Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 18 game season.

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: The 18 game season.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    How can more football be bad?.
    I'd actually like to see the NFL play year-round. After the Super Bowl the league could hold the draft then the following weekend they could begin a whole new season. If MLB can have a 9 month season I see no reason why the NFL couldn't sustain itself for 12 months a year.

Starter

User Info Menu

It's interesting how little fan support this idea seems to have. I'm sure most of us would love more football, but it probably is not the best thing for the players or sport.

I'm picturing losing Ben or Troy in game 17 so that the NFL can make more money. They'll probably also eventually get around to softening the game up even more in order to protect players, making the game less enjoyable than it already is with all that patty-cake calls if you touch a qb, etc.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Between amateur ball (HS, College) and the various "pro" teams (arean, CFL, etc) and the NFL there is plenty of football out there now.

I really hate the idea of an 18 game season. I think the current season is too long, but manageable. The NFL is supposed to be the crowning jewel of American-style Football. Adding games doesn't make it more special, it makes every game that much less special and increases chances of injury to these players.

At the end of the day, I think this is a negotiating ploy by Goodell for labor talks. He knows that the players won't want it so he can use it as a bargaining chip to get something he really wants.

Legend

User Info Menu

The pre-season games would simply be added to the end of the year rather than the beginning. The final 3-4 games for 2/3 of the teams would be meaningless pre-season type games where players would be trying to fulfill their bonus incentives.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCHammer
    It's interesting how little fan support this idea seems to have. I'm sure most of us would love more football, but it probably is not the best thing for the players or sport.

I'm picturing losing Ben or Troy in game 17 so that the NFL can make more money. They'll probably also eventually get around to softening the game up even more in order to protect players, making the game less enjoyable than it already is with all that patty-cake calls if you touch a qb, etc.
    what's REALLY interesting is that there isn't much support ANYWHERE yet the Commish makes it sound like EVERYONE is for it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

However Goddell got elected, someone needs to do a recall or a coup of his throne before he pusshes this through. It is a terrible idea that none of the coaches or players wants and he is using everything in his power to push it through.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    The season is long enough.

Virtually ever record will be broken in a couple of years. And they'll all deserve an asterisk.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile
    However Goddell got elected, someone needs to do a recall or a coup of his throne before he pusshes this through. It is a terrible idea that none of the coaches or players wants and he is using everything in his power to push it through.
    I'm wondering what genius asked for this? Did Goodell think of this himself or was it somebody else?

BTW- A RB would only have to average 56 yards a game to have a 1,000 season.

Starter

User Info Menu

So far I have yet to see one player who hasn't said this will result in more injuries.

Owners want this. Networks want it. Players don't. Fans don't.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

What I really love is how Goodell loves to claim how badly fans hate the preseason games and that's some of his reasoning for pushing for more regular season games. The reality is that fans hate paying FULL PRICE for preseason games as if they are regular season games. Especially season ticket holders who are given no choice but to have to cough up the money for games that are meaningless... It's a vicious cycle anymore between player salaries, the push to raise salary caps, PSL's, the cost of tickets. I think the fans would be more than happy with keeping things the same but reduce the cost of the preseason games to the point that a much larger amount of fans would turn out. The increased turnout and concession sales would offset the lost revenue from cheaper tickets and we wouldn't have to worry about extending the season to create more revenue.