Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I would keep Batch, at least till Ben comes back

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: I would keep Batch, at least till Ben comes back

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    He might be the best QB on the bench now!

Classic line by Aikman tonight: "Where's Bubby Brister?"
    He might be the second best QB on the team. He still throws a nice ball. His only problem is he is fragile as glass. Does not take much to break Charlie.
    [url=http://img576.imageshack.us/i/unbreakable3i.jpg/][/url]

Batch = Mr Glass?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Dumbest.Thread.Ever.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPbucco
    Dumbest.Thread.Ever.
    Unfortunately, that is not true.

Still, the fragile Batch comments are unfounded. He offers a lot, and should be kept IMO. How? I don't know, but he seems to be overlooked for no real reason. Lefty is a bandaid, much the same as Batch.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    Quote Originally Posted by JPbucco
    Dumbest.Thread.Ever.
    Unfortunately, that is not true.

Still, the fragile Batch comments are unfounded. He offers a lot, and should be kept IMO. How? I don't know, but he seems to be overlooked for no real reason. Lefty is a bandaid, much the same as Batch.
    Yeah, but the Byron band-aid is 5 years younger than the Batch band-aid. Band-aids tend to lose some of their stickiness over the course of 5 years.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers find themelves in an interesting position. CB outplayed both backup QBs last night. I was firmly in support of Leftwich playing the first four games on experience only, started to waiver a little bit until I saw the game last night, then I got back in the Lefty camp, although I didn't feel very good about it. Then I saw Batch play and now I don't know what to think. Charlie played against the third team, true enough, but he was pressured on just about every throw, and he read it every time and got a good ball out to the reciever. That's all you can ask out of your Qb at this point. Read the blitz, and get the ball out correctly. I still think the pick 6 was an error on the part of the receiver and that shouldn't happen playing with first teamers. Obviously, we can't keep all three of them, and we aren't getting rid of Dennis Dixon (rightfully so) but at this point, Batch in limited time has played all around better than Lefty. Lefty has more years ahead of him, I think, so that is in his favor as a backup, but what in the hell do the steelers do here?

Legend

User Info Menu

People overreact to what they have last seen. The ultimate "what have you done for me lately" point of view. For some reason, only last night matters, and the previous two preseason games, all of training camp, and all of the OTA's are thrown right out the window. Based on everything that I have seen and heard so far (not just last night like the reactionaries), this is what I expect to happen:

Leftwich will start the first 4 games.

Dixon will be used in special packages in the first 4 games.

Batch will be cut so that we can keep a 9th LB or 6th WR or 7th DL or whatever.

If Byron or Dennis experience a significant injury while Ben is still out, then you call Charlie back in, since another team is not going to pluck a 35 year old 4th team QB who does not know their offensive system (yes, even the Cardinals).

If both Byron and Dennis were injured in the same game, we could finish with some combination of Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle, and Hines Ward taking snaps, since they all played QB in college.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    People overreact to what they have last seen. The ultimate "what have you done for me lately" point of view. For some reason, only last night matters, and the previous two preseason games, all of training camp, and all of the OTA's are thrown right out the window. Based on everything that I have seen and heard so far (not just last night like the reactionaries), this is what I expect to happen:

If Byron or Dennis experience a significant injury while Ben is still out, then you call Charlie back in, since another team is not going to pluck a 35 year old 4th team QB who does not know their offensive system (yes, even the Cardinals).

If both Byron and Dennis were injured in the same game, we could finish with some combination of Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle, and Hines Ward taking snaps, since they all played QB in college.
    That would be cool. Imagine if someone were to draw up some kind of trick play where ARE might pass to Hines, there might be potential for a big play there. Nah, it could never happen!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

That would be cool. Imagine if someone were to draw up some kind of trick play where ARE might pass to Hines, there might be potential for a big play there. Nah, it could never happen!

Not with Bruce as the O.C.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Look at the body of work over the entire pre-season, factor in trends, and then decide.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They said today on the radio if Batch is on the team come the first game of the season Batch, is guaranteed $850,000.00 I bet that has something to do with it.

Between getting rid of Batch and Hartwig, the Steelers save I believe close to 3 mil. I think Hartwig would get 1.8 mil.