Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 18 game season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: The 18 game season.

the beauty of the NFL is that you can never get enough. You make the season two games longer and people will start to "get enough" so to speak.

As it is, you have the draft, then rookie camp, summer OTA's, four pre-season games, the regular season and four weeks of playoffs. So, you have 26 weeks of actual football counting the pre-season. You're looking at half the year anyway and the half of the year that there is very little football news has ALL OF US clamoring, begging for it (and hoping none of our beloved Steelers does anything dumb).

I think they should do a better job of putting together a developmental league of some sort, for smaller markets, like minor league baseball. Most minor league baseball players never sniff the big leagues, most minor league football players wouldn't either. But if they could be called up for a game or two b/c of injury, etc it could be a good thing. Or they could expand the rosters a bit.

But I digress, 18 games is too many. The Market for the NFL as of right now is about as good as it gets IMHO.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe this all boils down to money/greed. It's ironic that the owners want the players to take less money and then attempt to extend the season. I don't think that is going to fly over well with a lot of players.

The increased risk of injury is the biggest reason why I am against an 18 game sched.

Legend

User Info Menu

i'm not for it

but i think we make the playoffs if there were 18 games last year

Legend

User Info Menu

I know its popular to bash Goodell but it is the Owners who want this and are really pushing for it. More $$: gate receipts and consessions, TV contracts and advertising.

It's Goodell's job to use smoke and mirrors to convince everyone this is the best course of action even if he doesn't believe it. That's what he is doing.

The owners could be using this as leverage to change the current 59%-41% revenue split in favor of the players. They tell the players they can keep the split percentages but they have to play 2 more games. Or the agree to not push for 2 more games but the players agree to a more equitable over all revenue split, cloers to 50-50.

It makes me sad but this time next August I think we'll be discussing when or even if the season will start

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just a conspiracy Theory:

Are owners pushing 18 game season so that they can play more games in London or outside USA and tap the money resource outside US?
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Just a conspiracy Theory:

Are owners pushing 18 game season so that they can play more games in London or outside USA and tap the money resource outside US?
    Throw in an extra bye week and you've got a lot more opportunity to send teams to Europe. I don't think you have a conspiracy theory at all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I live for NFL football but, 18 games waters down the quality of the game. I want to know that traveling into the playoffs the best playes are playing the game. No backups to an injured star that got them so far. I realize injuries happen but now when you want your first string player to put their stamp upon the playoffs, they might be watching the game from home with their butt in a cast.

It's either greed or a bargain chip for the owners or both.