Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is "Steeler football" obsolete?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Is "Steeler football" obsolete?

Pssssssssst.....the Steelers were #3 in the NFL in TOP last season. A mere 17 seconds left per game than the NFL leader.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was more frustrated when we did the old

run, run, run, punt.

I don't mind running on first down and I wish we'd run more when we are having success at it, but the playcall balance is not a real problem. Our redzone playcalling and execution are the most pressing issue of the last few years.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I was more frustrated when we did the old

run, run, run, punt.

I don't mind running on first down and I wish we'd run more when we are having success at it, but the playcall balance is not a real problem. Our redzone playcalling and execution are the most pressing issue of the last few years.

I don't want again those stupid play calling:

Run,Run, pass (3rd and long) Punt
    Run, Run,Run Punt

In fact last season Steelers got in trouble once they became conservative after taking lead in a game.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Pssssssssst.....the Steelers were #3 in the NFL in TOP last season. A mere 17 seconds left per game than the NFL leader.
    Yeah, and we were also #5 in total defense if I recall. But come fourth quarter we were torched by some of the weakest teams in the NFL repeatedly.

I don't remember which game in particular at this point, but in one of them we were nursing a lead in the third quarter and ran a bunch of deep passes causing the offense to go 3 in out burning a grand total of about 35 seconds. That ain't Steeler football and it's flat out stupid in my opinion. Needless to say we lost the game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    "Steeler football" = doing what it takes to win. We were a predominantly running team throughout the 80's and 90's. How many championships did it get us during those two decades? We finally get a franchise QB, and we are champions once again. If we are champions, then we are playing Steeler football. No matter what it looks like.
    Nice! Ruthless....that there was a thing of beauty. Bravo.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

TOP is missleading in this circumstance, imo.

It is not about total amount of time the Offense has the ball-but in respect to resting the Defense, it is about

Sustained drives. That is one thing this O' has problems with, more so than the past.

I'm suspect you'll argue with this-

But they punt quick, or score quick.

Much like the Tommy Gun O, except that involved more "turn the ball over quick".

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    TOP is missleading in this circumstance, imo.

It is not about total amount of time the Offense has the ball-but in respect to resting the Defense, it is about

Sustained drives. That is one thing this O' has problems with, more so than the past.

I'm suspect you'll argue with this-

But they punt quick, or score quick.

Much like the Tommy Gun O, except that involved more "turn the ball over quick".

Are you saying Steelers real strength is Offense??? Hmmm.....interesting

If Steelers D is going to give minimum amount of points/dominant in NFL by being on the field only for 20 min then i would say Steelers D is highly overrated and aged.

When Steelers D is giving 80 yard drives to Palmers,Cassell,Cutler,Gardowski,Quinn of the leagues it is an issue with the Defense. Don't blame offense for their woes for last season. Steelers D was horrible on 3rd and 4th down. Plain and simple.

If Defense is Steelers strength then they need to hold mediocre QB late in the game.

IMO Steelers never had problems moving the chains last season maybe except that Stains game. They were horrible in red zone. So instead of scoring 7 points they would come up with 3. Steelers O got in trouble when they started running on every 1st and 2nd down when they had a lead. They went into shell for some reason.

I think we are on a verge of seeing a Steelers team with better O than D. We definitely have more dynamic playmakers on O than D. Is it safe to say Steelers success this season is dependent on Offense and adequate defense?
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

17 precious seconds- the difference between 9-7 and 16-0.

Seriously, the issue is keeping the ball from the opponents when we have a lead. This is where "run" with a lead come into play. Our inability or unwillingness to use the run to eat up clock at the end of games hurts us. We are much more likely to lose leads than during the Cowher era, even in years when our defenses were worse because opponents didnt get enough possessions to mount a comeback.

Say what you will about "the turtle" but it worked.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

It's all about balance...

Matt Schaub led the league in passing yards last year...he had a 2-to-1 INT ration and a YpA of 8.2 yards...the Texans didn't make the playoffs...

Chris Johnson led the league in rushing yards...he became the sixth player to reach 2,000 yards in a season...he averaged 5.6 YpC and rushed for 14 TDs...the Titans didn't make the playoffs either...

Offensive balance is the key...not necessarily have an equal amount of passing/rushing, but being able to pass or rush when needed...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with all of you about balance but i think its the way you achieve that balance that defines Steeler football. Dominant running, big pass plays, and intimidating defense is what i know about the Steelers way. We are not a west coast, dink and dunk, misdirection team. What we have lost in the past few years is the ability to line up and run it down a team's throat when necessary. Whether good or bad, or due to the evolution of the game, we have gotten away from that aspect of Steelers football.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.