Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Umpire positioning problem

Pro Bowler

Re: Umpire positioning problem

I like the rule. I don't like that the umpire has to be 15 yards from the LOS. It seems to me that about 8-10 yards will do fine, especially if he is offset a bit from the center. The rule takes away another play-affecting factor too. You really want minimal external interference on the play.

It's time a rule came around that benefits the D a little bit. The rule makers have been putting handcuffs on the D over and over now for quite a while. As far as Manning complaining about it ... well, the other QB has the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    While the rule may be iffy I've never been a fan of the Peyton "hurry up and try to get a penalty on the other team" type of football.

The offense already gets a bunch of advantages and I think this may be a way of letting the D get set.
    Snapping the ball before the D can shift is not trying to get a penalty on them.

I hate this rule and have from the first snap with the umpire behind the RB.
    I have no problem with snapping before the D shifts but Manning also tries to catch teams when they are substituting. If Manning completes a 20 yard pass and then they sub 3 guys on the field while running up to the line the D should have a chance to adjust IMO. When they do Manning is snapping the ball to get a quick 5 yards.

I think this rule (while protecting the ump) is also in place to slow the game down alittle and help out the D for a change.
    The ball is spotted at a point when both teams have had a chance to substitute. What you see Manning doing is trying to catch teams on *late* substitutions. Newsflash for you: Every team tries to do that when they can.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    While the rule may be iffy I've never been a fan of the Peyton "hurry up and try to get a penalty on the other team" type of football.

The offense already gets a bunch of advantages and I think this may be a way of letting the D get set.
    Snapping the ball before the D can shift is not trying to get a penalty on them.

I hate this rule and have from the first snap with the umpire behind the RB.
    I have no problem with snapping before the D shifts but Manning also tries to catch teams when they are substituting. If Manning completes a 20 yard pass and then they sub 3 guys on the field while running up to the line the D should have a chance to adjust IMO. When they do Manning is snapping the ball to get a quick 5 yards.

I think this rule (while protecting the ump) is also in place to slow the game down alittle and help out the D for a change.
    The ball is spotted at a point when both teams have had a chance to substitute. What you see Manning doing is trying to catch teams on *late* substitutions. Newsflash for you: Every team tries to do that when they can.
    every team except us... when have we ever tried a quick snap? LOL?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a324b4/article/umps-moving-back-to-old-positions-at-end-of-preseason-finales

I guess the ump's can't get hurt in the last 5 min's of the game

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

Well, you guys aren't answering my question: why not jst employ a person who runs in, spots the ball, and runs out... and let the ump stand at his ready position on the field?

And for the record: I don't necessarily think Peyton does that to draw penalties... it's a byproduct of running a version of a hurry-up (that keeps defenses on it's heels). It's not like he's doing all of it for the purpose of setting them up for delay penalties or whatever. He's trying to take advantage of his great command, and a defenses substitutional practices.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Well, you guys aren't answering my question: why not jst employ a person who runs in, spots the ball, and runs out... and let the ump stand at his ready position on the field?

And for the record: I don't necessarily think Peyton does that to draw penalties... it's a byproduct of running a version of a hurry-up (that keeps defenses on it's heels). It's not like he's doing all of it for the purpose of setting them up for delay penalties or whatever. He's trying to take advantage of his great command, and a defenses substitutional practices.
    Wouldn't the distance for someone to spot the ball and then run to the sidelines be greater than the distance for the umpire to spot the ball and run to his spot in the backfield?

Legend

They already changed playoff OT rules for Manning and Favre so when both bitch about this one it will be changed back.