Thread: Lefty has sprained ligament, out 2 to 4 weeks

Starter

User Info Menu

Lefty has sprained ligament, out 2 to 4 weeks

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee and he will miss two to four weeks with the injury, a source told the Post-Gazette today.

Leftwich, the presumed starter during Ben Roethlisberger's four-game suspension, was injured during the second quarter of Thursday night's preseason game against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

The Steelers have two other quarterbacks on their roster, veteran Charlie Batch and third-year player Dennis Dixon.
    Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/1084799-100.stm#ixzz0yUiJktdO"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10246/10 ... z0yUiJktdO[/url]
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Lefty has sprained ligament, out 2 to 4 weeks

We just posted at the same time . . . I get so tired of the "me first' media. The Trib has gotten many thing wrong, but they never seem to learn their lesson.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I've heard two different "insiders" now say that the Steelers will start Batch against Atlanta. It seems the coaches do not have much, if any, confidence in Dixon to "manage a game" and eliminate mistakes in Ben's absence.

ESPN also reported earlier this morning that Leftwich has told people that he will be ready to play week 1 against the Falcons, but most people seem to be dismissing that out of hand.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless7
    I've heard two different "insiders" now say that the Steelers will start Batch against Atlanta. It seems the coaches do not have much, if any, confidence in Dixon to "manage a game" and eliminate mistakes in Ben's absence.

ESPN also reported earlier this morning that Leftwich has told people that he will be ready to play week 1 against the Falcons, but most people seem to be dismissing that out of hand.
    The MCL tear story is just another example of why I am just about done listening to 'insiders". It happened with Ben's being traded at the draft as well, then we find out later that there were no real discussions. Lacanfora, Shefter, and even the local guys, it's just about getting to the point where they are passing their opinionss off as breaking stories. Doesn't anyone check their sources anymore?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless7

The MCL tear story is just another example of why I am just about done listening to 'insiders". It happened with Ben's being traded at the draft as well, then we find out later that there were no real discussions. Lacanfora, Shefter, and even the local guys, it's just about getting to the point where they are passing their opinionss off as breaking stories. Doesn't anyone check their sources anymore?

I agree. In this day and age really the only thing you can do is "wait and see". I take EVERYTHING I read on twitter, et al. with a huge grain of salt.

Legend

User Info Menu

I pointed out in the other thread, how in hades did Lefty's AGENT know (he was the source of the twitter feed) that he'd torn his MCL, before he'd even left the stadium?

It had about a 0.0000001% probability of being based on reliable information. And that's exagerrating.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Keeping in mind the last few posts of this thread...

Some Steelers fansite is reporting Dwyer made the team based on his tweet of:

"Thank you Jesus"