Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One name to put away for a rainy day...

Legend

User Info Menu

One name to put away for a rainy day...

Given the lack of real depth in the Steelers RB's, it would be very wise to keep an eye on TB RB Derrick Ward who is looking like a cut-list possibility....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: One name to put away for a rainy day...

I was watching the Tampa game on replay the other day, and I was thinking the same thing. What is it with players who go to Tampa and lose all of their abilities?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if ward gets cut the steelers should pick him up right away. he would be a great addition and would provide depth at RB that we need. i wish the steelers would of signed justin fargas, but if the steelers got ward i would be even happier

Legend

User Info Menu

I kind of thought of him a while ago when I saw that he was on the bubble in Tampa. Assuming that he hasn't completely lost his ability, he could be a nice complimentary piece and insurance for Mendy. The question is - who would he replace?

At this point, I'd have to think that Mendy, Moore and Redman are all locks at RB. Summers seems to be the FB by default, but perhaps if Ward is added Summers goes and is replaced by Johnson/McHugh when the Steelers use a FB, and by Legursky as the goal line FB.

Interesting decision, but Ward could be a useful guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Didn't Ward sign a pretty big free agent deal with Tampa? I'm just wondering if he would be willing to take backup money to play for us.

I kinda like our backs right now. With Mendy, Moore and Redmen I think we have 3 very capable backs. Summers also seems to be improving (except for his blocking).

Who would Ward replace? Moore? Have we given up on Dwyer already? Don't get me wrong ... I like Ward but I'm not sure where he would fit.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Contract isn't guaranteed. Once Ward gets cut he'd sign for ANYTHING...especially after spending 3 years in Tampa.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what value he would have...except for watching from the sidelines. He's not replacing Mendi. I doubt at this point he could do better than Moore who is proficient in what he does for us. Now could he at this time replace Redman in short yardage. He'd be a waste for us really. And I doubt he wants to come here to site when there's several other options for him to contribute maybe. Frankly, I think he was an over-hyped fantasy football by-product.
    I'd rather we spend our time chasing down any RT that gets cut.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd swoop up Derrick Ward in a minute and gladly send Summers packing, if necessary. Like many have already expressed, I am not too comfortable with our RB depth. I like what we have in Mendy, Moore and Redman but I think we could use one more stud not named Summers to get us through the season. It's a long season and you know these guys are going to get nicked up. When the emphasis being put on the run game another strong RB should be welcomed.

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem with the Steelers RB's at this point is this- if Mendy gets hurt, we have Moore & Redman splitting carries- hardly an awe inspiring combination. Both players are handy role players, but not exactly #1 RB types if injury occurs. Ward has the skill set to contribute as a #1 RB if Mendy was to get hurt- in fact, he's kind of similar to Mendy in many ways.

If McHugh/Johnson is the 3rd TE/FB hybrid- Summers is expendable.

And Dwyer needs to morph into an NFL player in the next few weeks to save a roster spot for himself.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

If he does indeed get cut, I gotta think he's going to St Louis. Rams need a backup to Steven Jackson in the worst way, and Spagnuolo knows him from their days together in NY.