Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Predict the unexpected cuts and keeps

Legend

User Info Menu

Predict the unexpected cuts and keeps

Take a guess on who you think may get the surprise tickets out the door and who will stay that no one would have predicted a few weeks ago. My take:

Cuts: Legursky and Summers (maybe Eason)

Keeps: Urbik and Hartwig
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Predict the unexpected cuts and keeps

I'll take a stab:

Surprise cut: Ramon Foster
    Surprise keep: Urbik

Foster is essentially a backup guard, even though he played OT in college (as did Urbik). I think Urbik has flashed a bit in the past few games, and Foster's upside seems to be Trai Essex. 'Nuff said.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know if this qualifies as a "surprise" or not, but I'll also predict that Dwyer is cut and makes it to the Steelers practice squad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cuts: Batch, Hartwig, Dwyer, Foster, Eason

Keeps: Grisham, Logan, Sylvester, Bailey, Harris

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Cuts: Batch, Hartwig, Dwyer, Foster, Eason

Keeps: Grisham, Logan, Sylvester, Bailey, Harris
    Good list but I really hope we don't cut Dwyer to keep Logan and Grisham. When would Grisham ever see the field or be active on gameday?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OK...Base this on what I think (hope) will happen tonight.

CUTS:
    Batch-I think the Steelers will take a chance on going with 2 QBs while Ben is out. Batch could be picked up by the Cardinals or Giants but if the Steelers need to sign a QB while Ben is out, there will be options if Batch is signed elsewhere. Keeping esentially (4) QBS for 4 weeks is risking moving a guy like Dwyer, Sylvester, or Butler to PS.

*Battle-This is the one that is either one or the other with Madison. The coaches are high on Grisham and he could be put safely on the PS to keep a #6 close. Yes, Battle has a signing bonus. Yes he is a good ST player. And yes, he will be available if we need him back after week 1. But if he stays, you risk losing the signing bonus AND his salary this year if he is cut after week 1. That is also a healthy number. Battle just hasn't done enough, in my opinion, to stick around ahead of Sanders & Brown. Sanders & Brown will stay. They have impressed in many phases. That makes 5 & Ward, Wallace, El, & Brown are active gameday. Battle would be #5 on gameday if he stays and that would push Sanders to street clothes. Honestly, if they wanted to carry 6...I would pick Grisham over Battle.

*Madison-I like Madison's ST play over Battle. But Battle's position play is better. Toss up here. I think it is one or the other.

Hartwig-Hard to keep a 2 mil back-up that plays one position let alone one of the 2 active gameday spots. I think he made his own bed. Experience is nice but I believe Legursky outplays him at C and has more versitilty.

Urbik(PS)-If Colon doesn't get hurt, I think he makes the team. He has show improvement. Would be nice to see him with the 2nd team to see how much. However, Adams slow transition, Scott is the #2 RT, and Hills solid preseason will force the Steelers T heavy. Urbik's PS eligibility makes things a little easier. I think Legursky & Foster hold down the interior. I'm just not too confident that Foster has really seperated himself from Urbik that much. Did Foster take a step back or did Urbik close the gap a little.

Logan-With Brown's receiver play and what he has shown in the return game, I don't see how Logan keeps a roster spot. Too much young position talent to hold on to 6-7 ST players including the K,P, & LS. Logan has not shown any Position value and I think that will cost him. Logan will still be working somewhere else.

Eason-Eason & Harris are playing at the same level in my opinion. Harris could improve but Eason has experience. Last game could make the decision. Depending what other cuts they make, Both could make it if they keep 7 DL. However, they might need the spot somewhere else and Eason and/or Paxson will be on the street if needed. I do believe Worthington makes the PS.

Bailey-Good ST player but has not shown anything at LB in any of his preseasons. Sylvester gives you equal ST play with some good position potential.

KEEPS:
    Dwyer- (Hoping) Dwyer has a productive night tonight. Steelers are forced to keep him on 53. At who's expense? Summers? Carry 5 WRs and release Battle? Carry 6 DL and release Eason? Stay tuned!

Brown-As I said above, He has done enough and deserves a spot. Will be the returner and #5 WR gameday.

Sylvester-Good nose for the ball and loves ST. Bailey with position skill. Force Steelers keeping 9 LBs which includes the whole Steelers LB draft class.

Butler-Won't make it to the PS. Gifted athlete with raw skills. Skills are developed enough to make the team now. I actually see him moving up the depth chart pretty quickly.

Starter

User Info Menu

Surprise cuts: Farrior, Eason

Keeps: Sunny Harris, David Johnson
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PSU_dropout43
    Surprise cuts: Farrior, Eason

Keeps: Sunny Harris, David Johnson
    Cutting Farrior would be more than a surprise. I don't see anyway that happens. I do think this is his last year which is why you need to keep Sylvester.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Surprise cuts - A Randall Ell , Larry Foote
    Keep - Dwyer , Stephon Logan
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Surprise cuts - A Randall Ell , Larry Foote
    Keep - Dwyer , Stephon Logan
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]