Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver Game - Random Thoughts and Observations

Denver Game - Random Thoughts and Observations

For me, the general theme tonight was disappointment. Lots of young guys getting a chance, and most were unimpressive.

- I Hope Farrior is ok. Hopefully it is just a gash, and nothing more serious.

- Sepulveda disappointed on KOs again. Then again, Reed wasn't any better.

- The offense is still frustrating in red zone.

- I was hoping for big things from Keenan Lewis, but was really disappointed. Who knows how deep those personal fouls get him in the doghouse. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but I hoped to see more.

- I know that I'm a critic of the Timmons pick, but I'll certainly admit that he looked good.

- Did Brown play his way out of a roster spot? He made some nice grabs (including the touchdown), but was generally unimpressive on returns, showing poor decision making. Logan didn't do much, but we know what he can do on returns.

- IMO, Dixon’s best pass was the incomplete pass to Wallace late in the second quarter - I was glad to see him keep his eyes downfield when he got out of the pocket. Otherwise, I was unimpressed with Dixon. I was thinking, at one point, that he looked a bit better running the 2 minute drill, but then he ended it with a terrible decision. He may be ok in some special packages, but overall, I think it was clear that Leftwich will be the starter while Ben is gone. Even though he had a few nice runs, he wasn't as quick when playing against first stringers.

- Great picks by Gay and Butler, but then Butler turns around and gets beat.

- The special teams are still terrible. Why does it look like the Steelers never have any blocking for their return guys? A few nice plays from Sylvester and Logan of all people covering KOs, but it would be nice if Sepulveda didn't always have to take an active role covering punts.

- Some good, hard runs from Dwyer. Not sure if it gets him on the 53, but still a nice effort.

- Tank Summers doesn't impress me at all as a FB - if the Steelers can get a real blocking FB on waivers, they should do so without hesitation.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Denver Game - Random Thoughts and Observations

Did Dwyer just earn himself another look on the roster?

Quite possibly.

Dixon did what Chadman expected- some good, some bad. He's the #3 QB on the team. Leftwich was brought in to hold the spot until Ben is back. Leftwich is Batch Mark 2. He doesn't have to be great- just servicable.

The OL...hmm....starting to think that Essex should go & just let Foster play. Can't be much worse. Adams will make the team, Max & Kemo hopefully pull their head out & do 'something' on the left. Waiting for the Kugs effect to take place...

Defense is playing very vanilla. Not too worried at this stage. Timmons looks ready...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    For me, the general theme tonight was disappointment. Lots of young guys getting a chance, and most were unimpressive.

- I Hope Farrior is ok. Hopefully it is just a gash, and nothing more serious.

- Sepulveda disappointed on KOs again. Then again, Reed wasn't any better.

- The offense is still frustrating in red zone.

- I was hoping for big things from Keenan Lewis, but was really disappointed. Who knows how deep those personal fouls get him in the doghouse. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but I hoped to see more.

- I know that I'm a critic of the Timmons pick, but I'll certainly admit that he looked good.

- Did Brown play his way out of a roster spot? He made some nice grabs (including the touchdown), but was generally unimpressive on returns, showing poor decision making. Logan didn't do much, but we know what he can do on returns.

- IMO, Dixon’s best pass was the incomplete pass to Wallace late in the second quarter - I was glad to see him keep his eyes downfield when he got out of the pocket. Otherwise, I was unimpressed with Dixon. I was thinking, at one point, that he looked a bit better running the 2 minute drill, but then he ended it with a terrible decision. He may be ok in some special packages, but overall, I think it was clear that Leftwich will be the starter while Ben is gone. Even though he had a few nice runs, he wasn't as quick when playing against first stringers.

- Great picks by Gay and Butler, but then Butler turns around and gets beat.

- The special teams are still terrible. Why does it look like the Steelers never have any blocking for their return guys? A few nice plays from Sylvester and Logan of all people covering KOs, but it would be nice if Sepulveda didn't always have to take an active role covering punts.

- Some good, hard runs from Dwyer. Not sure if it gets him on the 53, but still a nice effort.

- Tank Summers doesn't impress me at all as a FB - if the Steelers can get a real blocking FB on waivers, they should do so without hesitation.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

Dixon didnt help his cause with that INT in the endzone.

Is Lefty any better? He looked like he had no interest coming in late in the 3rd. It would have been nice/reassuring if he marched us down field.

The OL is still hard to watch. Pouncey was great but he other guys were terrible tonight.

Lewis was boo boo. I know he is young but it looked like he takes completions too personal. He was easily turned around.

The D as a whole was bad. The 5 to 7 yard out is easy money. It's there all night and unless CB's start jumping routes or Troy turns it on it could be a long year.

Timmons is a beast.

Dwyer surprised me and finally played like we all hoped. It may still be too late.

Reed made a great comment. It definietely looks like the ST's players don't want to be out there. Sep showed how hard it is to kick it in the endzone. Denver did it wth ease but Sep couldnt do it once. He is great at fighting off blocks but hmmmm... Should he really have to make so many tackles?

Brown put Logan back in the mix... he made some terrible mistakes on ST's.

Overall we looked like hot garbage tonight. It looked like Tomlin and the other coaches said tonight will decide who makes the team and all the players tried way too hard to impress the coaches. Is rare we get to see the Steelers in prime time in the preseason and they stunk up the place.

Thin air? Is Denvers D that good? Does our O stink without Ben? Is our D headed for another long 4th quarter? Who knows but this is what preseason is for.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Is Lefty any better? He looked like he had no interest coming in late in the 3rd.
    Does Lefty EVER look interested?

Starter

Ditto on the Summers comments... not sure what he brings as a FB. At this point- I'd rather see Johnson lined up as the FB than Summers. - maybe even Redman - at least he is a real running threat.

I know it's preseason and all- but it is extraordinarily clear, how difficult this offensive line has with quicker athletic DLinemen. Pouncey makes the rest of the OL look like slugs.

The game hasn't slowed down for Dixon yet- maybe it never will. He looked uncomfortable, and certainly made some terrible decisions.

Lefty looks exactly like what I am afraid we get with him in there. ooooppphhh.

Dwyer was auditioning for someone else's roster- unless he has show some ability to play FB- that we have not seen.

Brown, imo, helped Logan's cause as the returner.

Kennan Lewis had a terrible night. On the plays that I could see him, he was getting caught back on his heels. When a DB does that its over.

Hartwig finaly got in- and one of his first couple snaps was a lookout block- that got Lefty smushed. In all fairness, Scott threw a lookout on the same play.

No real way to put lipstick on that pig. It certainly seemed like Denver came out more focused and intent upon winning the game. Pitt looked... well, they looked disinterested and confused.

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Is Lefty any better? He looked like he had no interest coming in late in the 3rd.
    Does Lefty EVER look interested?

one time back in his college days Leftwich looked very interested in helping his team win...

I don't think Dwyer makes the 53 man roster, but he may have at least secured an invite to the practice squad. He needs a redshirt year anyways.

The thin air didn't seem to help our kickers.

I would be more comfortable going into the season with Logan as the returning, but I don't see the numbers working out that way.

I am still waiting for Spaeth to either make a block or pick up a yard after a catch.

I think that Grisham would produce if given the chance, but he won't get it.

I thought that Sylvester played himself off of the 53 and onto the practice squad.

I would expect that 5 of these players will be released tomorrow: Jolly, Pitman, Wright, McLendon, Bright, Brooks or A. Jones

Quote Originally Posted by plainnasty
    I don't think Dwyer makes the 53 man roster, but he may have at least secured an invite to the practice squad. He needs a redshirt year anyways.

The thin air didn't seem to help our kickers.

I would be more comfortable going into the season with Logan as the returning, but I don't see the numbers working out that way.

I am still waiting for Spaeth to either make a block or pick up a yard after a catch.

I think that Grisham would produce if given the chance, but he won't get it.

I thought that Sylvester played himself off of the 53 and onto the practice squad.

I would expect that 5 of these players will be released tomorrow: Jolly, Pitman, Wright, McLendon, Bright, Brooks or A. Jones
    Gloom and doom for you huh? I'd like to see your 53, because i bet you have some washed up vets on there.

I think Sly is on the final 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Did Dwyer just earn himself another look on the roster?

Quite possibly.

Dixon did what Chadman expected- some good, some bad. He's the #3 QB on the team. Leftwich was brought in to hold the spot until Ben is back. Leftwich is Batch Mark 2. He doesn't have to be great- just servicable.

The OL...hmm....starting to think that Essex should go & just let Foster play. Can't be much worse. Adams will make the team, Max & Kemo hopefully pull their head out & do 'something' on the left. Waiting for the Kugs effect to take place...

Defense is playing very vanilla. Not too worried at this stage. Timmons looks ready...
    I would like to see Dwyer stay and Summers go.