Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal Paolantonio: Ben to ask Goodell for 3-game reduction

Legend

User Info Menu

Sal Paolantonio: Ben to ask Goodell for 3-game reduction

just heard Sal Paolantonio on ESPN say Ben Roethlisberger's reps plan to ask for a 3-game reduction in his NFL suspension.

if Goodell has any sense of justice that's exactly what he should do...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Sal Paolantonio: Ben to ask Goodell for 3-game reduction

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    just heard Sal Paolantonio on ESPN say Ben Roethlisberger's reps plan to ask for a 3-game reduction in his NFL suspension.

if Goodell has any sense of justice that's exactly what he should do...
    What's the worst that could happen?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

I just saw CBSSportsNFL tweet that and was coming here to post it.

Hey, you don't get what you don't ask for. I think he should ask for it to be 2 and hope that it's 3 since he should have been given 0 to begin with.

Legend

User Info Menu

Updated: September 1, 2010

Sources: Steelers QB wants shorter ban

By Sal Paolantonio
    ESPN

In Friday's meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Ben Roethlisberger's representatives plan to ask the commissioner to reduce the six-game suspension by at least three games, bringing along team president Arthur J. Rooney II to the New York meeting to support the quarterback's case, sources with knowledge of upcoming proceedings told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Roethlisberger was suspended in April for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy a week after prosecutors decided not charge him in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

At the time, Goodell pledged to consider reducing the length of the suspension if Roethlisberger complied with a number of league imposed conditions, including a comprehensive behavioral evaluation, and stayed clear of any other off field problems.

Most observers believe Goodell has had in his mind all along to reduce the suspension by two games to four. But Roethlisberger's attorney, David Cornwell, is expected to ask for a greater reduction in the suspension, according to those with knowledge of discussions between the commissioners office and the quarterback's representatives.

Some in the Roethlisberger camp have argued since Roethlisberger is the first player suspended by Goodell under the personal conduct policy who has not been arrested, charged with or convicted of a crime, he should not be suspended more than two games. His camp has always considered the six game suspension too harsh. But few believe Goodell will go that far, and some in the Roethlisberger camp do not want to anger the commissioner by asking for too much.

Goodell wrote to Roethlisberger in April: "The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person' ....or conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL.' "

At the time of the suspension, Rooney released a statement agreeing with and supporting the Goodell's ruling. It's not known what role Rooney will play during Friday's meeting between the commissioner and Roethlisberger.

If the suspension is reduced to four games, as expected, Roethlisberger would presumably spend the Steelers bye in Week 5 getting ready to start at home against the Cleveland Browns in Week 6 -- giving him two weeks of preparation for his first game back.

Sal Paolantonio is an NFL reporter for ESPN.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5520964&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... LHeadlines[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

I like the fact that Rooney is supporting Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

espn anchor said "rumors are his reps will ask for AT LEAST a 3 game reduction"

make this right, rog

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by siss
    Where did you get that?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Where did you get that?
    Doubt Rooney II would stand by his side just for the heck of it.
    In Friday's meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Ben Roethlisberger's representatives plan to ask the commissioner to reduce the six-game suspension by at least three games, bringing along team president Arthur J. Rooney II to the New York meeting to support the quarterback's case, sources with knowledge of upcoming proceedings told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Where did you get that?
    Doubt Rooney II would stand by his side just for the heck of it.
    This was also reported on KDKA news tonight.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like his chances.....

I have always been of the mind that the penalty was so harsh because it was backed by Rooney with the commish.

If he is in fact joining Ben in asking for a greater reduction then I think that it has a good chance of working.