Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we overlooked someone?

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Have we overlooked someone?

Out of curiosity, does anyone think Stephan Logan could be used as a change of pace RB?

Mendy, Moore, Redman, Logan anyone?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Re: Have we overlooked someone?

Ok, i'll bite... Let's look at this logically. What are Logan's skills? (that we know of)

Quickness. I wouldn't say he has dominating top end speed, but i do think he has quick feet and decent change of direction.

Vision. He has good vision in the open field but i don't think that applies to holes in the OL. (assuming our o-line could actually create holes).

Hands. We know he tried out a little bit at WR but apparently he did not make enough of an impression to stick. He usually catches most punts but i've seen him muff a couple, as well as fumble a couple.

So, if he were to make the final 53, where would we use him? Or more importantly, what does he give us that others do not?

Obviously, we could use him as a return man on both KO's and punts. And he does make for an interesting coverage guy if he can use his quickness to get "around" blocks, but in many instances he lacks the strength to get "through" them.

As for the RB position, he does bring us a little bit of a poor man's Willie Parker. He has quickness to bounce it outside, and might be effective at screen passes or outlets in the flat. The problem is opposing defenses know that, and they will make the appropriate adjustments any time we put him in the game. They'll know we won't run him up the middle because: (1) We can't open holes. (2) Even if we could, he probably doesn't have the strength to withstand the contact. I would not put Logan in the same category as a Darren Sproles who can beat defenses on his own. He's not that fast. At this point in our team's development, we don't have the OL to support a back like Logan. When we had maulers like Faneca, Hartings, Simmons, etc. that was different. Right now we need our backs to have the power to produce yards after contact. Not to mention his pass blocking is very sub-par. I see Moore as comparable to Logan, just not quite as quick, but a better blocker and pass catcher.

in conclusion, it would be a costly roster spot. Probably costing us either: Brown, Butler, or Dwyer. (each of whom i would rather have in his place). I'm not saying he "couldn't contribute. I just think it wouldn't be as effective under first string game conditions.

Legend

Let me help...NO!!!!

No way do you cut Brown, Butler or Dwyer to keep a 29 year old Logan. Logan is maxed out at what he can be.

Does anyone really still think Brown is on the bubble. If we cut him some other team will grab him in a New York minute and get a very good player. I'd cut Battle or ARE and keep Brown.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Last year I touted this concept, but no one bit. There's this very effective "change of pace" RB that has the same dimensions (weight/height) and speed as Logan, who splits duties in the return game as well as being an extremely effective #2 back, yielding a butt load of fantasy points last year.... his name is Darren Sproles.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Let me help...NO!!!!

No way do you cut Brown, Butler or Dwyer to keep a 29 year old Logan. Logan is maxed out at what he can be.

Does anyone really still think Brown is on the bubble. If we cut him some other team will grab him in a New York minute and get a very good player. I'd cut Battle or ARE and keep Brown.
    This is quite scary :P but, once again, I agree with Ovi. Too much potential in Brown, Butler or Dwyer to expose them for a 29 year old Logan.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Let me help...NO!!!!

This is quite scary :P but, once again, I agree with Ovi. Too much potential in Brown, Butler or Dwyer to expose them for a 29 year old Logan.

Pappy
    See Pappy. Everyone eventually gets it and agrees with me

It just takes some people longer than others.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

NO. I'd rather keep the guys with potential than the older guys who may be, at best, only slightly better right now. We need to cut Logan, Hartwig and Summers to make room for guys like Brown, Butler, Worthington, and maybe even Dwyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    NO. I'd rather keep the guys with potential than the older guys who may be, at best, only slightly better right now. We need to cut Logan, Hartwig and Summers to make room for guys like Brown, Butler, Worthington, and maybe even Dwyer.
    But if that is the case I would rather see ARE or Battle go. As much as I like ARE I don't think he brings anything to the table that the young guys don't. Summers still hasn't shown me anything while Dwyer finally got on my scoreboard. He showed me what some of you guys have been talking about.

I am not sold on Brown as the return guy but Logan hasn't done anything this preseason either. I'm getting the feeling that our special teams still remain not special. I'd like to keep Logan if possible as the return man and a change of pace back. He might be 29 but it's a young 29.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Not that Chadman necessarily disagrees with some of you- BUT- for those championing the virtue of youth over age- this is quite a young team in many areas.

If the argument is a younger RB on the roster (Dwyer) over Logan- Mendy & redman are also both young- do we need another young RB?

If you argue Antonio Brown over ARE- we have Wallace & Sanders on the roster- both young. Chadman will concede though, that he believes Brown should also be on the roster.

As for Worthington- he's a PS player right now. Chadman doubts teams are going to jump over themselves to grab him.

As Asian said- there are comparable players to Logan that are effective in the NFL. It also gives the Steelers a dual-purpose player, freeing up a roster spot elsewhere.

That said, watch Logan get cut..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Not that Chadman necessarily disagrees with some of you- BUT- for those championing the virtue of youth over age- this is quite a young team in many areas.

If the argument is a younger RB on the roster (Dwyer) over Logan- Mendy & redman are also both young- do we need another young RB?

If you argue Antonio Brown over ARE- we have Wallace & Sanders on the roster- both young. Chadman will concede though, that he believes Brown should also be on the roster.

As for Worthington- he's a PS player right now. Chadman doubts teams are going to jump over themselves to grab him.

As Asian said- there are comparable players to Logan that are effective in the NFL. It also gives the Steelers a dual-purpose player, freeing up a roster spot elsewhere.

That said, watch Logan get cut..
    i'm with you. plus they know what logan can do once the regular seasonn starts.

i think butler has a spot over madison

and brown will get hurt by keeping madison's replacement as a gunner. i still think him and dwyer make the PS...pretty easily IMO

if brown can show that he indeed is better at returning then its a no brainer keeping him over logan, i dont think he's shown that