Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers waiting for Timmons to reach potential

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers waiting for Timmons to reach potential

August 24, 2010
    Steelers waiting for Timmons to reach potential

By ALAN ROBINSON THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    [url="http://tribune-democrat.com/prosports/x1489515325/Steelers-waiting-for-Timmons-to-reach-potential"]http://tribune-democrat.com/prosports/x ... -potential[/url]

PITTSBURGH — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is finding it difficult to be patient with Lawrence Timmons.

Tomlin calls the inside linebacker “ridiculously talented,” though Timmons has yet to have the breakout season expected before now of the No. 15 pick in the 2007 draft.

Timmons’ teammates are convinced the former Florida State star has more speed, power and drive to the football than any player on the Steelers’ defense other than safety Troy Polamalu.

Still, any discussion about Timmons often begins with what he hasn’t done in his three seasons – make the Pro Bowl.

He hasn’t yet reached an elite level. He’s not yet a complete player. He’s not yet ready to take over from James Farrior the job of running the defense.

“It’s time,” Tomlin said.

“Lawrence has been around here long enough.”

Long enough to win a Super Bowl. However, it is another 2007 draft pick – second-rounder LaMarr Woodley – who’s taken on a bigger role in what was the NFL’s top-ranked defense two seasons ago. Woodley led the Steelers with 131?2 sacks while making the Pro Bowl last season and had 111?2 sacks in 2007. Timmons had seven sacks last season and five as a part-time player in 2008.

Inside linebackers generally don’t accumulate sacks in a 3-4 defense like outside linebackers.

Regardless, the Steelers believe there’s a lot more in the 6-foot-1, 244-pound Timmons that has yet to be seen during games.

They see it in practices and at training camp, but not always on Sundays.

“He has to have a big year in order for us to be successful,” linebackers coach Keith Butler said. “And I think he will, because he feels more comfortable. If he stays healthy, then he will develop the way that we have envisioned that he’ll develop. And he’ll be a factor.”

Timmons missed two games last season with a hamstring injury that lingered for most of the first half of the season and hampered his production. He also was bothered by injuries to both ankles.

Farrior, who plays alongside Timmons, also believes there’s a lot more to come starting with the Sept. 12 opener against Atlanta. Before then, the Steelers close the preseason with games Sunday at Denver and Sept. 2 against Carolina.

“He’s a tremendous athlete and a good kid, but I feel like he’s still learning,” Farrior said. “We really haven’t seen everything he has to give. The injuries, I think, have held him back. They weren’t real bad, but they were nagging. I believe he’s only scratched the surface so far. There’s a lot more we can see from Lawrence.”

Timmons hears such talk, and it’s difficult to argue he’s reached his potential when he himself knows he hasn’t.

“I’m definitely growing up now, and I know what to do and how to play the game,” Timmons said. “It’s time for me to elevate my play to the next level, and I’m working very hard to get there. I want to be the guy to make the sacks and stop the big run plays in the backfield.”

Perhaps to motivate Timmons, perhaps to guard against injuries to the 35-year-old Farrior, the Steelers brought back former starting linebacker Larry Foote this season. Foote signed with Detroit a year ago because he knew the Steelers were ready to make Timmons a starter.

The Steelers finished No. 5 overall in defense last year, but they didn’t play to the level of the 2008 team that led the league in overall defense, rushing defense and allowed the fewest points in the league while winning the Super Bowl. Farrior had perhaps his worst season since joining the Steelers in 2002.

“When they brought Larry in, I took it like they wanted to make us better. You know that Larry works hard and is a tough guy, and that’s what we need,” Timmons said.

That and a Timmons who plays to his full ability.

“If he’s healthy, he’s hard to handle,” Butler said.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers waiting for Timmons to reach potential

Well given that last season he was like third or fourth on the team in tackles, third in sacks (behind two Pro Bowl players), second in forced fumbles I would guess he has reached at least some of his potential. The problem is that the expectation for Timmons are so unrealistic he will always carry the burden of never reaching his "potential"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Well given that last season he was like third or fourth on the team in tackles, third in sacks (behind two Pro Bowl players), second in forced fumbles I would guess he has reached at least some of his potential. The problem is that the expectation for Timmons are so unrealistic he will always carry the burden of never reaching his "potential"
    It appears even his coach may have expectations higher than what Timmons is capable of achieving.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the success of our D this year depends more on Foote, Farrior, and Hampton than on Timmons.

If they are successful (meaning, not always being 1 step too late), and if everyone stays healthy, Timmons can play at exactly the same level he did last year, and we will by far and away be the #1 D next season, IMO.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I do expect Timmons to have double digit sacks (along with Woodley and Harrison). IMO it would be great if he could grab a few INTs to go along with that. He is by far the best coverage LB we have.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Isn't the kid only 23 or 24 years old? I think he is a damn good linebacker already. Not great but good. People need to stop talking about his potential and let the guy play. He will get there. It takes time and maturity but I see Timmons a fixture on our D for many years to come ... unless Sly makes him expendable
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Isn't the kid only 23 or 24 years old? I think he is a damn good linebacker already. Not great but good. People need to stop talking about his potential and let the guy play. He will get there. It takes time and maturity but I see Timmons a fixture on our D for many years to come ... unless Sly makes him expendable
    I think he is only 24 this season with three years in the league already. IMO he will just get better and better.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why is it a surprise that he hasn't become a super star yet?
    We are waiting on lots of guy to reach their full potential. That doesn't normally happen in 3 years. It will come.
    This article is weird to me. Talking about how our defense wasn't as good last year.
    Well, duh, we were missing to of its best couple players.
    I guess its something to talk about. But the whole story seems like he wrote it months ago and was waiting til he had a deadline at the same time as a good happy hour.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here we go again... while it's normal to want a player to keep getting better the expectations and disregard for Timmons accomplishments thus far is comical.

3rd in sacks behind 2 Pro Bowlers... his numbers are impressive and people are saying if this is all we get from Timmons he is considered a bust or a wasted draft pick.

If this is the best Timmons is for the next 5 years I'll take it. People need to remember that the game of football has an ebb and flow to it. Just because his sacks and forced fumbles haven't happened in the last minute of a game doesn't mean they aren't great plays.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Here we go again... while it's normal to want a player to keep getting better the expectations and disregard for Timmons accomplishments thus far is comical.

3rd in sacks behind 2 Pro Bowlers... his numbers are impressive and people are saying if this is all we get from Timmons he is considered a bust or a wasted draft pick.

If this is the best Timmons is for the next 5 years I'll take it. People need to remember that the game of football has an ebb and flow to it. Just because his sacks and forced fumbles haven't happened in the last minute of a game doesn't mean they aren't great plays.
    How many of his sacks came against good competition? On how many was he blocked? More often than not, the scheme created a free run for Timmons to the QB.

When you look at a LB taken after Timmons (Jon Beason) already achieving All-Pro status, it is absolutely fair to be disappointed with what Timmons has done to date.

He has athleticism, upside, potential, etc., but I'd like to see him put it together. He hasn't yet.