Thread: Redman not settling this time around

Pro Bowler

Redman not settling this time around

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 94154.html

If another stellar training camp serves as a springboard to making the Steelers' 53-man roster, running back Isaac Redman will be able to reflect on how far he has come.

Last year, Redman arrived at St. Vincent College in less than stellar football shape. He barely completed the conditioning test that precedes the start of training camp and labored so mightily during a series of 100-yard runs that Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson called it "comical."

It very easily could have been no laughing matter for Redman.

"I looked out of shape," said Redman, whose problems were compounded by the fact that he has asthma. "I'm a rookie, undrafted. They could have sent me right home."

Redman has overcome that humbling start to his Steelers' career and is bidding to fill the critical and, as yet, unclaimed role of short-yardage back.

The 6-foot, 230-pounder has the power, vision and balance that is required to grind out the tough yards when they are needed most.

Perhaps just as significant for the Steelers is the surge in confidence Redman experienced after spending a season on the practice squad and training with the team this offseason.

"I know the offense now and I actually feel like a pro," said Redman, who has also been working at fullback. "I'm not settling for practice squad this year. I definitely can be that (short-yardage) guy."

How Redman performs in the preseason games starting Saturday against Detroit will go a long way toward his convincing the Steelers' coaches the same thing.

Redman had mixed results in the Steelers' first live action of training camp Sunday.

Taking the two carries against the first-team defense during the goal-line drill, Redman scored once but was stuffed short of the end zone on his second attempt.

"I wasn't really impressed," inside linebacker Larry Foote said. "Hopefully we see it better Saturday."

Redman shined during preseason games last year and almost became the longest of long shots to make the team.

He probably never would have gotten a chance with the Steelers if not for the close relationship between his uncle, Todd McNair, and Arians.

McNair played for Arians at Temple and later when the two were with the Kansas City Chiefs.

After his senior season at Bowie State, Redman went to Southern Cal to work out as McNair was the Trojans' running backs coach at the time.

They put together a highlight tape and McNair asked Arians to look at it.

When Arians made the same request of Wilson the latter agreed out of courtesy as much as anything.

Wilson said he liked what he saw on the tape. He was not nearly as impressed when Redman, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2009, reported to camp.

"It was really bad, one of the all-time worst of a guy not being in football shape but he hung in there," Wilson said. "It happens every year, all across the National Football League, guys don't understand there's in shape and there's football in shape. It's totally different."

So is Redman after that initial shock to his system.

"He's really stood out this year," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "His blocking ability, pass protection you always see him on the tape, coach Tomlin highlights that."

Arians said Redman is the Steelers' best running back in pass protection.

Over the next couple of weeks he will get the chance to show that he can do more than just stand up blitzing linebackers.

"He's got enough strength and size to play fullback and also be a short-yardage, goal-line runner. He's got great hands so the sky's the limit for the kid," Arians said. "When his opportunity comes, what do you do with it? No one ever thought (former Steelers standout) Barry Foster would be Barry Foster until he got the ball."

Hall of Famer

Re: Redman not settling this time around

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    "He's got enough strength and size to play fullback and also be a short-yardage, goal-line runner. He's got great hands so the sky's the limit for the kid," Arians said. "When his opportunity comes, what do you do with it? No one ever thought (former Steelers standout) Barry Foster would be Barry Foster until he got the ball."
    Keep working Redman!
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_694154.html

If another stellar training camp serves as a springboard to making the Steelers' 53-man roster, running back Isaac Redman will be able to reflect on how far he has come.

Last year, Redman arrived at St. Vincent College in less than stellar football shape. He barely completed the conditioning test that precedes the start of training camp and labored so mightily during a series of 100-yard runs that Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson called it "comical."

It very easily could have been no laughing matter for Redman.

"I looked out of shape," said Redman, whose problems were compounded by the fact that he has asthma. "I'm a rookie, undrafted. They could have sent me right home."

Redman has overcome that humbling start to his Steelers' career and is bidding to fill the critical and, as yet, unclaimed role of short-yardage back.

The 6-foot, 230-pounder has the power, vision and balance that is required to grind out the tough yards when they are needed most.

Perhaps just as significant for the Steelers is the surge in confidence Redman experienced after spending a season on the practice squad and training with the team this offseason.

"I know the offense now and I actually feel like a pro," said Redman, who has also been working at fullback. "I'm not settling for practice squad this year. I definitely can be that (short-yardage) guy."

How Redman performs in the preseason games starting Saturday against Detroit will go a long way toward his convincing the Steelers' coaches the same thing.

Redman had mixed results in the Steelers' first live action of training camp Sunday.

Taking the two carries against the first-team defense during the goal-line drill, Redman scored once but was stuffed short of the end zone on his second attempt.

"I wasn't really impressed," inside linebacker Larry Foote said. "Hopefully we see it better Saturday."

Redman shined during preseason games last year and almost became the longest of long shots to make the team.

He probably never would have gotten a chance with the Steelers if not for the close relationship between his uncle, Todd McNair, and Arians.

McNair played for Arians at Temple and later when the two were with the Kansas City Chiefs.

After his senior season at Bowie State, Redman went to Southern Cal to work out as McNair was the Trojans' running backs coach at the time.

They put together a highlight tape and McNair asked Arians to look at it.

When Arians made the same request of Wilson the latter agreed out of courtesy as much as anything.

Wilson said he liked what he saw on the tape. He was not nearly as impressed when Redman, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2009, reported to camp.

"It was really bad, one of the all-time worst of a guy not being in football shape but he hung in there," Wilson said. "It happens every year, all across the National Football League, guys don't understand there's in shape and there's football in shape. It's totally different."

So is Redman after that initial shock to his system.

"He's really stood out this year," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "His blocking ability, pass protection you always see him on the tape, coach Tomlin highlights that."

Over the next couple of weeks he will get the chance to show that he can do more than just stand up blitzing linebackers.

OMG, is Ariens just full of BS, or can this be true? (Or both ). Who does this guy need to beat out to be on the team? A blocking RB, who can also pound the ball across the line in goal line situations - what's not to like about that?

OT - I remember reading a lot about this guy last year, but not so much how apparently pitifully out of shape he was. BTW - what kind of "being in shape", but not 'football-being-in-shape" , is someone in if they can barely finish a 100 yard run?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

I believe it was multiple 100yard dashes. But still, I get your point.
    He was not in shape and possibly had no confidence in ever making it on the roster. Once a legitimate carrot was shown to him, he began to work. He was from Div.2, so I can imagine that there was little reality for him to make it. Its also hard to work on fitness with no cash. He might have been working all last summer flipping burgers. Hard to stay in NFL fitness with no up front cash and no confidence of a legitimate shot. These are excuses that are irrelevant....if he keeps working.

Hall of Famer

Nice to see Foote providing veteran motivation and leadership to the young man.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

I've been hearing a lot of talk on Redman and his accomplishments this camp. I haven't heard a thing about the Tank, what's up with him ?

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_694154.html

"He's got enough strength and size to play fullback and also be a short-yardage, goal-line runner. He's got great hands so the sky's the limit for the kid," Arians said.
    Pass happy coach who thinks the only problem with the run game is short yardage? His ideal starting RB will have 100 carries for 390 yards and 15 TDs, while his QB throws for 5,000 yards. Slow Redman is his dream back.

Redman is a lock!!! Rashard better watch out.

Come to think about it. Isn't the # 2 RB job up for grabs. Mewelde Moore who I am a big fan of is now a couple - three years older then when he saved the Steelers butts when RM got hurt. The Steelers will need a relief, complementary, spellback, #2----whatever you want to call him.. Why not Redman? None of the others there have ever done anything in the NFL. It's not the Steelers policy to annoint players on reputation ---Is it? Yeah, why not Redman. Go get em Otis oops whats his name anyhowl-l-oh it's Isaac. Ok. Well anyhow, Go gettem Redzone.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming
    Pass happy coach who thinks the only problem with the run game is short yardage? His ideal starting RB will have 100 carries for 390 yards and 15 TDs, while his QB throws for 5,000 yards. Slow Redman is his dream back.

Redman is a lock!!! Rashard better watch out.
    I wouldn't actually have too much trouble with that. As long as the D is dominant and the ST's are competent. Not saying that Redman is my dream back or anything, but I have no problem with a pass heavy O as long as the run is effective when it needs to be (short yardage and goal line).