Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 18 game season.

Backup

User Info Menu

The 18 game season.

I think that it will reduce the quality of play and the value of each game. With only 2 PS games, it will be harder for younger players to show their stuff. Attrition will be increased, and each game will be worth 1/18th of a season instead of 1/16th.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: The 18 game season.

I'm not a fan of the 18 game season. Part of what makes football so popular is how little of it there is - just 16 games. It used to just be Sunday and Monday night. Part of me likes having more football to watch, but I feel like Thursday night, and the Saturday games later, all water things down a bit. The 18 game season will continue to water things down.

I'm also worried about the quality of play towards the end of the season - injuries catch up with a lot of teams now by week 17 - imagine the injury lists in week 19.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The season is long enough.

Virtually ever record will be broken in a couple of years. And they'll all deserve an asterisk.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Greed i would say. One big reason owners bent to Goodell. Really a sad thing.

Players struggle to keep themselves fit in a 16 game season. This will decline quality of play in regular season/playoffs.

Its like killing the golden goose.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm agreeing with all of you so far. The players don't like the idea for the very real reason that they are the ones who will live with the literal impact that this puts on their bodies.

While I love football, I would rather them actually decrease the season to 15 games than increase it to 18.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How can more football be bad?? And I'm thinking that fans and players were having many of the same concerns as you guys/gals when they moved up to 16 from 14.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I'm not a proponent of the 18 game season, but what if the pre-season was shortened to 2 games (or eliminated entirely in favor of scrimmages) and teams played every other week instead of every week?

This would offer several benefits:

-Players have more time to rest and recover from any accrued injuries

-Players will have both more time to practice and more time with their families

-Coaches have more time to plan for upcoming games

-Teams are given more time to travel from stadium-to-stadium

-The need for a then-useless bye week is eliminated

-The football season would be extended, increasing cash flow and fan interest

The only con is that the off-season is shortened, but most of the activity seems to be pretty concentrated; there are times when absolutely nothing occurs in the football world.

Another idea would be to schedule games every week, but each team only plays every other week. What I mean is that there are 8 games per week (in the regular season), every week, for 32 weeks. This would require a complex scheduling system, but it could be done.

It just seems like this could be a way that would benefit the players, coaches, fans and ESPECIALLY the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

32 weeks NFL season?? I think it will be way too long. People will definitely lose interest.

Atleast i ain't gonna wait 2 weeks for a Steelers game.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    32 weeks NFL season?? I think it will be way too long. People will definitely lose interest.

Atleast i ain't gonna wait 2 weeks for a Steelers game.
    Yes you will ... just like the rest of us would
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

ESPN radio had clips from two players yesterday about this. Carlson Palmer said he hadn't spoken to a single player on mutiple teams that didn't hate the idea of adding 2 games. Matt Ryan also said the palyers don't want it and he was very concerned that having 18 games meant the games would mean less. A couple of early losses would be easier to overcome.

Someone else on ESPN stated this was a huge deal for the owners and a leading issue for a lock out.

Knowing serious injury can happen on any play, adding 30 to 40 snaps for two more games really is a lot of opportunity for a star player to get injured.

And what if a team has it locked up with 4 or 5 games to go - those last games become not much more than exhibition games.