Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sly!

Hall of Famer

Re: Sly!

He'll be a starter some day. You can't throw away that sort of draft value. He is fearless and has good athleticism, speed, and instincts. He will improve quite a bit over the next few years.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Steelers notes: Sylvester keeps making plays

By: Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff Beaver County Times
    Friday September 3, 2010 01:39 AM

PITTSBURGH -- Stevenson Sylvester may have clinched a spot on the Steelers' roster.

The rookie inside linebacker out of Utah had another strong preseason performance Thursday night in a 19-3 win over Carolina.

In the second quarter, Sylvester was especially effective with two impressive plays.

The first was a big hit when he drilled Dantrell Savage as the Panther running back bobbled a short pass over the middle. The second was a sack of quarterback Hunter Cantwell for a 13-yard sack.

Sylvester, a fifth-round draft choice, did jump off-sides once. But he still played well as he battled for a roster spot.

If the Steelers keep eight linebackers as they did last year, they may have to choose between Sylvester, rookie Thaddeus Gibson, a fourth-round pick out of Ohio State, or third-year pro Patrick Bailey.

But if the Steelers keep nine linebackers, it’s hard to imagine Sylvester not making the team.

Sylvester led the Steelers with two preseason sacks.

LINEBACKER SHUFFLE

Two of the Steelers’ four starting linebackers didn’t play.

Inside ‘backer James Farrior sat out as a gash on the side of his head continues to heal. Farrior needed six stitches Sunday when he was cut while making a tackle in Denver.

Farrior was replaced by Larry Foote.

Outside ‘backer James Harrison was out of the lineup due to minor shoulder injury. In Harrison’s absence, Lawrence Timmons moved from his usual spot inside to the outside.

Starting in Timmons’ spot was Keyaron Fox.

Meanwhile, William Gay started at cornerback in place of Bryant McFadden, who sat out with a chest muscle injury.

QB NUMBERS

Ben Roethlisberger started at quarterback for the Steelers and played two series. He completed 4 of 6 passes for 39 yards.

Dennis Dixon came in for just one play in the second quarter after Byron Leftwich left with a left knee injury. Dixon threw a 23-yard touchdown as to rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders and compiled a perfect 158.3 passer rating, his second of the preseason.

CUTS COMING SOON

The Steelers must cut 22 players by 4 p.m. Saturday in order to get to their mandatory 53-man roster.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... plays.html

Pro Bowler

from everything I've read and I haven't been able to watch the kid play much but I just can't see how he doesn't make the team.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    jeez

last couple mins of the game and he's all over the QB.

big mistake if they cut him
    NJ, he spent most of the second half in the Panthers backfield, not just the last couple of minutes. Me thinks he is a lock, and will contribute this season.
    yeah

i just meant even in the last minute of the game the guy is still going kamikaze to get to the QB