Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pittsburgh Steelers: 2010 - 2014

Pro Bowler

The Pittsburgh Steelers: 2010 - 2014

If you look at the last few drafts, it seems that we are positioning ourselves pretty well on the defensive side of the ball.

Woodley and Timmons are obvious. We are gambling on Wood a bit with contract status and the possibility of no franchise tag next year but I'll pray that the Rooney's know what they are doing. Timmons seems to be coming into his own; it's what happens when we draft a 20 year old, they take awhile. Worilds and Sylvester will be the new young bucks over the course of the next few years. Harrison and Farrior aren't getting any younger here and Foote will be the bridge (and a good one) from one generation to the next.

The secondary will be bolstered by McFadden who's a younger guy and you know Keenan Lewis looked pretty good against Calvin Johnson. Crezdon Butler could be a keeper and Joe Burnett looks the nickel back part. With Ike in the last year of his contract and some of the wealthier owners probably willing to pay him Reeves money, we're going to lose him. Our cupboard at safety is a little stressful after Troy and Clark but we'll see where the net couple of years take us. We'll need to find some players there, and see if Keenan Lewis gets moved to safety.

Our D-line still looks pretty good, the starters are as good as it gets as long as they remain healthy, Nick Eason can play the bridge from one generation to the next and Ziggy looks like he's really going to be a player. This is a place where weíll need some work too of course and we will need a big ol' Nose Tackle....

Our quarterback situation is taken care of as long as Little Ben doesnít make any more public appearances. Lefty has been a good backup for us, Dixon looks to be a pretty good player but he may also be trade bait. I foresee us taking 7th round flyers on quarterbacks for the next few years.

At running back, weíll just have to wait and see. Mendy looks like a player, Iím more convinced that Redman could be a good second guy, Moore will be around for another year or so (Iím not sure of his contract situation). Running backs arenít going to be a top three round priority I donít think unless someone ridiculous falls into our lap in say the third round over the next few years.

I donít love our O-line but we have a Center of the future in Pouncey (hopefully he is the center of now), and we can build out from there. Weíll see if anyone else steps up and plays well this year. I like the idea of taking his brother in the draft next year and working on the big guys from there. Iím a little biased because like many of the folks on this board, Iíd be a big fan of rotating Oline and Dline the next two or three drafts in the first three rounds and build those lines with studs.

Our receivers look better than I thought they would; especially if these young guys can continue to develop. Iíd love to get another year or two out of Hines but that may be asking a lot. We need to hope that Wallace doesnít have a sophomore slump and that Sanders and Brown can develop quickly. We can all pray that the Limas Sweed experiment works out for us but I donít think any of us are counting on that (to think many of us thought he should have been our first round pick back then, wow.) We have one of the best tight ends in the league in Heath Miller and as much as the dude couldnít block me, Spaeth can catch. Maybe with our receivers all being young, these guys will get some more work this year.

All in all, I think we are in pretty good shape. Sure we have things that need to be addressed and if we get hit with the injury bug it could ruin a season. Having a franchise quarterback, a hard working front office and a hall of fame defensive coordinator helps out a great deal. We have places and needs that need to be addressed including possibly both lines and the secondary, hopefully these will get done over the next couple of years.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Re: The Pittsburgh Steelers: 2010 - 2014

There won't even be any more football after 12-20-2012 anyhow so why are you even bothering to look so far ahead?

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned
    There won't even be any more football after 12-20-2012 anyhow so why are you even bothering to look so far ahead?

just in case the prophesies are wrong of course.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

I hope in the next coupla drafts we focus on the OL and DL. We don't need LBs or WRs.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    I hope in the next coupla drafts we focus on the OL and DL. We don't need LBs or WRs.
    I think we need to look at the following in future drafts, not necessarily in order:

Safety--Troy and Clark aren't getting younger. Mundy is a career back up and nothing more. Weakest position unit on the defense

Cornerback--Ike Taylor I believe is gone after this season to clear cap space for other priorities, Gay is in the final year of his contract and Bmac is a two year solution, if that. Lewis looks to have real potential. Burnett could be solid nickle. Need at least two more young CBs.

OT--Need to add bodies on the outside of the OL. We are deep with interior linement but this on the outside. Maybe Foster can become a RT or we keep Colon but this is a critical need position.

RB--Does anyone feel confident if mendy gets hurt with Redman as #2? Does anyone really think he can carry the ball and the team for 5-6 games? Not me. he has improved alot since last season but is nothing more than a situational back.

WR--IMO we see that Hines is done this season and he won't play 16 games. We got some good young talent in Wallace, Sanders and maybe Brown but they are smurfs. Need some speed and size on the outside. Can't count on Sweed coming back although that would be a huge bonus.

All said, we will typically draft too low to get a premier OT so if I had to predict I'd say we target CB or WR next year in Round 1.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I agree about continuing to draft big uglies early. I like our depth at the skill positions, but we could use some more beef (of the USDA Grade A variety as opposed to late round ground chuck).

I'd like to draft Maurkice Pouncey's twin brother in the first next year to place next to him at RG. Having twins next to each other provides instant chemistry on the line, where chemistry is vital.

If Dixon gets some playing time in the first month of this season and shines, I hope that we sign him to an RFA tender and then trade him for a nice early pick or two. I would like to use a Dixon pick as ammunition to move up in the second round to take Ole Miss NT Jarrell Powe as the the heir apparent to Casey Hampton. With the emergence of Ziggy Hood, and the hope that either Sonny Harris or Doug Worthington will develop into a player, we seem to have reasonable young depth at DE, but the same cannot be said about NT, where Hoke is actually older than Hampton.

In 2012, I think we should address OT with a prime pick, such as Ryan Kalil's little brother, who will taking over the LT spot at USC this season.

How's that for a focus on OL and DL? The only skill position guy that I would want us to target in the early rounds the next 2 years would be a legit backup safety, since we are thin there, with no quality young prospects.

As some1 else stated- I do think those dates listed are wrong though- there won't be much of a season in 2011. Looks like its gonna be a long lockout.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned

just in case the prophesies are wrong of course.
    I think the Mayans were predicting the end of their own world and it seems they were *just* a bit off (325 years) since they were finally subdued by Spain in 1687.

This is a good post. It made me take a serious look at our depth chart and here is what I've come up with...

OT should be our top priority, followed closely by NT.

You have to look at our current talent, combined with the importance of that position to the offense/defense, combined with the competition level they will be facing. These are not positions you can just throw in a late round scrub and get by. Your back ups must be "elite" back ups in those spots or your whole team is in deep trouble.

From a talent/athleticism standpoint, you just don't get dominate LT's outside of the first 2 rounds. The problem with Starks is not that is he sucks. The problem is that he is average. We have gotten used to an average LT for so long now we think that is normal or acceptable. We cannot afford to have Ben keep taking these hits. If Ben gets hurt, nothing else really matters. The number one requirement for a left tackle is to have the foot speed and technique to ride the speed rushers past the QB. Starks does not do that adequately. He delays the DE for about 3 seconds then lets him go. With a QB like Big Ben who tends to extend plays for 5-8 seconds we need someone more athletic and quite frankly more of a nasty/finisher attitude. I'm not talking about a top 5 pick Joe Thomas either. I'm talking about an: Oher, Bulaga, Saffold, Vollmer, or even a more raw talent like Beatty last year or that kid Oakland picked up this year. Guys who consistently ride their defender out of harms way. We cannot continue to pay top dollar for mediocre talent. Paying Starks and Colon that kind of money is ludicrous. Once you bite the bullet and draft a semi-premium LT that puts us with (rookie) and Hills. We can still put a FA veteran at RT or develop Foster or one of the Scott(s). That should be fine.

The NT is the key to the LeBeau 3-4 defense. Hampton has been solid since the day he arrived but we MUST draft his replacement next year. We need a guy with the size speed and technique to command a double team and, again, it's difficult to find those in the later rounds. If Hampton gets hurt, we still have Hoke this year but after next year he may be gone as well. At minimum we should draft a starting caliber NT and rotate him in next year. Let him start in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I agree about continuing to draft big uglies early. I like our depth at the skill positions, but we could use some more beef (of the USDA Grade A variety as opposed to late round ground chuck).

I'd like to draft Maurkice Pouncey's twin brother in the first next year to place next to him at RG. Having twins next to each other provides instant chemistry on the line, where chemistry is vital.

If Dixon gets some playing time in the first month of this season and shines, I hope that we sign him to an RFA tender and then trade him for a nice early pick or two. I would like to use a Dixon pick as ammunition to move up in the second round to take Ole Miss NT Jarrell Powe as the the heir apparent to Casey Hampton. With the emergence of Ziggy Hood, and the hope that either Sonny Harris or Doug Worthington will develop into a player, we seem to have reasonable young depth at DE, but the same cannot be said about NT, where Hoke is actually older than Hampton.

In 2012, I think we should address OT with a prime pick, such as Ryan Kalil's little brother, who will taking over the LT spot at USC this season.

How's that for a focus on OL and DL? The only skill position guy that I would want us to target in the early rounds the next 2 years would be a legit backup safety, since we are thin there, with no quality young prospects.
    i couldn't agree more. The funny thing is, everything you just said seems so blatantly obvious to me and yet there are others who completely disagree. Even others in the Steelers FO and coaching staff. Again, it's just my opinion, but I don't see how any rational sports fan could look at our OL and not say that this is our number one weakness and number one priority. Especially with a 2 time SB winning, top 5, franchise QB that is getting murdered year after year. An upgraded OL would not only protect him better, it would open running lanes to re-establish Steeler football. It makes me want to bang my head into a steel curtain until it's so numb that i can't think about the current problem.