Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben on Siebel and Starky

Re: Ben on Siebel and Starky

I think Ben is a instinct player. Maybe if some of these guys rely on films so much and try to see what is un-folding in front of them compared to the films they've watched, maybe they lose the reaction to play at hand ? They're thinking too much instead of reacting. Just a hunch.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    I think Ben is a instinct player. Maybe if some of these guys rely on films so much and try to see what is un-folding in front of them compared to the films they've watched, maybe they lose the reaction to play at hand ? They're thinking too much instead of reacting. Just a hunch.
    True, I think this is why Peyton is a beast in the regular season but struggled for years in the playoffs. I also think this is why Ben takes hellified hits and does his best work after the initial play breaks down.

Legend

Peyton can't feast on weak teams in the playoffs.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Peyton eats up good teams in the regular season too. However when those teams do the unexpected and what isn't on film he tends to look bad.

He almost threw himself out of the playoffs against the Ravens last year too.

Hall of Famer

Peyton Manning can't play in cold weather...nuff said.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Peyton eats up good teams in the regular season too.

In dome and piped noise.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    thats not the reason why hines's divorce isnt in the news. its not in the news because its not really news worthy. people get divorced all the time, its not a big deal at all. i dont recall too many players in any sport having their marital status in the news.
    In this era? In sports? You're nuts.
    People who read People and US Weekly and whatever in this celebrity obsessed era go nuts when, for example, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston get a divorce...but in the sports world, unless it is something totally crazy like Tiger's wife using one of his golf clubs to beat in the back window of the SUV he crashed on a neighbor's lawn on Thanksgiving because he was sleeping with a couple of dozen different women, we don't care. If it doesn't impact whether a guy is starting on Sunday, then what difference does it make to even the most hardcore football fans?
    I agree. Besides Tiger what other divorce was major news? MJ? His separation lasted so long when it actually was finalized no one cared. When you limit it to football I don't recall any divorces being major news. I think Crash is more concerned with divorces in sports than the media is. It's actuall a common thing given the money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Just got the article.

I work in the film room but I'm not one of those guys who spends countless hours in the film room. I'm in my playbook. I'm a visual guy. I wanna see the playbook. My ideal is when I'm on the field visualizing it on walk throughs or in practice. That's just how I wanna see it and that's just how I learn.
    http://937thefan.cbslocal.com/2010/08/0 ... n-the-fan/

Audio is about halfway down the page.
    Who is talking about film study to learn his own offense better? I'm not exactly worried about that. Most film study is used to better understand your opponent. Get to know their tendencies and weaknesses, in order to exploit them. You CANNOT "learn" this stuff on the field. I can only hope that Ben spends the time he needs in the film room looking at the opposition.

If not, then I guess this is where he has room to grow as a player.

If not, then I'd have to ask myself what is wrong with him.

I'll take Ben over any QB in the league, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. He's getting paid $100M to perform his craft. If he doesn't have a team of coaches and trainers looking for every possible way to improve, then he is simply wrong.

I'm not saying he doesn't do this, but it would seem from his own comments that he has a little film room aversion.
    Did you ever play football? On walk throughs and even in practices against scout teams you are practicing against what the opponent does. The plays are part of the gameplan to take advantage of defensive tendencies. By knowing the plays and the gameplan and by practicing them he learns better. That's what works for him.

I think you are the typical Steelers fan who takes his comments out of context. He never said he doesn't study film. He said he learns more by doing. So he studies film just as he says he does but he also freely admits that he learns more by doing. Many people are like that. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If a learning technique isn't as effective for a person then more time spent utilizing that learning technique is a total waste of time.

What Ben does is clearly working. And despite what the media reports and what the OP posted, Ben himself said that he does study film.
    I coached the game brother and don't need my knowledge questioned by someone who obviously has no idea what they are talking about. What film rats do is study film of the opponent. Sure they look at coaches tape of their own practices and games, but you look for weaknesses and tendencies ON FILM.

I'm not saying Ben doesn't put in his time in the film room, and I think I was pretty clear in stating that. However, it's only through a ton of film study that you can start to see that a particular linebacker likes to cheat a step outside in certain down and distance scenarios, or that a DL can be induced offsides in the 4th quarter on a hard count.

You really think Peyton Manning is sitting in a film room all day and looking at his offense? Please.

And as far as your hard-on for all things Ben. Why don't you slow your roll a little and actually read what is being written, before you feel the need to defend him. I've always supported Ben and will continue to support him. A few posters on this board however, are starting to remind me of MSM - in terms of their blind and rabid devotion.
    Well sir, I played so I do know what I am talking about. Ben says he studies film so he obviously sees the tendencies when studying film. But he also says he learns better by doing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The man has 2 rings so he seems to be on the right track.

Ben installed a film room when he bought his new house in 2006.

Just like when the media took "we need to run the ball better" and turned it into "the Steelers will run the ball MORE", they turned Ben's comment of NOT LIKING to watch film into HE DOES NOT watch film at all.

Media just prints what they want to print, facts be damned.
    Got to go along with you on this one. Yeah, they turned what is probably a routine end of year summation by one of the Rooney's the past fifty years into a whole list of agenda fuel.

Ben installed a film room when he bought his new house in 2006.

Just like when the media took "we need to run the ball better" and turned it into "the Steelers will run the ball MORE", they turned Ben's comment of NOT LIKING to watch film into HE DOES NOT watch film at all.

Media just prints what they want to print, facts be damned.
    Come to think about it. I always wondered why Coach Noll rarely said anything. I have read this stated often. It always puzzled me. On the other hand. Since Bruce Arians has been here he is probably the most quoted of any of the Steeler coaches. Frequently whenever a player is having problems it is BA who is asked by reporters to comment. And he always does in a positive way and it is reported as such. Nonetheless, notice the result of all this exposure. Even after 2 WC's and year in year out excellent WR groups. Guess who is always under fire as they say. It is really puzzling. What I think happens is it isn't entirely the media. People read something and twist or interpret it to suit their own ends.

Ok. enough rambling. So Ben said he preferred watching XXX rated films as opposed to those boring NFL films. What! Oh he didn't say that. Sorry I must have misread that. LMAO