Thread: Hartwig has concerns about his future

Legend

User Info Menu

Hartwig has concerns about his future

Steelers Notebook: Hartwig has concerns about his future
    Friday, August 27, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083091-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083091-66.stm[/url]

Justin Hartwig said he is not aware of any final decision that rookie Maurkice Pouncey is the new starting center, even though the Steelers' No. 1 draft choice has been working solely with the first-team offense.

Nonetheless, Hartwig said he is worried about his future with the team because he sees what is happening with Pouncey.

"Absolutely," Hartwig, a starter since 2008, said Thursday after practice. "Those are the things you think about when you're starting and, all of sudden, you got another guy playing in front of you. Obviously, you think about your future. That's the nature of this business.

"I've had the upper hand in these situations and I've had the lower hand. You kind of take things in stride."

Indeed, Hartwig only has to look at what happened when he signed with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent before the 2008 season. After starting three seasons with the Tennessee Titans and two with the Carolina Panthers, the Steelers brought him in to compete with incumbent starter Sean Mahan, only to hand him the starting position before the start of the regular season.

Hartwig, though, said he wants to remain with the Steelers, who signed him to a four-year contract extension before the 2009 season.

Still, his future could be determined by his salary -- he is scheduled to earn $2,080,000 this season -- and that he really plays only one position. Hartwig, though, was a three-year starter at right tackle in college at Kansas,

"I don't have any control or say over anything," Hartwig said. "To my knowledge, no final decisions have been made. But I'm not worrying about things I can't control. I'm battling my butt off. I want to be a starter. I'm very capable of being a starter. That's how I prepare every day, regardless if I'm with the [first-team offense] or the 2s.

"At the end of the day, I want to be a Steeler. That's my goal -- to be here and contribute however I can."
    Learning curve for WRs

After using him extensively at the split end, or X, position since training camp, rookie Emmanuel Sanders will play at flanker and back up Hines Ward in the preseason game Sunday night in Denver.

It is a sign Sanders, a third-round draft choice from SMU, has adjusted well to his assignments at split end and is ready to learn the flanker, or Z, position.

But it also means the coaches want to make sure he knows the plays at all receiver positions so they can get him on the field more quickly in case of an injury.

"Now I'm back to putting my thinking cap on," said Sanders, who played mostly in the slot and at flanker in college. "It's not about playing anymore. But I'm liking it. They put in a package this week for me, and I'm loving it. All the hard work I put in over the summer has paid off so far."

Sanders stayed in Pittsburgh after the off-season workouts and studied film of Ward and Santonio Holmes from every game from the 2008 and 2009 seasons. That allowed him to understand the concept of the playbook and adjust very quickly to his assignments.

Now the coaches want to give him and rookie Antonio Brown more to learn. Brown, a sixth-round pick who has been used at flanker, will move to split end against the Broncos.

"It will be interesting to see how those guys play new positions," coach Mike Tomlin said. "You got to keep pushing the envelope with young guys and giving them new and different challenges when they're successful with the ones you're giving them."
    Quick hits

Tomlin said the only player who appears doubtful for the game in Denver is CB Bryant McFadden (pectoral muscle). He would be replaced in the starting lineup by Keenan Lewis, who has returned after sustaining a mild concussion making a tackle against the New York Giants.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083091-66.stm#ixzz0xrzJQMci"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/10 ... z0xrzJQMci[/url]

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Hartwig has concerns about his future

Got the doosh chills when they mentioned Mahan.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Steelers Notebook: Hartwig has concerns about his future
    Friday, August 27, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083091-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083091-66.stm[/url]

Justin Hartwig said he is not aware of any final decision that rookie Maurkice Pouncey is the new starting center, even though the Steelers' No. 1 draft choice has been working solely with the first-team offense.

Nonetheless, Hartwig said he is worried about his future with the team because he sees what is happening with Pouncey.

"Absolutely," Hartwig, a starter since 2008, said Thursday after practice. "Those are the things you think about when you're starting and, all of sudden, you got another guy playing in front of you. Obviously, you think about your future. That's the nature of this business.

"I've had the upper hand in these situations and I've had the lower hand. You kind of take things in stride."

Indeed, Hartwig only has to look at what happened when he signed with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent before the 2008 season. After starting three seasons with the Tennessee Titans and two with the Carolina Panthers, the Steelers brought him in to compete with incumbent starter Sean Mahan, only to hand him the starting position before the start of the regular season.

Hartwig, though, said he wants to remain with the Steelers, who signed him to a four-year contract extension before the 2009 season.

Still, his future could be determined by his salary -- he is scheduled to earn $2,080,000 this season -- and that he really plays only one position. Hartwig, though, was a three-year starter at right tackle in college at Kansas,

"I don't have any control or say over anything," Hartwig said. "To my knowledge, no final decisions have been made. But I'm not worrying about things I can't control. I'm battling my butt off. I want to be a starter. I'm very capable of being a starter. That's how I prepare every day, regardless if I'm with the [first-team offense] or the 2s.

"At the end of the day, I want to be a Steeler. That's my goal -- to be here and contribute however I can."
    Learning curve for WRs

After using him extensively at the split end, or X, position since training camp, rookie Emmanuel Sanders will play at flanker and back up Hines Ward in the preseason game Sunday night in Denver.

It is a sign Sanders, a third-round draft choice from SMU, has adjusted well to his assignments at split end and is ready to learn the flanker, or Z, position.

But it also means the coaches want to make sure he knows the plays at all receiver positions so they can get him on the field more quickly in case of an injury.

"Now I'm back to putting my thinking cap on," said Sanders, who played mostly in the slot and at flanker in college. "It's not about playing anymore. But I'm liking it. They put in a package this week for me, and I'm loving it. All the hard work I put in over the summer has paid off so far."

Sanders stayed in Pittsburgh after the off-season workouts and studied film of Ward and Santonio Holmes from every game from the 2008 and 2009 seasons. That allowed him to understand the concept of the playbook and adjust very quickly to his assignments.

Now the coaches want to give him and rookie Antonio Brown more to learn. Brown, a sixth-round pick who has been used at flanker, will move to split end against the Broncos.

"It will be interesting to see how those guys play new positions," coach Mike Tomlin said. "You got to keep pushing the envelope with young guys and giving them new and different challenges when they're successful with the ones you're giving them."
    Quick hits

Tomlin said the only player who appears doubtful for the game in Denver is CB Bryant McFadden (pectoral muscle). He would be replaced in the starting lineup by Keenan Lewis, who has returned after sustaining a mild concussion making a tackle against the New York Giants.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083091-66.stm#ixzz0xrzJQMci"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/10 ... z0xrzJQMci[/url]

That is just amazing!! I will have to pay more attention to him, starting tomorrow. If his athleticism is anywhere near close to his dedication and professionalism, we could have a really great receiver on our hands for years.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

The question will get down to who do you want mentoring Pouncey and helping him prepare for guys like Ngata, Cody, Rodgers, etc. Hartwig or Legursky?

I would think that Hartwig is the better mentor since Legursky has never been able to start a game in the NFL at Center. Also, who do you want to step in if Pouncey gets hurt? A 8 year starter or a player who has never started a game at Center in his life. I know everyone loves Legursky because he has this rep as a big time powerlifter (never got that) but if he could play better than hartwig then wouldn't he had been playing and we wouldn't have needed to take Pouncey?

Legursky could be a surprise cut.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The question will get down to who do you want mentoring Pouncey and helping him prepare for guys like Ngata, Cody, Rodgers, etc. Hartwig or Legursky?

I would think that Hartwig is the better mentor since Legursky has never been able to start a game in the NFL at Center. Also, who do you want to step in if Pouncey gets hurt? A 8 year starter or a player who has never started a game at Center in his life. I know everyone loves Legursky because he has this rep as a big time powerlifter (never got that) but if he could play better than hartwig then wouldn't he had been playing and we wouldn't have needed to take Pouncey?

It will come down to that or $$$$ and salary cap concerns. If we keep Hartwig this season and there is a new CBA, he'll likely count against the cap in 2011, even if we cut him before that season.

Legursky was the swing backup last season. I think they like him in that role. I agree that he probably wouldn't be quite as effective as Hartwig if Pouncey got hurt, but I'm not sure how big that gap is. Hartwig is not a good player.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Legursky could play center, guard, and short yardage fullback. Hartwig is pretty much just a backup center (although the article does mention him playing RT in college). Since Tomlin demands versatility in his backup o-lineman (so he only needs to dress 7 of them on gameday to give him more options for active special teams demons), that could spell doom for Hartwig (that and the $2 million + price tag for a marginal backup).

If I had to guess today, the 9 OL to make the final 53 would be:

Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Essex, Adams, Hills Legursky, Foster, and Urbik.

We try to trade Hartwig for a late round pick to a team with injuries at center.

Cut Adrian Jones, Jonathan Scott, and Kyle Jolly.

Add Dorian Brooks to the Practice Squad.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

OV, why all the hate on Legursky all of the time? Speaking for myself it dosen't make a difference because he is a power lifter. IMO he is a very hard worker and he has gotten better every season since he's been around. Both Dulac and Bouchette in a video report (published in the PG a week or so ago) said Legursky is having a great camp and is outplaying Hartwig. In fact, local reporters have recently said by all indications he will be #2 to Pouncey. That makes me think that IF Pouncey would not have come on to be #1...Legursky might be and Hartwig would be a backup if not cut. Just askin and just sayin.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss

OV, why all the hate on Legursky all of the time? Speaking for myself it dosen't make a difference because he is a power lifter. IMO he is a very hard worker and he has gotten better every season since he's been around. Both Dulac and Bouchette in a video report (published in the PG a week or so ago) said Legursky is having a great camp and is outplaying Hartwig. In fact, local reporters have recently said by all indications he will be #2 to Pouncey. That makes me think that IF Pouncey would not have come on to be #1...Legursky might be and Hartwig would be a backup if not cut. Just askin and just sayin.
    Where have you been? If you have been reading on this board for any time at all, you would know that Oviedo exhibits a definite bias against undrafted FA's. Legursky is just another in a string of such players.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss

Where have you been? If you have been reading on this board for any time at all, you would know that Oviedo exhibits a definite bias against undrafted FA's. Legursky is just another in a string of such players.

LOL! Well, thats too bad. The man seems to know some football.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks