Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hills taking a step forward

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Hills taking a step forward

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    I'm not sure where Larry Z came from or who recommended him. I suspect is was BA. Maybe that was an unfair comment. If you ever saw LZ's resume you would be very puzzled why he was ever hired. The guy just never fit! Of course that is MO.
    From what I recall, none of the assistant coaches that came in with Tomlin had great qualifications. And that isn't to knock Tomlin - it didn't seem like there were a ton of quality candidates to choose from. Larry Z was a prime example; Ligashesky was another.
    $$$ he had very little to choose from when selecting staff.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Someone has mentioned this in other threads, but it bears comment again, Kugler may be the most important off season acquisition the Steelers made.

Both, Urbik and Hills appear to be gaining confidence under Kugler and will both probably make the 53 man roster. These players were left for dead prior to Kugler coming on board.

Pappy
    I think they were more 'left for dead' by posters here than by the Steeler brass.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Someone has mentioned this in other threads, but it bears comment again, Kugler may be the most important off season acquisition the Steelers made.

Both, Urbik and Hills appear to be gaining confidence under Kugler and will both probably make the 53 man roster. These players were left for dead prior to Kugler coming on board.

Pappy
    I think they were more 'left for dead' by posters here than by the Steeler brass.
    You're probably correct, but either way I'm glad to see that both are making great strides this pre-season so far.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pappy
    You're probably correct, but either way I'm glad to see that both are making great strides this pre-season so far.

Pappy
    Given the state of our OL, we really need them too.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    This seems more correct then anything else.

Blaming Coach Z or giving to much credit to coach K seems unreasonable. We can easily state that Colon, Starks, and Kemo improved under Coach Z. Could be that everything is finally starting to click for Hills. Would not be the first time it took time for a player to develop in to a quality player. Not sure I am ready to anoint Hills anything at this point. Not sure how much time he's played against 1st unit players.

The biggest issue with coach Z might had been the lack of improvement in short yardage. Might had been a lack of consistency from the Oline. It is really difficult to diagnose at this point. The overall play along the Oline appears to be less then stellar in the pre season. Only time will tell if Coach K can make the unit better. It helps that Pouncey may be ready to start at center this season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bouchette seems to think that Urbik is definitely going to be cut. I sure hope not. Since he is only in his 2nd year and really showing vast improvement this year, I think it would be a huge mistake to let him go. I'd like to see us keep Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Essex, Adams, Hills, Foster, Urbik and Legs. The backups would be Foster at G/T, Urbik and Legs at G/C and Hills and Essex at T.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Bouchette seems to think that Urbik is definitely going to be cut. I sure hope not. Since he is only in his 2nd year and really showing vast improvement this year, I think it would be a huge mistake to let him go. I'd like to see us keep Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Essex, Adams, Hills, Foster, Urbik and Legs. The backups would be Foster at G/T, Urbik and Legs at G/C and Hills and Essex at T.

If we keep 10, I'd like to see them keep Urbik and Legursky. Urbik has great size and good potential. Legursky looks great in combo blocks and moves very well. He does whiff more than I'd like, but he intrigues me and could be serviceable if Pouncey goes down.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

It would be interesting to see if keeping Legursky could possibly make Summers expendable. Summers hasn't shown much as a fullback. They could use the 3rd TE (either McHugh or Johnson) as a blocking fullback between the 20's. They could use Legursky as a blocking fullback in a goalline package and potentially other short yardage situations. And they could also use Redman as a pony fullback along with Mendenhall where he is a threat to run out of the the fullback slot (like we used to do with Merril Hoge as a fullback; also, Franco Harris was actually designated as a fullback with Bleier as the halfback back in the day when they each ran for over 1000 yards in the same season)...I was surprised to see them do that in the last preseason game, but it seemed to be somewhat effective. Perhaps this is what Arians meant when he said that he would never have a fullback. He'd have tight ends or guards or halfbacks playing fullback as situations dictate. Personally, I preferred having a Kreider or a Lester...but I think we can all agree that Summers is no Kreider or Lester.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel

Urbik had by far his best game ever as a professional against the Giants this past weekend. He needs another statement game against the Broncos on Sunday...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha