Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: It's clear - Tomlin has mishandled Steelers QBs

Re: Ron Cook: It's clear - Tomlin has mishandled Steelers QBs

Oh, Ron Cook! Isn't second guessing someone with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight so much fun?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Oh, Ron Cook! Isn't second guessing someone with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight so much fun?!?
    Well, there is that, and the fact I think Tomlin handled the QB situation pretty well, actually. He pretty much had to see what Dixon was made of. I wanted to see how he reacted after that pick-6 too. If he is seriously considering letting DD start, you need to see how he reacts in situations like that before pulling the plug on the situation completely. In this case, the plug is likely getting pulled, and he gave DD enough of a shot.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    What a reactionary collection of drivel. The only thing I agree with, is that they gave too many reps to Dixon on Sunday. Aikman agreed with the move to start Dixon in the 3rd and I thought it was overkill. I do like what Crash said about starting Ben in games 1 & 2, then sitting him last week...I think it made more sense. But to state Tomlin has mishandled the situation is nothing more than a reflection of how poorly Dixon and Lefty played on Sunday. If either one of those guys shined, then Cook would have kept his cake-hole shut...like he should have.
    ^^ with what he said, especially the last part. Media types, and I assume Cook is among them, were clammering for Dixon for the past two weeks, so Tomlin gives the kid a shot, then some more in the second half to shake off the pick six and see how he reacts. Dixon played poorly, as did Dixon, and somehow Tomlin handled it wrong?
    Exactly!!! All the know nothing, former yearbook staff socalled journalists have been clamoring for Dixon and when he gave them what they wanted he showed what know nothing idiots they were. The coaching staff has known for 6 months that Dixon wasn't ready for primetime and for anyone who wanted to see during OTAs and camp it was clear that it was going to be Leftwich because of experience and Dixon's lack of readiness. You don't turn a back up QB into a front line starter during 3 weeks of camp. That takes years.

The media, and some fans, are the ones who are clueless and screwed this up by falling in love with a notion that was an illusion against 3rd string players.
    if that really is the case then we are in serious trouble. if mike tomlin is doing whatever the fans and so called experts in the media think he should do then the steelers wont win many games. i think the reality is mike tomlin thinks the gap between lefty and dixon isnt all that big. if lefty wasnt a statue or if he had a quick release or we had a dominant o-line there probably wouldnt be any question of who the starter will be for the first four games. seeing lefty play against denver just magnifies our problem with him. if he is blitzed and the protection isnt there than he is a sitting duck. that is all we will see the first four weeks. at least with dixon he can get away from a pass rush once in a while.

i dont have any problem with how tomlin has handled this situation except for saying lefty was the man months ago. ben should of played against denver and i had no problem with how much time dixon played.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    What a reactionary collection of drivel. The only thing I agree with, is that they gave too many reps to Dixon on Sunday. Aikman agreed with the move to start Dixon in the 3rd and I thought it was overkill. I do like what Crash said about starting Ben in games 1 & 2, then sitting him last week...I think it made more sense. But to state Tomlin has mishandled the situation is nothing more than a reflection of how poorly Dixon and Lefty played on Sunday. If either one of those guys shined, then Cook would have kept his cake-hole shut...like he should have.
    ^^ with what he said, especially the last part. Media types, and I assume Cook is among them, were clammering for Dixon for the past two weeks, so Tomlin gives the kid a shot, then some more in the second half to shake off the pick six and see how he reacts. Dixon played poorly, as did Dixon, and somehow Tomlin handled it wrong?
    Exactly!!! All the know nothing, former yearbook staff socalled journalists have been clamoring for Dixon and when he gave them what they wanted he showed what know nothing idiots they were. The coaching staff has known for 6 months that Dixon wasn't ready for primetime and for anyone who wanted to see during OTAs and camp it was clear that it was going to be Leftwich because of experience and Dixon's lack of readiness. You don't turn a back up QB into a front line starter during 3 weeks of camp. That takes years.

The media, and some fans, are the ones who are clueless and screwed this up by falling in love with a notion that was an illusion against 3rd string players.
    if that really is the case then we are in serious trouble. if mike tomlin is doing whatever the fans and so called experts in the media think he should do then the steelers wont win many games. i think the reality is mike tomlin thinks the gap between lefty and dixon isnt all that big. if lefty wasnt a statue or if he had a quick release or we had a dominant o-line there probably wouldnt be any question of who the starter will be for the first four games. seeing lefty play against denver just magnifies our problem with him. if he is blitzed and the protection isnt there than he is a sitting duck. that is all we will see the first four weeks. at least with dixon he can get away from a pass rush once in a while.

i dont have any problem with how tomlin has handled this situation except for saying lefty was the man months ago. ben should of played against denver and i had no problem with how much time dixon played.

No way was Tomlin appeasing fans or the media. he doesn't care what either thinks. I think they wanted to see if Dixon was capable of running some packages against a first team defense, i.e. the QB bootleg on 4th and 1. I expect they want to be able to put Dixon in as a change of pace and needed to see if he could handle that.

I don't thing in Tomlin or Arians mind the notion of Dixon ever starting was even considered. They just see too much in practice that probably says not ready.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

I was surprised to see Ben out there to start the game but he was gone in a flash so no harm no foul.

Dixon was given too many reps but maybe they wanted to see if he would bounce back after the first INT. Way too many people are acting like QB's don't force passes or throw INT's in the endzone. It happens...

I really don't see this as a bad thing because teams still have no clue who are starting QB will be and honestly it doesn't really matter because we are just trying to piece together a puzzle to win 4 games.

Starting Batch would probably be the smart thing to do. But Batch is old and fragile... and anyone who disagrees is lying to themselves LOL!!

2007 Atlanta game (he finished but I think he was listed as hurt the next game)
    2008 Green Bay QB sneak,
    2009 KC game

and he broke his collarbone in a preseason game somewhere in there too.

but the guy is still good and has composure. Lefty has moments but he hasn't wowed me on the short passes underneath.

Ron Cook....stick to your job and let the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers do his job.

Like this (the Roethlisberger suspension), is an easy thing for any head coach to handle. Wow!!
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Legend

Compared to how Whisenhunt has screwed up the QB situation in Arizona, Tomlin has been downright masterful in handling what was a no win situation since Goodell screwed us over.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Compared to how Whisenhunt has screwed up the QB situation in Arizona, Tomlin has been downright masterful in handling what was a no win situation since Goodell screwed us over.

Nice there O. Job well done!!
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Jon Gruden thinks Steelers should go with Dennis Dixon

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2010

Much debate has occurred regarding whether the Steelers should entrust the short-term quarterbacking job to Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon, during the suspension of starter Ben Roethlisberger.

Dixon earned a shot at work with the first-team by dramatically outperforming Leftwich in the first two preseason games, during which Leftwich played with the starters and Dixon played with the reserves. After Dixon stunk it up on Sunday night against Denver's top defense, the pendulum seemed to swing back to Leftwich.

Count ESPN's Jon Gruden among those who aren't convinced that Leftwich is the answer.

"The Steelers are a team that really relies on Ben Roethlisberger's improvisation,'' Gruden said during a Monday Night Football conference call, according to Jim Corbett of USAToday.com. "I've never seen a guy create more offense on his own. He gets out of some of the most incredible situations where he makes plays where they have him sacked twice and he still completes a pass.

"The guy who fits them the best right now, the guy I would go with is Dixon.''

Gruden pointed to Dixon's mobility and his time in the system. "I realize he threw a couple of interceptions against Denver," Gruden said. "I just think his escapability, his ability to run for two first downs, create another two first downs scrambling out of trouble, checking it down, or finding a big play down the field gives him the edge over these other two quarterbacks. . . . All they have to do is win like they won in Ben's rookie year, run the ball, play good defense -- don't turn it over and make some timely plays in the passing game . . . . Dennis Dixon can do that.''

Adding an extra layer of intrigue to Gruden's assessment is the fact that, from 2002 through 2005, Gruden's defensive backs coach in Tampa was a guy who is now the head coach of the Steelers.

So will Mike Tomlin listen to the guy to whom he once routinely deferred? Stay tuned.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nis-dixon/

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

Nice there O. Job well done!!
    Just sayin......

Arizona is a mess. Obvious personality conflict between Whis and Leinert (remember Ben had issues with Whis too) has made that situation untenable. For Derek Anderson to be your go to guy and to do nothing to get a better QB in the off season or through the draft they have totally screwed themselves. Lucky for them they are in the weakest division in all of the NFL.