Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben on Siebel and Starky

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Ben on Siebel and Starky

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Ben installed a film room when he bought his new house in 2006.

Just like when the media took "we need to run the ball better" and turned it into "the Steelers will run the ball MORE", they turned Ben's comment of NOT LIKING to watch film into HE DOES NOT watch film at all.

Media just prints what they want to print, facts be damned.
    does that apply only to ben? it certainly doesnt apply to hines or bettis right?
    Most of Ward's and Bettis' problems are their direct quotes. If anything since they both kiss media a$$ they have been protected by their media pals.

Hines is divorced, you haven't seen that published in the Pittsburgh media, because Ward gives the media good quote.
    Why should anyone care which players on our team are divorced?

Unfortunately, more than half of the marriages in this country in end divorce today.

And I'd imagine those numbers are even worse when millionaire celebrities are involved.

To make up for this supposed egregious lack of media coverage concerning player nuptials, should we now refer to Ward as "divorced Hines," just like how you tend to call Roethlisberger "white Ben" these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Just got the article.

I work in the film room but I'm not one of those guys who spends countless hours in the film room. I'm in my playbook. I'm a visual guy. I wanna see the playbook. My ideal is when I'm on the field visualizing it on walk throughs or in practice. That's just how I wanna see it and that's just how I learn.
    http://937thefan.cbslocal.com/2010/08/0 ... n-the-fan/

Audio is about halfway down the page.
    Who is talking about film study to learn his own offense better? I'm not exactly worried about that. Most film study is used to better understand your opponent. Get to know their tendencies and weaknesses, in order to exploit them. You CANNOT "learn" this stuff on the field. I can only hope that Ben spends the time he needs in the film room looking at the opposition.

If not, then I guess this is where he has room to grow as a player.

If not, then I'd have to ask myself what is wrong with him.

I'll take Ben over any QB in the league, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. He's getting paid $100M to perform his craft. If he doesn't have a team of coaches and trainers looking for every possible way to improve, then he is simply wrong.

I'm not saying he doesn't do this, but it would seem from his own comments that he has a little film room aversion.
    Did you ever play football? On walk throughs and even in practices against scout teams you are practicing against what the opponent does. The plays are part of the gameplan to take advantage of defensive tendencies. By knowing the plays and the gameplan and by practicing them he learns better. That's what works for him.

I think you are the typical Steelers fan who takes his comments out of context. He never said he doesn't study film. He said he learns more by doing. So he studies film just as he says he does but he also freely admits that he learns more by doing. Many people are like that. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If a learning technique isn't as effective for a person then more time spent utilizing that learning technique is a total waste of time.

What Ben does is clearly working. And despite what the media reports and what the OP posted, Ben himself said that he does study film.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Ben installed a film room when he bought his new house in 2006.

Just like when the media took "we need to run the ball better" and turned it into "the Steelers will run the ball MORE", they turned Ben's comment of NOT LIKING to watch film into HE DOES NOT watch film at all.

Media just prints what they want to print, facts be damned.
    does that apply only to ben? it certainly doesnt apply to hines or bettis right?
    Most of Ward's and Bettis' problems are their direct quotes. If anything since they both kiss media a$$ they have been protected by their media pals.

Hines is divorced, you haven't seen that published in the Pittsburgh media, because Ward gives the media good quote.
    thats not the reason why hines's divorce isnt in the news. its not in the news because its not really news worthy. people get divorced all the time, its not a big deal at all. i dont recall too many players in any sport having their marital status in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by siss
    Recap:
    -He's said its been a good camp. He's helping the young guys get better.
    -This offseason he worked out 6 days a week. 1 day he did yoga. His mother did yoga with him.
    -He has been a "coach" to the other guys. He's doing mental reps.
    -He has a plan for his suspension
    -Doesn't know how much time he will get during preseason
    -Likes Emanual sanders
    - Has had "warm" reception hasn't really gotten negative reaction. He's prepared for negative attention though.
    - Talks about veteran leadership.
    -Doesn't think about hall of fame induction first time he has been to the ceremonies.
    - Still doesn't do the film study, learns better on the field.
    - Him and BA are on the same page
    - isn't worried about filling that Santonio gap.
    I'd like to know if his exact words were, "I don't study film" or "I rarely study film" or something like that. Because I can't imagine the coaches would allow that.

I suspect what he said is something more along the lines of, "I don't study film as much as other guys because I learn more by being on the field".

Could be wrong, but that's my guess.
    Ya know I don't really think much about Ben not being a film guy. I look at the results and Ben knows what's going on around him. Some guys have different learning styles. In school, I was never a class kinda guy. I rarely went. I couldn't learn by hearing. I had to read it and write it and that's how I spent my time. I see Ben in the same light. He learns by doing. I don't think anyone could rightfully accuse him of being lazy.

Legend

thats not the reason why hines's divorce isnt in the news. its not in the news because its not really news worthy. people get divorced all the time, its not a big deal at all. i dont recall too many players in any sport having their marital status in the news.
    In this era? In sports? You're nuts.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

In this era? In sports? You're nuts.
    People who read People and US Weekly and whatever in this celebrity obsessed era go nuts when, for example, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston get a divorce...but in the sports world, unless it is something totally crazy like Tiger's wife using one of his golf clubs to beat in the back window of the SUV he crashed on a neighbor's lawn on Thanksgiving because he was sleeping with a couple of dozen different women, we don't care. If it doesn't impact whether a guy is starting on Sunday, then what difference does it make to even the most hardcore football fans?

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Just got the article.

I work in the film room but I'm not one of those guys who spends countless hours in the film room. I'm in my playbook. I'm a visual guy. I wanna see the playbook. My ideal is when I'm on the field visualizing it on walk throughs or in practice. That's just how I wanna see it and that's just how I learn.
    http://937thefan.cbslocal.com/2010/08/0 ... n-the-fan/

Audio is about halfway down the page.
    Who is talking about film study to learn his own offense better? I'm not exactly worried about that. Most film study is used to better understand your opponent. Get to know their tendencies and weaknesses, in order to exploit them. You CANNOT "learn" this stuff on the field. I can only hope that Ben spends the time he needs in the film room looking at the opposition.

If not, then I guess this is where he has room to grow as a player.

If not, then I'd have to ask myself what is wrong with him.

I'll take Ben over any QB in the league, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. He's getting paid $100M to perform his craft. If he doesn't have a team of coaches and trainers looking for every possible way to improve, then he is simply wrong.

I'm not saying he doesn't do this, but it would seem from his own comments that he has a little film room aversion.
    Did you ever play football? On walk throughs and even in practices against scout teams you are practicing against what the opponent does. The plays are part of the gameplan to take advantage of defensive tendencies. By knowing the plays and the gameplan and by practicing them he learns better. That's what works for him.

I think you are the typical Steelers fan who takes his comments out of context. He never said he doesn't study film. He said he learns more by doing. So he studies film just as he says he does but he also freely admits that he learns more by doing. Many people are like that. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If a learning technique isn't as effective for a person then more time spent utilizing that learning technique is a total waste of time.

What Ben does is clearly working. And despite what the media reports and what the OP posted, Ben himself said that he does study film.
    I coached the game brother and don't need my knowledge questioned by someone who obviously has no idea what they are talking about. What film rats do is study film of the opponent. Sure they look at coaches tape of their own practices and games, but you look for weaknesses and tendencies ON FILM.

I'm not saying Ben doesn't put in his time in the film room, and I think I was pretty clear in stating that. However, it's only through a ton of film study that you can start to see that a particular linebacker likes to cheat a step outside in certain down and distance scenarios, or that a DL can be induced offsides in the 4th quarter on a hard count.

You really think Peyton Manning is sitting in a film room all day and looking at his offense? Please.

And as far as your hard-on for all things Ben. Why don't you slow your roll a little and actually read what is being written, before you feel the need to defend him. I've always supported Ben and will continue to support him. A few posters on this board however, are starting to remind me of MSM - in terms of their blind and rabid devotion.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Legend

Seems like the media is going to wear Ben out with all that they are trying to get out of him now. All I hear now by these media types is, how easy it is to interview Ben, Ben is not turning down any interviews, Ben is stopping at every moment to be nice, answer questions and so on.
    Yeah, we wanted a nice guy at QB and some like myself would have liked to known that our Steelers players are the total package with wins, championships and a nice guy off the field but, don't use him up over it now that he's trying to turn things around.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by siss
    Recap:
    -He's said its been a good camp. He's helping the young guys get better.
    -This offseason he worked out 6 days a week. 1 day he did yoga. His mother did yoga with him.
    -He has been a "coach" to the other guys. He's doing mental reps.
    -He has a plan for his suspension
    -Doesn't know how much time he will get during preseason
    -Likes Emanual sanders
    - Has had "warm" reception hasn't really gotten negative reaction. He's prepared for negative attention though.
    - Talks about veteran leadership.
    -Doesn't think about hall of fame induction first time he has been to the ceremonies.
    - Still doesn't do the film study, learns better on the field.
    - Him and BA are on the same page
    - isn't worried about filling that Santonio gap.
    I'd like to know if his exact words were, "I don't study film" or "I rarely study film" or something like that. Because I can't imagine the coaches would allow that.

I suspect what he said is something more along the lines of, "I don't study film as much as other guys because I learn more by being on the field".

Could be wrong, but that's my guess.
    Ya know I don't really think much about Ben not being a film guy. I look at the results and Ben knows what's going on around him. Some guys have different learning styles. In school, I was never a class kinda guy. I rarely went. I couldn't learn by hearing. I had to read it and write it and that's how I spent my time. I see Ben in the same light. He learns by doing. I don't think anyone could rightfully accuse him of being lazy.
    I agree. I learn by doing. Apparently Ben does too and it's simply, for lack of a better term, stupid for people to expect Ben to learn the way THEY think he should learn.

Just as stupid as the media saying that Ben doesn't study film when what he actually said was, "I learn better by actually doing things on the field". And as stupid as the fans who take what the media said as truth despite what the man himself says.

And again, there's no way the coaches are saying to an NFL QB, "It's ok, you don't have to ever study film Ben."