Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is "Steeler football" obsolete?

Re: Is "Steeler football" obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Tampa won with a dominating defense & an efficient offense
    Brad Johnson was the NFC's leading passer. Their offensive numbers tanked when he didn't play for three games when he was hurt.
    Actually, Efficient is EXACTLY what Brad was. They were not prolific, Brad was "effective" thus a high QB rating.

Who was mr. Prolific? His SB opponent league MVP Rich Gannon. Crushed in the SB.

Legend

Johnson had 22 TD passes and 3049 yards in 13 games in 2002, that's a tad better than efficient IMO.

Bens least attempts was his first SB victory.
    He missed four games injured that season also.

Bens second lowest attempts was his rookie season with his best career regular season losing to the Cheatriots dynasty.
    He began the year as the #2 QB and didn't start until game 3. He also missed the last game of the year with bruised ribs.

People who worry too much about passing attempts also don't realize when you average 8 yards per attempt you aren't dinking and dunking all over the field, of course his attempts will be down when he's averaging damn near a first down every time he completes a pass.

Pass early to get leads, run to protect them.

That's the Ben way.

Always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Johnson had 22 TD passes and 3049 yards in 13 games in 2002, that's a tad better than efficient IMO.

Bens least attempts was his first SB victory.
    He missed four games injured that season also.

[quote:2dptttmr]Bens second lowest attempts was his rookie season with his best career regular season losing to the Cheatriots dynasty.
    He began the year as the #2 QB and didn't start until game 3. He also missed the last game of the year with bruised ribs.

People who worry too much about passing attempts also don't realize when you average 8 yards per attempt you aren't dinking and dunking all over the field, of course his attempts will be down when he's averaging damn near a first down every time he completes a pass.

Pass early to get leads, run to protect them.

That's the Ben way.

Always has been.[/quote:2dptttmr]

Actually, I agree with that formula, and I agree it works. When we do that we dont have the pass run disparity we had last year.

Hall of Famer

Conventional wisdom has been to "run to set-up the pass". But in today's game, it's the opposite--you should pass to set-up the run. That effectively plays out by you getting the lead, then "taking the air out of the ball" in he 3rd/4th quarters by running.

I think that was Cowher's downfall (that and having a Ben Roethlisberger of course). Cowher was from the Schottenheimer school, and that school is fine as a general practice. But I think it cost us at least ONE SB during that time, when we were really good for that whole time. Cheating (by the Pats*) also has a factor in this--us not having another SB.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Steeler football is not just tough D and running the football. Steeler football is playing physical defense and being able to run the football successfully when the opponent knows we are going to run.

That was the part we have been lacking on the offensive side of the ball the last couple of years. We haven't been able to impose our will on the other guy. We used to be able to line up and tell the other guys ... we have the ball, we are going to run it and you can't do a damn thing to stop us.

Sniff, I miss the days of the Bettis dance after a tough 5 yard run. Hopefully Pouncey, Mendy and Redzone can help bring that back.

<a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Hall of Famer

I always wonder why people equate the 1970's with running the football and that that was what is steeler football. last time I checked, our qb and two star receivers from the 1970's are in the Hall of Fame. To me that suggests that we must have been a very good passing team also. So i dispute the laymans use of "Steeler Football" it's not about running the all. It's about smart BALANCED football on offense. with a stingy, hard hitting, physical defense.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    I always wonder why people equate the 1970's with running the football and that that was what is steeler football. last time I checked, our qb and two star receivers from the 1970's are in the Hall of Fame. To me that suggests that we must have been a very good passing team also. So i dispute the laymans use of "Steeler Football" it's not about running the all. It's about smart BALANCED football on offense. with a stingy, hard hitting, physical defense.
    I was thinking the same thing. Who were the MVP's of those SB's? Franco got the first one, but the rest were all because of the passing game and not running or D.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    I was thinking the same thing. Who were the MVP's of those SB's? Franco got the first one, but the rest were all because of the passing game and not running or D.
    It never ceases to amaze me when people talk about steeler football and how it's all about running the ball. we were stuck with running the all in the 80's because our HOF qb retired and the heir apparent 1st round pick was injured and never played up to his potential (Malone).
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

I think where we have strayed a bit is in terms of playcalling. I remember being a bit frustrated last year when our defense let up in the 4th quarter way too many times. A lot of that was completely on them and not having Troy and Smith. Some of it, however, was due to un-Steeler like playcalling when we should have been burning the clock to protect a lead.

Steeler football was not just running the damn ball down people's throats. I always thought of it as imposing your will both offensively and defensively, but part of that is being able to use the run to keep the chains moving and your defense off the field.

Hopefully, this year's supposed emphasis on running more effectively will mean a return to that ability. Personally, if we only ran for 85 yards per game every game I wouldn't care just so long as we can pick up 3rd and short to keep the defense off the field in the 4th quarter.

I agree that there has to be balance, and I am excited to see the young WRs (Sanders, Brown and Wallace) mature. The only thing that I don't want to see in the passing game is 5-wide. Something bad usually happens when you remove the threat of a run and a man to pick up a blitz. Ben's inteception the other night was out of a 5-wide set. Seems to always happen. The formation is inherently UNbalanced.