Thread: No decision on Steelers' starting QB yet

No decision on Steelers' starting QB yet

No decision on Steelers' starting QB yet
    By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, September 4, 2010
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 97908.html

Now that Byron Leftwich is injured and likely out two to four games, and Ben Roethlisberger's suspension has been cut to four games, Dennis Dixon appears to be in line to start the season at quarterback for the Steelers.

But the team has yet to make that official, and it could opt for veteran Charlie Batch instead.

Leftwich, who took the most preseason snaps with the first team and was the presumed starter during Roethlisberger's absence, suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee during the second quarter of Thursday's final preseason game. Leftwich was at the team facility Friday, walking with a limp but without crutches.

"I feel for Byron because he worked so hard to get to this point," Batch said. "That's the way this thing goes sometimes."

Leftwich was injured when reserve tackle Jonathan Scott accidentally leg-whipped him while trying to make a block. Leftwich made it back to the huddle and was ready to call the next play before he went to one knee and summoned the training staff.

"That's what (stinks) about the preseason," safety Troy Polamalu said. "You don't want to go in with one of your major vets going down. I don't want to say (the preseason is) meaningless. But, in a lot of ways, it is meaningless."

The injury was anything but meaningless. All indications point to Dixon getting only his second career start when the Steelers open the season Sept. 12 against Atlanta.

"It's an opportunity, I guess," said Dixon, 25, a third-year pro and the least experienced of the Steelers' quarterbacks. "It's unfortunate for Byron, but this team has to continue to look forward."

During the preseason, Dixon threw for 327 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions while completing nearly 72 percent of his attempts. He also ran for 91 yards and was sacked three times.

Dixon, though, hasn't had much work with the starting offense. His only first-team snaps in the preseason came Sunday against Denver, when he completed 9 of 16 passes for 94 yards and two interceptions, including one in the end zone.

On Thursday, Dixon threw a touchdown pass to Emmanuel Sanders on his only attempt. Dixon said he had "no idea" whether he'll start against the Falcons.

"I'm just worried about practice come Monday," he said. "Whoever's taking the helm, I know they'll be able to take control of the game."

That could be Batch, even though he appeared to be little more than an afterthought much of the past month. Batch put himself back in the mix with a solid performance against the Broncos, completing 3 of 4 passes for 44 yards and a touchdown. His only incompletion was when Sanders ran the wrong route, resulting in an interception.

Despite playing more than two quarters Thursday, Batch attempted only four passes. For preseason, he was 7 of 10 for 64 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

"This wasn't the first time I was faced with making this roster," Batch said. "Back in 2005, it was the same way. Against Carolina, I had to go out and finish a preseason game and had about 2 1/2 quarters of work to prove that I belong on this team, and here we are five years later."

Batch hasn't played much in those five years, starting four games and going 3-1.

"I have confidence in whoever it is Dennis or Charlie," Roethlisberger said. "Both of them are great quarterbacks."

Added Batch: "Either way, I will be ready."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

Re: No decision on Steelers' starting QB yet

Get used to that headline, you'll be hearing it for 4 weeks.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Charlie Batch goes from possible release to possible starter

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 3, 2010

Before Byron Leftwich sprained his MCL Thursday night, the conventional wisdom in Pittsburgh was that Charlie Batch was going to get cut this weekend. Now he might start against the Falcons in nine days.

Speaking on ESPN's Sportscenter Friday, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette guessed that Batch would be the team's starter, with Dennis Dixon coming off the bench in the prepared "packages" the team was getting ready when Leftwich was the presumed starter.

Bouchette made it clear he wasn't "reporting" Batch was the pick, but he also hinted at the possible move in Friday's paper. And we've read him long enough to know he wouldn't hint at it unless there was a damn good chance Batch would get the call. ESPN's Chris Mortensen also thinks Batch could get the call.

Based on coach Mike Tomlin's previous statements on his quarterback issue, the Steelers probably won't announce anything for as long as possible.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-starter/

Hall of Famer

im a little suprised that batch seems like the guy. i thought dixon would be starting. i really dont know who i perfer. the denver game scared the hell out of me. i still dont think i have seen dixon throw a deep ball to wallace. that would be the decision maker for me.

The Steelers need to use this to their advantage. If their plans truly are to start Batch and let DD take a good amount of snaps during the game as a change of pace (which is something I would really like to see), then they need to play this close to the vest and keep Atlanta off guard. Let them both take snaps with the first team during practice. It won't work once they play their cards in the first game, but at least keep Atlanta from knowing who they need to prepare for. The quarterbacks could not be any more different in style, which Atlanta would have problems preparing for. If I'm Tomlin, I wouldn't say anything.

tomco09

Sorry but Batch should start. Period. Logically, it's the only way we ensure a 2-2 record.
    Look what if Dixon goes down game one? Then you start batch with risk of him getting hurt before we even get out of game #2... then what? bring in another vet? loose roster spots? Start Batch gives us at least 2 w's if he goes down then we have dixson and can make it to the bye, by that time Ben is back and so is Lefty...then you cut Batch and we have our QB's for the season...makes the most sense