Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lolley Gives Clarity To Dixon's Role???

Backup

Lolley Gives Clarity To Dixon's Role???

NFL from the sidelines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ation.html

Thursday, August 26, 2010
    Breaking down the QB situation
    Mike Tomlin said this week that Dennis Dixon will play with the starters on Sunday night in Denver and many people ran off half-cocked thinking that means Dixon has a shot to be the team's starting QB.

That's not the case.

Barring something unforeseen, Byron Leftwich will be the team's starting quarterback when they open the season at Atlanta.

But the coaching staff wants Dixon to get some work with the first team so - as I've been saying all along - when they put some special packages in each game while Ben Roethlisberger is out, he'll be comfortable in that role.

Using both Leftwich and Dixon while Roethlisberger serves his suspension makes sense. It gives opponents another dimension to prepare for, especially since the two QBs have such different styles of play. And the Steelers have to be prepared to do whatever it takes to win some games while Roethlisberger is out.
    posted by Dale Lolley at 7:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Hall of Famer

Re: Lolley Gives Clarity To Dixon's Role???

i think its a mistake rolling with lefty but i hope im wrong. especially if the o-line doesnt play well and the running game falters. i would rather have a athletic qb instead of a statue with an average to sub par o-line.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I've been saying this for a while, but I like the idea of giving the opposing defense twice as much to prepare for each week. Typically, a QB-by-committee situation does not work because you need one guy to step up as a leader, but we already know who our leader at QB is, so we can mix things up during the first month while he is on the shelf.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i think its a mistake rolling with lefty but i hope im wrong. especially if the o-line doesnt play well and the running game falters. i would rather have a athletic qb instead of a statue with an average to sub par o-line.
    The Left statue will take a lot less sacks then the Roth statue. Regardless of line play.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL
    The Left statue will take a lot less sacks then the Roth statue. Regardless of line play.
    how do you figure that? ben is one of the hardest qb's to get on the ground. lefty doesnt even have a quick release. he has the biggest wind up ever. ben moves around the pocket, he is no statue. i cant wait until ben is back. the first four games could be ugly

Legend

Leftwich knows what he can and cannot do. He knows that he has to get rid of the ball fast which will translate to alot more hotreads and catches for Heath Miller.

This is the type of experience that will allow Leftwich to "play within himself" and hopefully play limited mistake football.

The issue with Dixon is he doesn't know what he doesn't know. That equates to risk and I don't think the team can afford to give up plays in those critical first four games where we have to win at least 2.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Leftwich knows what he can and cannot do. He knows that he has to get rid of the ball fast which will translate to alot more hotreads and catches for Heath Miller.

This is the type of experience that will allow Leftwich to "play within himself" and hopefully play limited mistake football.

The issue with Dixon is he doesn't know what he doesn't know. That equates to risk and I don't think the team can afford to give up plays in those critical first four games where we have to win at least 2.
    i think lefty is a bigger risk which is why i like dixon more. if we were talking about charlie batch from a few years ago i wouldnt be against starting batch over a young qb like dixon. i would even of perferred marc bulger to lefty. when i see dixon play a bad game i will maybe see the risk in playing him. the thing is he hasnt played badly with the limited opportunity he has been given. lefty even stunk on good jax teams in his "prime".

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I've been saying this for a while, but I like the idea of giving the opposing defense twice as much to prepare for each week. Typically, a QB-by-committee situation does not work because you need one guy to step up as a leader, but we already know who our leader at QB is, so we can mix things up during the first month while he is on the shelf.

many people ran off half-cocked thinking that means Dixon has a shot to be the team's starting QB.
    Fans & media would never do that!

Pro Bowler

Of course we give Dixon reps with the first team O. If we don't we're just plain stupid. If Leftwich goes down and there is no preparation then heads will roll. Furthermore the multi-dimension argument that has already been made is also strong. Starting Dixon is wise at many levels of thinking.