Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewis didn't score with Tomlin on or off the field

Lewis didn't score with Tomlin on or off the field

Lewis didn't score with Tomlin on or off the field
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, August 30, 2010
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 97081.html

DENVER A bad night Sunday got worse for cornerback Keenan Lewis as the Steelers filed into the visiting locker room at Invesco Field following a 34-17 loss to the Broncos.

Lewis, who got benched in the second quarter after picking up two personal foul penalties, punched a sign that was encased in glass. The glass shattered and many of the players had to walk by a guard telling them to watch their step and Tomlin making it very clear why there was broken glass outside of the Steelers' locker room.

"That's what you call young and dumb right there," Tomlin said to the players that passed him. "Watch your step. No. (23) is playing bad and doing stupid stuff as well."

Lewis started at the cornerback spot opposite Ike Taylor in place of Bryant McFadden, who didn't play because of an arm injury.

Lewis, who appeared to be pushing McFadden for the starting job gave up an 18-yard catch to Eddie Royal on the second play of the game and then tackled the Broncos wide receiver out of bounds.

"The first (unnecessary roughness penalty) I didn't know he was out of bounds," Lewis said. "The second one, that was my fault."

Lewis got flagged in the second quarter for unnecessary roughness after tackling Bronces wide receiver Brandon Lloyd.

Gay promptly replaced Lewis at cornerback, and after the game Tomlin said of the latter, "He stunk it up."

The 6-foot, 208-pounder Lewis didn't do anything to help himself after the game as Tomlin was livid when he saw the broken glass outside of the Steelers' locker room.

Lewis said he meant to punch the wall, not the sign.

"He had a tough night," said Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace, who is Lewis' best friend. "That's why I told him we have next week. Shake it off, bounce back. We all make mistakes. Hopefully he can get back to the Keenan I know."

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: Lewis didn't score with Tomlin on or off the field

I must say, Tomlin looked positively Cowher-like when he grabbed Lewis coming off the field after his 2nd personal foul.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

He should have grabbed him by the facemask

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    And given him the spittle shower.

I didn't realize that Lewis also punched out some glass. Very disappointing.

I wonder if he is going to get another opportunity next week, or if Tomlin is going to sit him down to prove a point?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

I wonder if he is going to get another opportunity next week, or if Tomlin is going to sit him down to prove a point?
    Sit him down? He may be fortunate to be on the team after tomorrow. Mike Tomlin was not a happy camper with his play or behavior.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

Sit him down? He may be fortunate to be on the team after tomorrow. Mike Tomlin was not a happy camper with his play or behavior.

Pappy
    I'm not sure why we drafted him in the first place. He was overdrafted and hyped as an Ike Taylor type corner by the STeelers front office. I've been patient and waited for results. I was happy to hear he had a good camp. However, I've never seen him play well on the field in the preseason (this year or last). He does not have Taylor's footwork, speed, backpedal, or drive on the ball in front of him. He is a project who may not have the raw skills to yield enough results. He looked lost out there and was consistantly beaten.

Honestly, I'd go with Crezdon Butler and Madison (we need him on special teams). Butler has shown me more than Lewis has in preseason games and has received rave reviews throughout camp. Butler would make a great dime back and has fantastic ball skills. My corners would be IKe, BMac, Gay, Butler, Burnett (who plays decent special teams and can play the nickel in a pinch), and Madison (our coverage units looking mighty iffy AGAIN. Thanks Captain Kangaroo.)
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Personally, I don't believe that either infraction was worthy of a 15 yard flag...

Smashing a glass sign is immaturity of Jeff Reed-like proportions and is very disappointing...

But, I can understand why Lewis was frustrated...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Pro Bowler

It's a pre-season game so no harm no foul and I think coach Tomlin did a great job with his disciplinary action on this one, at least so far. Keenan needs to play better and then not lose his head when he's the one that didn't play well in the first place.

It's his first start in the pro's, the next one better be...well...better.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I hope a shard of glass didn't fly up and cut Farrior on the head.

Legend

Lewis looked like a kid who had no control over his emotions. He lost his cool fast. He was easily turned and he was just too hyped up.