolina 1:48 before the half, the longest field goal kicked in Heinz Field, although it won't go in the books. He tied the game, 6-6, when he kicked a 40-yard field goal with nine minutes left in the third quarter.

John Kuhn, trying to pull an upset and knock Staley out of a job, did not help himself when he lost a fumble after an 18-yard pass reception in the third quarter.

The Panthers turned that miscue into their first lead, 9-6, when Kasay knocked home No. 3, this one from 38 yards with 3:09 left in the third quarter. The vaudeville routine continued. Carolina's Nate Salley was penalized 44 yards for pass interference against Willie Reid. That gave the Steelers a first down at the Panthers' 22. On their first play, Jacobs completed a short pass to rookie tight end Charles Davis. He ran to the 12 and fumbled when hit. Carolina safety Jermaine Hardy picked up the ball and ran 56 yards to the Steelers' 34.

Naturally, the Panthers could not score a touchdown, and Kasay kicked his fourth field goal, from 35 yards.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Speaking of random kicker thoughts, the Texans decided to keep Neil Rackers over Kris Brown. I wonder if the Steelers would be willing to bring Kris back to kick and Heinz once aga...

Okay, sorry...I couldn't even keep a straight face typing that.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.