Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets Already Have a Replacement for Revis...

Re: Jets Already Have a Replacement for Revis...

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Revis would give us a complete shutdown secondary. We would be idiots not to give up a first, second and mad money to acquire his skill set.
    Not to say that having Revis in the Steelers secondary wouldn't be a huge advantage...

I just don't see the Steelers ever paying that kind of money for a CB in the LeBeau system.

The pass defense is based upon pressure and confusion.
    You are correct. This would be an anti-Steeler like move. Who am I to say I know better than the Steelers? But, if I was running things I would gladly give up a first and second round pick and pay the cash to acquire Revis.

As for the notion that players should honor their contracts well I'm not so convinced of that stance. Personally, I think teams and players should be able to negotiate lower and higher contracts based on performance. I think it's only fair for a player to be paid accordingly for his services.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    To hell with people that can't honor their words or their contracts. Why do they sign it if they don't intend on following through ? The entire reason for contracts is so that you don't have stuff like this by running from team to team each season for the highest bid and causing personale problems for your team.

It's one thing if the team is willing to consider it but when you hold out, fake an injury, your just a worthless person.

If one of you guys sell your car for say $5,000.00 and you run into the new owner and see the car is running good, still looks good and what have you, do you now demand more money for the car ? Say you are the buyer and a couple years later the seller comes up to you and tells you, " I didn't know the car was going to do so well, I want more money. "
    I can just hear the conversation between buyer and seller. The FU word would be the first words spoken.

It's no different from what these clowns are trying when they back out of a contract.

I wouldn't want a player that causes scraps on my team, maybe he should join the Bengals, that's a real zoo over there with their share of characters that lack character.
    When a player isn't living up to expectations, a team will either cut said player or ask said player to take less money. Can't blame a guy for doing what the team would do.

I have no interest in this bum playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    None whatsoever...
    Screw him and his BS holdout!
    Yeah, we'd NEVER want a guy on our team who holds out...ahem....Rod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod WoodsonRod Woodson

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    To hell with people that can't honor their words or their contracts. Why do they sign it if they don't intend on following through ? The entire reason for contracts is so that you don't have stuff like this by running from team to team each season for the highest bid and causing personale problems for your team.

It's one thing if the team is willing to consider it but when you hold out, fake an injury, your just a worthless person.

If one of you guys sell your car for say $5,000.00 and you run into the new owner and see the car is running good, still looks good and what have you, do you now demand more money for the car ? Say you are the buyer and a couple years later the seller comes up to you and tells you, " I didn't know the car was going to do so well, I want more money. "
    I can just hear the conversation between buyer and seller. The FU word would be the first words spoken.

It's no different from what these clowns are trying when they back out of a contract.

I wouldn't want a player that causes scraps on my team, maybe he should join the Bengals, that's a real zoo over there with their share of characters that lack character.
    When a player isn't living up to expectations, a team will either cut said player or ask said player to take less money. Can't blame a guy for doing what the team would do.
    You know, this actually kind of makes me change my mind about this kind of thing. Is it really as simple as this? Seems kind of fair to "sit out" if the team has just as much of a right to kick you to the curb at their whim.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    If Revis is so good why is it possible for the Jets to replace him with a rookie?
    This is usually the comment made by someone who doesn't know much about the player being talked about. Come on dude look at what Revis did to every receiver he went against last year. Pure shut down. And he wasnt just shutting down average receivers.

The reason the Jets already have his replacement isnt because he is replaceable. It is because they cant sign him and have to move on without him. It really isnt a choice.

This league has seen a complete CB like Revis since Woodson.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

As for the notion that players should honor their contracts well I'm not so convinced of that stance. Personally, I think teams and players should be able to negotiate lower and higher contracts based on performance. I think it's only fair for a player to be paid accordingly for his services.
    Cha-ching! Money post. When Revis signed his initial contract he wasnt the best CB or quite possibly the best overall defensive player in football. And now he is. I agree Shawn. He should be paid like it.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy

You know, this actually kind of makes me change my mind about this kind of thing. Is it really as simple as this? Seems kind of fair to "sit out" if the team has just as much of a right to kick you to the curb at their whim.
    $$$

Legend

There is nothing wrong with what Revis is doing. He is the best corner in the league and should be paid accordingly if he can get it.

Imagine signing a 4 year contract to work at a company for 50K and you generate millions and out perform the best workers who are making 750k a year. Are you really going to wait 4 years to get paid 750k when you know damn well you can make much more and you are making the company a boat load of money?

The Jets can move on but will they move on to the playoffs without Revis? This is going to be interesting. His uncle is also Sean Gilbert and that guy was very stubborn, I'm sure he is advising Revis to sit out. The year Revis had was one for the ages... if he doesn't get paid off of that resume and gets injured this year it would really hurt his finances.

Hall of Famer

i talked with a good friend today who's a big jet fan.

i texted him that ike taylor plus a #1 pick is a rumor going around and expected for him to reply it was BS.

to my surprise he said he's getting sick of Revis. pointing out he held out his rookie year to get a longer term contract (6 years) and now wants to turn around and renegoiate before that 6 years is up

he even asked "how good is taylor" and doesn't want the FO to give in because of all of their up coming free agents... mangold, harris along with the recent mercenaries they've brought over (holmes, edwards, cromartie)

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Cha-ching! Money post. When Revis signed his initial contract he wasnt the best CB or quite possibly the best overall defensive player in football. And now he is. I agree Shawn. He should be paid like it.
    and the other side of the arguement is ...was he worth the signing bonus/salary he got coming out of college and making more then some vets in the league?