Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Final 53

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: My Final 53

Alright, take 2 after last nights game.

Lefty will not be available while Ben is gone if at all for the season. I think the Steelers feel Batch is fragile and may bring in another QB. Could possibly be a PS QB because he won't help game 1. Let's assume Lefty to PUP or IR & J Scott's injury isn't serious. Scott might miss some time which means another injury at OT will cause alot of shuffling. Urbik benefits from this and they might carry 10 OL until Scott is healthy.

I also like to give props to Bailey & Urbik for last nights play. I was critical about Bailey's position play and he did very good last night. Don't know if it is enough to make the team but congrats to him.

Urbik actually had a solid game. Look very good pulling and moving guys off the ball. Needs to be a little more under control in space when he gets to the 2nd level. If it wasn't for the missed block on Tyler when he dropped Dwyer, he would have had a very good game. Legursky pulling/fold behind Urbik's block limited what Urbik could do on the penetration to counter but Urbik needs to take the first step of the fold more aggressively of the snap to cut off the penetration angle so Legursky could come off his block. I think his progress this season and that game would at least get him on the PS. In my opinion, outplayed Foster the entire pre-season. Very disappointed in Fosters play. I was anticipating a big step year 2. He took a step backwards through the preseason and Urbik came forward.

There are some bubble guys I stuck on. Urbik makes it because of Scott's injury. Burnett's play didn't impress but I think he sneaks on over Madison. But he lost his rotation spot to a fast climbing Butler so perhaps Madison gets the nod. Both Urbik & Burnett will be first to go if they need to add outside their position. Battle is another. I wouldn't put him on based on play at WR but if they don't keep Madison I believe he makes it.

Here's my 53 + *2:

QB (2) --Dixon, Batch, *Roethlisberger
    RB (4)--Mendenhall, Redman, Moore, Dwyer
    FB (1)--Johnson(#3 TE)
    TE (2)--Miller, Spaeth
    WR (6)--Ward, Wallace, Randel-El, Sanders, Brown, Battle
    OL (10)--Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Essex, Adams, Hills, Foster, Legursky, J Scott, Urbik
    PK (1)--Reed
    P (1)--Sepulveda
    LS (1)--Warren
    DL (6)--Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hood, Hoke, Eason
    LB (9)--Harrison, Farrior, Timmons, Woodley, Foote, Fox, Gibson, Worilds, Sylvester
    CB (6)--Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Lewis, Butler, Burnett
    S (4)--Polamalu, Clark, Allen, Mundy

PUP
    *C Scott

IR
    Lefty???

Practice Squad:
    Harris might not clear or want to sign here. I believe they might look to add a QB (just in case) & an OT. Usually carry a true RB on the PS but I believe Dwyer will get plenty of work as the scout team runner. Good way to get him work.

Worthington, Grisham, Cromartie-Smith, Bright, Brooks, Harris, Summers, (QB/OT)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Alright, take 2 after last nights game.

Lefty will not be available while Ben is gone if at all for the season. I think the Steelers feel Batch is fragile and may bring in another QB. Could possibly be a PS QB because he won't help game 1. Let's assume Lefty to PUP or IR & J Scott's injury isn't serious. Scott might miss some time which means another injury at OT will cause alot of shuffling. Urbik benefits from this and they might carry 10 OL until Scott is healthy.

I also like to give props to Bailey & Urbik for last nights play. I was critical about Bailey's position play and he did very good last night. Don't know if it is enough to make the team but congrats to him.

Urbik actually had a solid game. Look very good pulling and moving guys off the ball. Needs to be a little more under control in space when he gets to the 2nd level. If it wasn't for the missed block on Tyler when he dropped Dwyer, he would have had a very good game. Legursky pulling/fold behind Urbik's block limited what Urbik could do on the penetration to counter but Urbik needs to take the first step of the fold more aggressively of the snap to cut off the penetration angle so Legursky could come off his block. I think his progress this season and that game would at least get him on the PS. In my opinion, outplayed Foster the entire pre-season. Very disappointed in Fosters play. I was anticipating a big step year 2. He took a step backwards through the preseason and Urbik came forward.

There are some bubble guys I stuck on. Urbik makes it because of Scott's injury. Burnett's play didn't impress but I think he sneaks on over Madison. But he lost his rotation spot to a fast climbing Butler so perhaps Madison gets the nod. Both Urbik & Burnett will be first to go if they need to add outside their position. Battle is another. I wouldn't put him on based on play at WR but if they don't keep Madison I believe he makes it.

Here's my 53 + *2:

QB (2) --Dixon, Batch, *Roethlisberger
    FB (1)--Johnson(#3 TE)
    TE (2)--Miller, Spaeth
    OL (10)--Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Essex, Adams, Hills, Foster, Legursky, J Scott, Urbik
    PK (1)--Reed
    P (1)--Sepulveda
    LS (1)--Warren
    LB (9)--Harrison, Farrior, Timmons, Woodley, Foote, Fox, Gibson, Worilds, Sylvester

PUP
    *C Scott

IR
    Lefty???

Practice Squad:
    Harris might not clear or want to sign here. I believe they might look to add a QB (just in case) & an OT. Usually carry a true RB on the PS but I believe Dwyer will get plenty of work as the scout team runner. Good way to get him work.

Worthington, Grisham, Cromartie-Smith, Bright, Brooks, Harris, Summers, (QB/OT)
    I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I do think they at least consider another QB. I'd look at Sage Rosenfels from the Vikings.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Totally agree, Nasty. Summers should not be our FB. I'd also really like to see us keep Urbik because he has looked good this PS. Two questions: the new LS Stewart played well last night, so I'm wondering if they think he can cover punts better than Warren?

Second is more opinion, but can we find a spot on the 53 for Worthington? He has been very impressive in his limited opportunities.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Totally agree, Nasty. Summers should not be our FB. I'd also really like to see us keep Urbik because he has looked good this PS. Two questions: the new LS Stewart played well last night, so I'm wondering if they think he can cover punts better than Warren?

Second is more opinion, but can we find a spot on the 53 for Worthington? He has been very impressive in his limited opportunities.
    The Stewart / Warren thing is puzzling to me. I'm not sure if it was something lacking in Warren or the fact they didn't want Warren taking all the reps. I did notice Warrren struggling in change of direction when covering. God we need a postion player who can long snap.

Besides Harrison.

Worthington did enough to stick around. I think we could hide him on the PS. I still think he would be #5 at DE no matter if they keep Eason or Harris. The hard part is letting a non finished product go. We know what we get with Eason. He won't be anything more than what he is now. But...You could plug him in to start. I don't think the Steelers are comfortable with that role for Harris or Worthington as of yet. I think it would take an injury along the DL to get him on the 53. If the Steelers decide to keep 7 DL...His chances are much better against Harris. If they only keep 6...I believe he is headed for the PS.

Legend

User Info Menu

After last night's game, I've revised what I think the Steelers will do.

QB (2) Dennis Dixon, Charlie Batch
    RB (3) Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman
    TE (3) Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, DJ Johnson
    WR (6) Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Antwaan Randle El, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Arnaz Battle
    OL (9) Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Maurkice Pouncey, Trai Essex, Flozell Adams, Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster, Jonathan Scott, Tony Hills

DL (7) Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Chris Hoke, Nick Eason,
    Sunny Harris
    LB (10) James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Keyaron Fox, Stevenson Sylvester, Jason Worilds, Thaddeus Gibson, Patrick Bailey
    S (4) Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy
    CB (6) Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler, Anthony Madison

K (1) Jeff Reed
    P/K (1) Daniel Sepulveda
    SN (1) Greg Warren

Suspended: QB Ben Roethlisberger (obviously, someone gets moved off the 53 when he returns

IR: OT Willie Colon
    IR: WR Limas Sweed
    PUP: OT Chris Scott
    PUP: QB Byron Leftwich

To PS: Dwyer, Worthington, Urbik, Jolly, Grisham, Cromartie-Smith, Brooks, Summers

I would cut Foote and Battle (can't see what they offer except experience), in which case Urbik stays on the top 53. I would put El in the same category as Foote and Battle, except he can be a return man if the rookies don't pan out, plus he can serve as an emergency QB (and we may need that with Charlie Glass playing backup). I would prefer to see the Steelers keep Logan, because of his ST value, but I don't think they will.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Stewart / Warren thing is puzzling to me. I'm not sure if it was something lacking in Warren or the fact they didn't want Warren taking all the reps. I did notice Warrren struggling in change of direction when covering. God we need a postion player who can long snap.
    A player like Urbik would be smart to work on this, wouldn't he? I would think long-snapping ability would have to increase his chances of making the team, and would save the team a position on the roster.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    A player like Urbik would be smart to work on this, wouldn't he? I would think long-snapping ability would have to increase his chances of making the team, and would save the team a position on the roster.
    It would help a bubble player. But you really want a TE-LB type because he is free to run and needs to get down field. Big guy like Urbik might have to stop for oxygen half way down. I believe McHugh did some at PSU but never did one for the Steelers. The player that really could benefit from learning would be a guy like Bailey. He has the right build and could cover. Get him to learn and the guy will be a roster lock for 10 years. It isn't an easy thing to do and just starting to do it at the pro level probably won't be enough to get the job. If you did some in High School or College, there was probably something there and coaches pushed you in that direction.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OK...Tomlin says J Scott's injury isn't serious and Lefty is out 2-4 weeks. No need to keep Urbik on 53 & sounds like Hartwig is gone. Let's try this again!

Here's my 53 + *2:

QB (3) --Dixon, Batch, Lefty, *Roethlisberger
    FB (1)--Johnson(#3 TE)
    TE (2)--Miller, Spaeth
    OL (9)--Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Essex, Adams, Hills, Foster, Legursky, J Scott
    PK (1)--Reed
    P (1)--Sepulveda
    LS (1)--Warren

PUP
    *C Scott

Practice Squad:
    Worthington, Grisham, Cromartie-Smith, Bright, Brooks, Harris, Summers, Urbik

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

@JDwyer41- Thank you Lord
    12 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
    Looks like Dwyer made the 53. He deserves it after showing he can learn and demonstrating great potential.