Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Lefty be stashed on the PUP list?

Legend

Can Lefty be stashed on the PUP list?

Just curious as I don't know all the rules involved with the PUP list.

Legend

Re: Can Lefty be stashed on the PUP list?

Any injured player can, but not sure what we gain. He would get 6 weeks where he could do nothing and then 3 weeks of training with the team. That takes us to mid-season where Ben would be back already for several weeks. Lefty then would be available for nothing more than a back up if Ben got hurt.

Personally I think they need to get a veteran QB now.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Any injured player can, but not sure what we gain. He would get 6 weeks where he could do nothing and then 3 weeks of training with the team. That takes us to mid-season where Ben would be back already for several weeks. Lefty then would be available for nothing more than a back up if Ben got hurt.

imo it would be worth it unless we can get a better veteran QB to back up ben. there isn't anyone out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

It would benefit the team if they felt Leftwich was the answer as the backup to Ben for the years to come, meaning this is Charlie's last hurah and they don't see a future for DD. But, they could just cut him, and I don't see anyone stepping in our way to resign him next offseason.

We do need a veteran QB who used to be a starter but will be satisfied with a backup role now. Lefty fits that bill but Dixon doesn't. He still has dreams of being a starter and I don't blame him.

Now that Lefty seems to be gone for an extended period of time we probably need to look for someone else. Is David Carr still floating around anywhere? He is the type that fits what we are looking for. Others have mentioned Sage Rosenfeld who could be worth a try. Garcia would only be good if we need him for the next 4 games but he is too old otherwise. Somebody else who might be worth a look is Chad Pennington. I think I heard he is on the bubble in dolphinland.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Somebody else who might be worth a look is Chad Pennington. I think I heard he is on the bubble in dolphinland.
    The funniest part about this is if we would have drafted Pennington the year or two before Ben, which many thought we were going to do, we would have never drafted Ben, and possibly never won two super bowls. Of course, we would have never gone through the motorcycle stuff, the hotel lady stuff, the atlanta stuff, but I digress. Now, if this were to happen, Pennington would be here and backing up Ben. And I think Pennington would be a great backup type of QB.

Pro Bowler

There isn't a better veteran out there that can walk in learn a playbook and be as effective as Batch. Frankly, if we get to the point where Ben gets hurt...the season is over and ew should just give Dixon the season to see if he is the future or a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    There isn't a better veteran out there that can walk in learn a playbook and be as effective as Batch. Frankly, if we get to the point where Ben gets hurt...the season is over and ew should just give Dixon the season to see if he is the future or a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    no. Lefty's not eligible.

A player is eligible for the PUP list if only if the player hasn't participated in training camp.

not 100% certain.
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Hall of Famer

[quote=PSU_dropout43]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2lkdpg2p
    no. Lefty's not eligible.

A player is eligible for the PUP list if only if the player hasn't participated in training camp.

not 100% certain.[/quote:2lkdpg2p]

That is my understanding of the rule on the PUP list as well. I believe that if a player participates in even one day of Training Camp, they are ineligible for the PUP list.

What is worth considering is whether Leftwich should be placed on the IR, or whether the Steelers may even want to release him with an injury settlement. He will be a dead roster spot to start the year; if a third QB is added, that is essentially 2 players left off the 53 man roster. Once Ben comes back, the Steelers can roll with Dixon and Batch as the backups. Since Lefty can't start in Ben's absence, his value to the team is, obviously, significantly diminished.