Thread: Quarterbacks, Lewis on the spot in final preseason game

Legend

User Info Menu

Quarterbacks, Lewis on the spot in final preseason game

Quarterbacks, Lewis on the spot in final preseason game
    By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Thursday, September 2, 2010
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697531.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 97531.html[/url]

The Steelers play their final preseason game today at 7 p.m. at Heinz Field. It is a chance for those fighting for roster spots to make a closing argument, with final cuts looming Saturday. Here are three storylines to watch when the Steelers play the Panthers:

» Quarterbacks — Ben Roethlisberger has said he wants to play, but there will be limited snaps for the quarterbacks because the starters will play sparingly. If Byron Leftwich opens the season as the starter - and all signs point to that - coach Mike Tomlin may have to give him all of the work with the first-team offense.

» Keenan Lewis — The second-year cornerback nearly erased all of the good work he has done during the preseason with his poor play against the Broncos. Lewis drew Tomlin's ire for losing his poise both on and off the field. He gets another chance to start opposite Ike Taylor, with Bryant McFadden still out because of a pectoral injury.

» Running backs — Rookie Jonathan Dwyer gets a chance to build on his performance in Denver, where he rushed for 89 yards and a touchdown. Assuming Isaac Redman has already locked up a roster spot and the Steelers open the season with four running backs, the battle for the final spot is likely between Dwyer and fullback Frank Summers.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Quarterbacks, Lewis on the spot in final preseason game

i hope Dwyer wins that roster battle...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dwyer is kind of a no brainer to me. David Johnson (or McHugh) is a better fullback. Summers has not played his way onto this team. He'd be the worst blocking FB in the league.

Summers would also likely make it onto the PS. Who is going to pick him up based on tape? Dwyer, on the other hand, could be scooped up by another team with RB injuries.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwyer could be a solid addition to a very thin RB group (Basically Mnedy and thats it). Summers adds nothing.

I will be ticked if we cut Dwyer but no one on the Southside really cares about that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

I disagree...Moore has more than proven himself is games that matter...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I disagree...Moore has more than proven himself is games that matter...
    Nobody is arguing against Moore, he is considered a lock.

Mendy and Moore locked in at 1-2

Redman assumed as #3

Dwyer or Summers the fourth.