Thread: Sanders unfazed by move to flanker

Legend

User Info Menu

Sanders unfazed by move to flanker

Sanders unfazed by move to flanker
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, August 29, 2010
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_696959.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 96959.html[/url]

Too small.

Product of a pass-happy offense.

Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders heard the reasons why he wouldn't succeed in the NFL prior to the 2010 draft.

"I've been an underdog my whole life," the Steelers' third-round draft pick said. "I fed off of it."

If Sanders sounds like a certain wideout who has used the perceived underdog status to drive him, the Steelers will see if he can also play like Hines Ward today in Denver.

Sanders will line up at flanker, Ward's position, against the Broncos after playing primarily at split end.

The Steelers want him to learn both positions. They also made the switch because they have been pleasantly surprised with Sanders' blocking.

They'll get a better read on how well he can handle the grunt work that comes with playing flanker during the 8 p.m. game.

"We want to see if potentially he can block a guy the caliber of (Broncos safety) Brian Dawkins, who is going to be around or on the line of scrimmage," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "That's a daunting task for a young guy."

Sanders is undaunted about moving to flanker. The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder played the position at SMU, where set most of the school's receiving records.

If he shows the Steelers he can play flanker as well as split end at this level, it will only help him get on the field faster.

"That makes me more flexible," Sanders said. "If anything happens, I can go to any position."

Better than ever?

Defensive end Aaron Smith is among the starters that will see their last extensive action of the preseason tonight.

Smith, who missed much of the 2009 season because of a torn rotator cuff, sounds as if he is ready to start the regular season.

"I feel really good," said Smith, who played in just five games last season. "My previous injuries haven't bothered me one bit."

Smith, one of the Steelers' most indispensable players, said there was one benefit to not playing last season beyond the middle of October.

"I had so much time off," the 34-year-old Smith said. "I didn't beat up my body."

Tweetin' Troy

The most private of Steelers embracing social media?

Not exactly, but strong safety Troy Polamalu does have a Twitter account and has joined the legion of professional athletes who tweet.

"It's just really to help out some of the stuff we're trying to do," Polamalu said of his charity work. "It's not me at all."

One of his more recent tweets? "Strive to live in such a way that the words 'living' and 'praying' are synonymous and interchangeable."

Just visiting

Just like last season, starting free safety Ryan Clark had medical clearance to play in Denver.

And just last like season, Tomlin made the decision for Clark, who traveled with the Steelers to Denver but won't suit up against the Broncos.

Will Allen will start in his place and rotate at free safety with Woodland Hills graduate Ryan Mundy.

"If I'm not going to play in a Monday night game, (against the Broncos), I'm definitely not going to play in the preseason," Clark said.

The high altitude in Denver caused Clark's blood to sickle in a 2007 game. Clark, who has sickle-cell trait, suffered life-threatening complications and eventually had his spleen and gall bladder removed in separate operations.

Quotable

"Game sequence and circumstances a lot of times dictate that. I was watching a little preseason football (Thursday) night and those guys probably played a lot longer than they anticipated because they were below the line of performance. The same could probably happen if we don't play as well as we'd like." — Tomlin, on whether the starters will play beyond halftime against the Broncos.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Sanders unfazed by move to flanker

Wow, now what I'd like to see is an article on how "unfazed" Sanders is AFTER the game!

Legend

User Info Menu

Tweetin' Troy

Not exactly, but strong safety Troy Polamalu does have a Twitter account and has joined the legion of professional athletes who tweet.

"It's just really to help out some of the stuff we're trying to do," Polamalu said of his charity work. "It's not me at all."

One of his more recent tweets? "Strive to live in such a way that the words 'living' and 'praying' are synonymous and interchangeable."
    I guess "time to wake and bake" and "u shud try finding the worst thing that you could drink n kill urself" were already taken.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Wow, now what I'd like to see is an article on how "unfazed" Sanders is AFTER the game!

What was the reporter expecting, "oh no they cant put me at flanker" I cant play there waaaaahhhh.

Now if the article was "Dixon, unfazed by move to flanker", THAT would be news.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Tweetin' Troy

I guess "time to wake and bake" and "u shud try finding the worst thing that you could drink n kill urself" were already taken.

Thats so ridiculous, it is kinda funny
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Tweetin' Troy

lmao RB - ahhh, the good old days of Twitter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

I forgot to focus on him last night, but I remember having good thoughts about some plays he was in.

Anybody watch him enough to know if he did the shift to flanker OK?

Thanks -

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

After rewatching the whole game, I believe that the Charlie Batch Interception was due to him running the wrong route. Both positions ran deep. He should have done a hook or out. He knew as soon as it happen by his reaction. So I would say the move directly effected the game in that aspect.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!