Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for TJ Houshmandzadeh

Benchwarmer

The Case for TJ Houshmandzadeh

Amongst the Matt Leinart talk, I figured I'd dabble with a suggestion of my own: former Cincinnati receiver TJ Houshmandzadeh.

As many of us know, the longtime Bungle became a free agent last offseason after a rather bitter divorce with the team. The reality was, however, Houshmandzadeh was not in the same class as Randy Moss contrary to his belief. He waited longer than most free agents before signing a fat 5-year/$40 million dollar contract with the Seattle Seahawks.

Unfortunately, for both parties involved, this had the makings of a disaster before the ink dried. The Seahawks were a lesser team than the Bengals in every regard, the Jim Mora Jr. era was beginning (to end) and he was set to be the number one receiver--something he never was or ever will be (not necessarily a bad thing, more on that later).

Lo and behold, Matt Hasselbeck proved to be even further gone than Carson Palmer, Pete Carroll replaced Mora and Housh was limited to rather low numbers on the year. Now, with talk of his impending release, the question is raised; should we take a flier?

Before I even get started with my argument, let me begin by saying that I would encourage such an acquisition ONLY in the event of a release. I would NOT support a trade for Houshmandzadeh and his current contract.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get started.

If we were able to sign Houshmandzadeh, his role would be as our #3 (slot) receiver. This is where he would be best suited, given his penchant for holding onto the ball for solid gains. It's my belief that in Seattle (and even in Cincinnati), Housh was simply asked to do too much. Sure, he was one of the better #2's in the league, but he's proven himself to be a top 3 slot man.

At this current time, Ward and Wallace are locked in as our one and two, but the picture painted beyond them isn't so clear. Arnaz Battle and Antwaan Randle El are reliable, but have proven to have been nothing special these past few years, while Emmanual Sanders is clearly a project.

Houshmandzadeh has shown slight signs of decline at age 33, but in a case of relativity, he's still far better than the options we have beyond Ward and Wallace. Last season, with the platoon of Matt Hasselbeck and Seneca Wallace, he duplicated the previous year's ~900 yds and 3 tds (with Carson Palmer and Ryan Fitzpatrick). It's no doubt the men throwing him the ball have reeked of mediocrity and it's worth mentioning that 900 yards is a mark he hasn't fallen under for 6 straight years. That's impressive.

So now we have to ask ourselves; isn't that better than what Randle El and Battle could offer us? Definitely!

The only pause for hesitation is in regards to Houshmandzadeh's special team value; none. If we were to acquire Houshmandzadeh, it would be my guess that Antonio Brown would be shown the door, leaving us with:

Ward
    Wallace
    Houshmandzadeh
    Randle El/Battle
    Sanders

That's 5 or 6, depending on the special teams value elsewhere on our team.

In closing, you always want to make your football team the best you can personnel-wise and Houshmandzadeh could make us better. This is especially true for us (Dixon or Batch) who will need all of the weapons they can throw to in order to stay afloat in football's toughest division... and when Ben comes back, we have an elite passing attack when we factor in Miller.

Oh and I'm sure Housh wouldn't mind getting some revenge on his former team...

Thoughts?

Re: The Case for TJ Houshmandzadeh

Anyone who uses the terrible towel to shine his cleats is not welcome in the Burgh.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Pro Bowler

....didnt' Lendale White do that? Wasn't there a lot of Lendale love on the board?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

That was very well thought out, and kinda rational. Unfortunately, I really have a short answer for you

Hell NOOOOOOOO

Let the shoe-bomber basttich rot in rainy, whiny, dainty Seattle.

Benchwarmer

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    That was very well thought out, and kinda rational. Unfortunately, I really have a short answer for you

Hell NOOOOOOOO

Let the basshoe-bomber tich rot in rainy, whiny, dainty Seattle.
    Thank you.

I, myself, hate the idea of signing division players (even if they are a year removed), however, sometimes they make the most logical sense, as in this case.

While Housh's actions in that incident were offensive, I don't think we would've thought twice had Hines done something similar to Cincinnati (if they had a symbol like the towel (other than paper bags!)).

No one ever expected Terrell Owens to play in Dallas either and sure enough...

(Houshmandzadeh isn't a fraction the diva TO is. I'm just saying that a player going to a team after an insulting action towards the said team isn't unprecedented)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelskin

Hell NOOOOOOOO

Let the basshoe-bomber tich rot in rainy, whiny, dainty Seattle.
    Thank you.

I, myself, hate the idea of signing division players (even if they are a year removed), however, sometimes they make the most logical sense, as in this case.

While Housh's actions in that incident were offensive, I don't think we would've thought twice had Hines done something similar to Cincinnati (if they had a symbol like the towel (other than paper bags!)).
    No, I understand, and what you say makes perfect sense. I don't blame the guy for wanting to get away from Cincy and Ocho, he knew he was never going to win a title, and Ocho was holding him back. But with Lendale, TJ, those guys have to live with the consequences of what they did. They knew what the Steelers fanbase was like, at least TJ did.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    ....didnt' Lendale White do that? Wasn't there a lot of Lendale love on the board?
    Yes, the curse continues. Housh ends up in the abyss and Lendale is out for the year.

Benchwarmer

No, I understand, and what you say makes perfect sense. I don't blame the guy for wanting to get away from Cincy and Ocho, he knew he was never going to win a title, and Ocho was holding him back. But with Lendale, TJ, those guys have to live with the consequences of what they did. They knew what the Steelers fanbase was like, at least TJ did.
    Agreed.

Like any other move, this has its pro's and con's.

I guess we'll see what happens in a few days... It's certainly debatable! (Moreso than LenDale, who tore his ACL last night, by the way)

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Yes, the curse continues. Housh ends up in the abyss and Lendale is out for the year.
    Good Call.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

If we didn't have Hines and Wallace I would say it would be something to bounce around but we do in my opinion have a good foundation for receivers and future receivers.
    " We'll do the same thing we always do, we'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.. If cheating will give us the edge as it has always done then, we will continue to cheat. " Bill Belichick