Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pouncey takes all 1st team C reps today

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Pouncey takes all 1st team C reps today

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    If Pouncey gets the starting gig, and Hartwig gets shown the door, does this guarentee Essex remains at RG? Because it would be very unlike the Steelers to destabelise the OL by removing 2 starters from last years group, wouldn't it?

Chadman still thinks the best Steelers OL would be Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster & Adams.

i read somewhere that Essex had pretty much won the RG spot now that Pouncey is playing center. the Steelers want to keep some stability with Essex, remember that Adams is learning a new position at RT as well.

the following season, i look for Ramon Foster to unseat Essex or Adams on the right side of the line.
    I think they keep Essex there for continuity's sake (not necessarily talent-wise). Much has been talked about how much Trai has helped Hotel in his adjustment to the right side in our scheme. While Essex may not be the most talented o-lineman we have, he is a smart guy (graduated from Northwestern), so that could benefit our new RT and our rookie center as well (since I doubt that Pouncey will be looking for advice regarding the mental aspects of the game from the guy on the other side who is more talented than Essex but seems to have a pile of rocks between his ears).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I hope so because if he doesn't we will get the same cast of characters labeling him as a bust on this message board. However, he may get a pass because I'm sure it will be "Araian's fault."
    There is a thread on the same page discussing how the Steelers are still waiting for Timmons to reach his potential. That isn't a compliment; it's saying that he hasn't lived up to expectations yet.
    Do you disagree?
    He hasnt reached his potential. That is a good thing to say about him.
    To say otherwise is to say he will never be great, since we have seen his best already.

Much worse is someone like Kemo who I "thought" had more upside and I "fear" may have "reached" his potential. But he wasnt a high pick so my expectations were perhaps unrealistic anyway.
    I completely agree that he hasn't reached his potential. While, as a Steelers fan, I'm hopeful that he will reach his potential, I've been disappointed with Timmons to date. This is a guy who, at one point last year, got pulled for a Keyaron Fox for a few series. Not what you're expecting from the 16th overall pick in his third year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Can someone please answer this question. What benefit does it provide to cut Justin Hartwig? There is no cap this yr, so am I missing something? Why not keep him and Legursky? If Pouncey goes down and we've cut Hartwig, where does that leave us???
    The benefits to cutting Hartwig are:

1) It allows you to keep a younger guy, whether Legursky, Urbik or Foster;

2) Even though there is no cap, it does save $2 million - money that could be put towards a signing bonus for somebody like Woodley next year;

The potential downside to cutting Hartwig is:

1) Lose a veteran mentor; and

2) Less depth at center.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Can someone please answer this question. What benefit does it provide to cut Justin Hartwig? There is no cap this yr, so am I missing something? Why not keep him and Legursky? If Pouncey goes down and we've cut Hartwig, where does that leave us???
    The benefits to cutting Hartwig are:

1) It allows you to keep a younger guy, whether Legursky, Urbik or Foster;

2) Even though there is no cap, it does save $2 million - money that could be put towards a signing bonus for somebody like Woodley next year;

The potential downside to cutting Hartwig is:

1) Lose a veteran mentor; and

2) Less depth at center.
    Losing a veteran mentor IMO could be a huge loss as Pouncey prepares to deal with the AFC North defensive linemen. hartwig has played those guys. Legursky hasn't as a Center.

Tough decision. Money issues aside I probably Keep Hartwig and Urbik and release Legursky. Probably not a popular opinion but that is what I would do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Within three years, I'm going to say that he'll be considered the best center in the game. Pro-Bowl his 2nd year.
    Wow...your mouth to God's ears.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash