Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pouncey takes all 1st team C reps today

Hall of Famer

Re: Pouncey takes all 1st team C reps today

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    If Pouncey gets the starting gig, and Hartwig gets shown the door, does this guarentee Essex remains at RG? Because it would be very unlike the Steelers to destabelise the OL by removing 2 starters from last years group, wouldn't it?

Chadman still thinks the best Steelers OL would be Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Foster & Adams.

i read somewhere that Essex had pretty much won the RG spot now that Pouncey is playing center. the Steelers want to keep some stability with Essex, remember that Adams is learning a new position at RT as well.

the following season, i look for Ramon Foster to unseat Essex or Adams on the right side of the line.

I think RG is still TBD. If Essex holds serve, I think they leave him in there. Someone else would have to outplay him over the next couple weeks to sieze the position from him.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I hope so because if he doesn't we will get the same cast of characters labeling him as a bust on this message board. However, he may get a pass because I'm sure it will be "Araian's fault."
    cmon dude. you were the one on here stating what a awful pick it would be.

why must you constanly mock other posters for doing the same things you do? it gets very tiresome.
    You're right I wanted us to take Iupati or Bulaga over Pouncey but since we took him I have been 100% supportive and have advocated him being the starting Center. I'm thrilled he has proven me wrong thus far about my concerns of his ability to power block against the NTs in the AFC North. I'll also never call him a bust or any other young player the Steelers draft but my point was others will when he struggles which he will.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Within three years, I'm going to say that he'll be considered the best center in the game. Pro-Bowl his 2nd year.
    He'll most likely be battling Mangold for a while for the AFC's Pro Bowl spot. Our expectations aren't that high right?
    battling Mangold?
    Selling our guy a little short dont ya think? Hater.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    With Ngata, Rogers, Cody, that dude with red hair from Cincy in the division, and others, he is going to have his work cut out for him. It's going to be a challenge, but IMO he is ready.
    I hope so because if he doesn't we will get the same cast of characters labeling him as a bust on this message board. However, he may get a pass because I'm sure it will be "Araian's fault."
    There is a thread on the same page discussing how the Steelers are still waiting for Timmons to reach his potential. That isn't a compliment; it's saying that he hasn't lived up to expectations yet.
    Do you disagree?
    He hasnt reached his potential. That is a good thing to say about him.
    To say otherwise is to say he will never be great, since we have seen his best already.

Much worse is someone like Kemo who I "thought" had more upside and I "fear" may have "reached" his potential. But he wasnt a high pick so my expectations were perhaps unrealistic anyway.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    With Ngata, Rogers, Cody, that dude with red hair from Cincy in the division, and others, he is going to have his work cut out for him. It's going to be a challenge, but IMO he is ready.
    There is a thread on the same page discussing how the Steelers are still waiting for Timmons to reach his potential. That isn't a compliment; it's saying that he hasn't lived up to expectations yet.
    Do you disagree?
    He hasnt reached his potential. That is a good thing to say about him.
    To say otherwise is to say he will never be great, since we have seen his best already.

Much worse is someone like Kemo who I "thought" had more upside and I "fear" may have "reached" his potential. But he wasnt a high pick so my expectations were perhaps unrealistic anyway.
    i was thinking the same thing. if had reached his potential he would really be a bust. its not easy to go from a 4-3 OLB to a 3-4 MLB. maybe one of the hardest transitions to make. timmons is only 24 as well. he will get there, no reason to worry.

Within three years, I'm going to say that he'll be considered the best center in the game. Pro-Bowl his 2nd year.
    He'll most likely be battling Mangold for a while for the AFC's Pro Bowl spot. Our expectations aren't that high right? Approx what year will he be inducted into the Hall???
    Let him. Pouncey is a stud, and imo the best offensive lineman to come out in years. Sure LT's are more important so they get drafted high, but.. you'll see.
    In years?
    You imply that there have been better lineman drafted in the past, albeit "years" ago. Isnt it just a wee bit early to ASSUME our guy will not be the best lineman ever in the history of the game? Yet another hater.

I have a feeling our guards will play better when we get better play from our center. IMO Hartwig got pushed around and back too much which caused a traffic jam in the middle with our guards. The guards were not able to get to their assignment which made them look worse than they are.

If Pouncey can handle the AFC North nose tackles this unit could improve tremendously. I'm not saying it will make Kemo and Essex Pro Bowlers but you will see a marked improvement in their play.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Looks like it. He is further along than I thought he would be at this point. Starting center for the Steelers as a rookie? I don't believe that has ever happened in the history of the franchise. Am I forgetting someone? Not even Dawson did that. He started at G.
    It's not hard to be further along than the 32nd rated center in the NFL last year. As a matter of fact, I would say that any center taken in the first round should be able to displace the bottom third of league's centers as a rookie.

The Steelers tend to be cautious inserting rookies into the lineup in general. Pouncey has outplayed Hartwig and earned a start, lets see how it goes for three quarters this week against an opponents first team defense.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti
    cmon dude. you were the one on here stating what a awful pick it would be.

why must you constanly mock other posters for doing the same things you do? it gets very tiresome.
    You're right I wanted us to take Iupati or Bulaga over Pouncey but since we took him I have been 100% supportive and have advocated him being the starting Center. I'm thrilled he has proven me wrong thus far about my concerns of his ability to power block against the NTs in the AFC North. I'll also never call him a bust or any other young player the Steelers draft but my point was others will when he struggles which he will.
    What is with always calling out other posters (even before they do something)? I think you are a GREAT poster Ovie, one of my favorites on this board. You are knowledgeable and observant. But, somewhere along the line, you took up the cause of beating down the alarmists. This can be entertaining in moderation, but has become more of an obsession. I apologize if this offends you. Again, I really do respect your knowledge and thoughts.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Can someone please answer this question. What benefit does it provide to cut Justin Hartwig? There is no cap this yr, so am I missing something? Why not keep him and Legursky? If Pouncey goes down and we've cut Hartwig, where does that leave us???
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.