Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets Already Have a Replacement for Revis...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Jets Already Have a Replacement for Revis...

Revis was worth it coming our of college. Some guys are and some aren't... and every so often you get a guy who is head and shoulders above the rest. While I think most players think they are the best at what they do, when that guy gets on the NFL field and realizes he can shut down the best of the best at a rate no one fathomed he has a right to ask for mo money.

Ike Taylor is Revis without hands and natural instincts. Ike is all speed but he doesn't have that gift... Revis runs routes better than the WR's. I watched him at PITT and I watched him in HS at Aliquippa. I knew he was good but I didn't know he would be able to shut down Moss, TO, Ocho, Holmes, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and any other #1 WR.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

He's held out twice now. Glad he's not on our team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think majority of the blame should go to Jets GM and Rex Ryan for this situation....when they said he should be the highest paid CB in the league.

I believe Shutdown CB is a myth and 20 million dollars/yr for a CB is way too much amount. Also putting so much money at one position is going to mess up team balance and one will have to compromise at other position. Also it will screw team chemistry.

No thanks. 8-10 million dollars and 2nd Rd pick sign him up. 20 million bye bye.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis
    I have no interest in this bum playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    None whatsoever...
    Screw him and his BS holdout!
    Yeah, we'd NEVER want a guy on our team who holds out...ahem....Rod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod Woodson

It was a big mistake to let Woodson walk according to Dan Rooney.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Revis would give us a complete shutdown secondary. We would be idiots not to give up a first, second and mad money to acquire his skill set.
    Not to say that having Revis in the Steelers secondary wouldn't be a huge advantage...

I just don't see the Steelers ever paying that kind of money for a CB in the LeBeau system.

The pass defense is based upon pressure and confusion.
    We had arguably the most complete corner in history in Rod WOODSON. The only time we made the SB with his as a Steeler was THE SEASON HE MISSED. We lost the one game he actually played in.

THE BEST STEELER SEASON DURING HIS TIME HERE HE DID NOT PLAY.

Our pass defense of two years ago ranked higher than ANY defense during the Woodson era. Our CBs were by no means "elite".

Woodson was amazing. But I think there is something to the idea that our defense is not dependent on great CB play

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Starter

User Info Menu

I was referring to Rod Woodson as a rookie, when he held out until mid-October before finally signing his contract.

FWIW, I have no problem with Revis wanting more money. Careers in the NFL are notoriously short, so get it while you can. Especially when teams can cut players whenever they decide to do so, thus avoiding paying out the remainder of the contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis
    I have no interest in this bum playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    None whatsoever...
    Screw him and his BS holdout!
    Yeah, we'd NEVER want a guy on our team who holds out...ahem....Rod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod Woodson

Woodson held out well into his rookie season. He would later sign a contract making him the highest contract ever paid a corner at the time.

Woodson was offerred before he became a free agent right after we went to the SB w/o his help, depite his coming off an injury. Arrogant, he thought he was still an elite corner and he snubbed the Rooneys.

Age and injury affected his speed, he had a down season as a corner he walked and signed for less than we offerred him previously. He was made a safety and was very good one for other teams.

The reason Rod Woodson did not retire a Steeler is Rod Woodson.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Jets acknowledge they discussed trading Darrelle Revis

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 10, 2010

Florio discussed the chances of the Jets trading Darrelle Revis earlier Tuesday, calling it a "remote possibility" that the Jets could at least consider.

G.M. Mike Tannenbaum confirmed the team did just that.

"We've discussed that and we don't have any interest in trading the player," Tannenbaum said on ESPN 1050 Tuesday, during one the 43 media availabilities by the Jets front office over the last two days.

It's interesting the subject was broached, but a trade isn't going to happen. Someone just forgot to prep owner Woody Johnson properly for this talking point.

"We haven't made that decision, but I doubt it," Johnson said in his earlier segment on the same radio station.

The Jets need to get their stories straight if they are going play a transparent game of "hardball" with Revis, saying they are ready to move on without him.

In one interview Monday, Johnson said he didn't expect Revis back for Week One. In another interview with E:60, Johnson said he didn't expect Revis back this season at all.

This whole game is more than a little silly, but it's going to dominate headlines in New York at a time both NFL teams are trying to sell tickets like never before. There's no such thing as bad press, and Johnson is tired of being ignored.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/jets-acknowledge-they-discussed-trading-darrelle-revis/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lle-revis/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

didn't oakland franchise ashawhatever his name is?

Revis says he wants to be the best paid CB. but if the jets were to offer an average of 10-12M cap hit a year for 6 years...he'd have the largest CB contract ever. with a signing bonus and a similiar roster bonus to what dumerville got his 1st year he could have $25M in his pocket by the end of the year.
    would he turn down something like a 6 yr $75M contract with nearly half of that guarenteed

problem is the jets aren't negotiating with him

generally, i think its the team that usually wins in these types of cases cause at the end of the day its a few million to play the year out vs. no money with a lost year. but with revis' salary being only $1M for this season...he has to be thinking if he's really losing much (dont know if there's any bonuses)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the jets should just pay revis his money. they are being very cheap. they can easily afford to pay him whatever he wants and its an uncapped year. revis deserves to be the highest paid cb. i remember he held out as a rookie because the jets wanted him to sign an 8 year contract or something crazy which is why he agreed to 6 years.

woodley and revis are in very similar situations. woodley may not be the best OLB but he is top 5 and makes half a mill this season. revis will make 1 mill. woodley is playing revis might miss the entire season. woodley deserves a big pay day for this alone. most players would holdout like revis.