Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worried about the O-line yet?

Re: Worried about the O-line yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Is there any possible way we could somehow draft a guy with the same exact DNA as Maurkice Pouncey in the draft next year?

You read my mind.

"I hate to be mean, but when it comes to anything regarding the O-line, you're full of crap. If there's anything that needs to be checked, it's your IQ."

This is laughable- If you would check and ask the team who got rings after the SB win you'd know that EVERYONE got a ring. Including the OL- Shows you how much you know about the sport. It is the ULTIMATE team game, dude. Therefore, the OL DID help them get that ring. You just can't admit it because you're too closed-minded.

Let's check the resumes sometime between you and me.. I played OL for a div. 1 college- and you? let me guess- high school or pee wee ball and you know it all. Now if your resume includes OL play in the NFL, then you got one up on me. So please don't tell me I haven't a clue.

And I wonder why I don't visit this site as often as I used to......

I just reread your post again- you contradict yourself. Can you find it? I'll give you a hunt- play-making QB and OL. You can't have it both ways- if the QB is back there trying to make a play, he's inevitably gonna take more sacks. That isn't on the OL. Again- broken record here.. Later.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

I'm the idiot that freaks out when the third team corner back can't cover someone like Brandon Marshall so yeah, I'm a little concerned with the O-line.

Pouncey seems to make the other guys look bad though (at least from an un-trained eye).

One thing that does keep me grounded is the old "we won a Super Bowl with this line" and well, say what you want about Ben being in the zone, Holmes with the diving awesome catch, excellent "D" through most of the game, etc. It was still these guys for the most part on the line that won 15 games, including 3 playoff games, that year.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    "I hate to be mean, but when it comes to anything regarding the O-line, you're full of crap. If there's anything that needs to be checked, it's your IQ."

This is laughable- If you would check and ask the team who got rings after the SB win you'd know that EVERYONE got a ring. Including the OL- Shows you how much you know about the sport. It is the ULTIMATE team game, dude. Therefore, the OL DID help them get that ring. You just can't admit it because you're too closed-minded.

Let's check the resumes sometime between you and me.. I played OL for a div. 1 college- and you? let me guess- high school or pee wee ball and you know it all. Now if your resume includes OL play in the NFL, then you got one up on me. So please don't tell me I haven't a clue.

And I wonder why I don't visit this site as often as I used to......

I just reread your post again- you contradict yourself. Can you find it? I'll give you a hunt- play-making QB and OL. You can't have it both ways- if the QB is back there trying to make a play, he's inevitably gonna take more sacks. That isn't on the OL. Again- broken record here.. Later.
    If your resume is what you say it is, then that makes your post even more idiotic. You have experience and STILL can't see the writing on the wall. (You never answered me about your pal Kendall Simmons :P ) Unless, because you were a linemen, you take criticism of the line personally - and so refuse to acknowledge their shortcomings.

Your point about the rings is just silly. Sure EVERYONE got a ring, but that doesn't mean they were the reason we won. Even the backups got rings - including those that never played, like Dixon. You going to say he had a hand in us winning, too? And if the line is so great, how did we miss the playoffs in '09? You probably just blame that all on the defense.

And no, the point about a playmaking QB is NOT a contradiction. Making plays doesn't mean holding on to the ball forever on every pass. What on earth put that dumb idea in your head? Would you say the same about Manning or Brees? There were many plays where the line broke down instantly, only for Ben to escape the pressure and make a great play. And are you forgetting how bad our running game was? It was horrid. Of course, you'll probably just blame the running backs for that one.

Pro Bowler

Torch, you gotta look at things differently. He is saying actually that they weren't bad enough to PREVENT us from winning. NOONE is claiming they are a strength of this team.

But as things go, if you spend alot of drafts focusing on the OL, you'll slip a bit elsewhere. I think you'll see us spend a few more picks going forward on the OL and DL obviously. If we had been able to use Colon this year, this OL would have been far better than the last SB OL due to a bit more experience and Pouncey replacing Hartwig. But we lost Colon. I'm not sure what you really expect. We get 1 top draft pick a year to find a true stud. No team in the NFL is perfect everywhere. I think that's why people are calling you a worrywart. EVERYBODY has major problems. And this is the preseason. Pouncey WILL get better as the season progresses and the line will build chemistry. A new C requires time to get the whole OL functioning as they can. Which is not the best in the league, but could get us back to 'not killing us' status.

Simmons would still be here except for injuries and his difficulty with diabetes. As a OL, he wasn't as bad pre-injury as you make him out.

I am no more worried than I have been over the last three or four years at this point...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Well, it's all based on your opinions and perspectives now isn't it. To call something someone says idiotic based on your opinion is just closed-minded.

Furthermore- To say that those who didn't start don't deserve a ring for a SB is just BS. Those guys still go through practice like the starters do and they also help with the scouting team in practices, film room, etc. When the team wins a championship, everyone wins it. It's the ultimate team game- Sorry you can't understand that.

Agreed- Aggie. Got some good points in there.

As far as Simmons goes- his diabetes never really was a factor, as he ended up with some other injuries unrelated to diabetes, and his salary got him cut- much like what might happen with Hartwig now. Simmons is a multi-millionaire and living the good life. Don't worry about him, he's taken care of.

I have work to do, so I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this......later.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    I am.

Their performance thus far has NOT been good. Too many mistakes, missed assignments, and flat-out bad play. I sure hope they can get their act together, or its going to be another long season for our QB's.
    I am not worried in the least because I already know the OL is subpar. I have not seen anything that makes me think the OL will be anything other than mediocre. The problem this year is that we will be missing our QB and number one WR.

I will say it one more time. You take away Manning Wayne from the Colts and they are not a playoff team. You take away Brees and Colston from the Saints or Rodgers and Jennings from the Packers and those teams don't make the playoffs. The Steelers won't make the playoffs missing their QB for four games and missing Holmes all year. Throw in the crap OL and the team is destined for third place.

This organization needs a truly crappy season like the Ratbirds and Bungles have had to deal with this decade in order to snap them out of the idea that the team is still close to being a championship team. The entire OL needs to be rebuilt. How Tomlin and Colbert thought they should continue with the Status Quo (less Pouncey) is beyond me.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

I'm not worried about the line. Actually pleased compared to last season.

Pouncey is a stud in the making.

Because of Pouncey, it's gonna take some time for Kemo and Essex to gel with him.

Essex has a bigger challenge and deserves a little more patience because he's got a new tackle on his other side.

Flo's gonna take some time at his new position, but he's gonna start fast cause we're running right early and often this season and we'll get him in the flow quickly.

Give it until the latter half of the season, but this line is gonna look great for sure come playoff time.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Torch, you gotta look at things differently. He is saying actually that they weren't bad enough to PREVENT us from winning. NOONE is claiming they are a strength of this team.

But as things go, if you spend alot of drafts focusing on the OL, you'll slip a bit elsewhere. I think you'll see us spend a few more picks going forward on the OL and DL obviously. If we had been able to use Colon this year, this OL would have been far better than the last SB OL due to a bit more experience and Pouncey replacing Hartwig. But we lost Colon. I'm not sure what you really expect. We get 1 top draft pick a year to find a true stud. No team in the NFL is perfect everywhere. I think that's why people are calling you a worrywart. EVERYBODY has major problems. And this is the preseason. Pouncey WILL get better as the season progresses and the line will build chemistry. A new C requires time to get the whole OL functioning as they can. Which is not the best in the league, but could get us back to 'not killing us' status.

Simmons would still be here except for injuries and his difficulty with diabetes. As a OL, he wasn't as bad pre-injury as you make him out.
    What pfelix is doing is turning a blind eye to an obvious problem of our team. He refuses to place any blame on the O-line whatsoever. He's done it the past three years, and I'm tired of it. Sure, not every team is perfect, but we have done far too little to fix an obvious problem.

And when we can't run the ball, can't get short yardage, and when our QBs are still running for their lives on every other play, DAMMIT, I AM GOING TO WORRY. As for all this stuff about the line "gelling", that's been said every year, and every year they've been just as bad as before. When our people going to wake up to the fact that the players just aren't good? (Except for Pouncey and maybe Starks)

And pfelix, I brought up Kendall Simmons to highlight one of your absurdities. When he was cut, you claimed another team would pick him up right away because he was a good player. Now you're saying he was cut because of his salary. If he was a valuable player, the organization would have found a way to keep him. He was cut simply because HE'S NOT GOOD. He stunk as a guard. Hell, even stats show it. And now, he's still out of a job because nobody wants him. That was the point. :P

Go ahead and run away if you feel it will save you the embarrassment later.