Thread: My athlete shines at Special Olympics

Legend

User Info Menu

My athlete shines at Special Olympics

Sports
    Local athlete shines at Special Olympics
    Posted: Wednesday, Aug 4th, 2010
    BY: Amanda Fry, Staff Writer

[url="http://www.pcrecordtimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=74&story_id=17 78"]http://www.pcrecordtimes.com/v2_news_ar ... ry_id=1778[/url]

Courtesy photo Wheatland Special OIympics participant Jacob McKinley (right) and coach Bill Allison.
    For Jacob McKinley, the journey to the National Special Olympics in Lincoln, Neb, began in 2006, when he first participated in the Special Olympics program.

Jacob began Special Olympics in the basketball event. Soon, he moved to the program’s bowling event, and Jacob’s mother, Marilyn, said he “fell in love” with Special Olympics while participating in this event.

Since then, Jacob has also added track and field to his schedule, and at the National games, participated in the 50 meter run, the softball throw, and the standing long jump.

Jacob received a gold in both the softball throw and 50 meter run, and a silver in the long jump.

Marilyn said for her, watching the athletes at the Olympics, from their support of each other to their perseverance in their events, was very special, and they have a capability that goes beyond athletic ability.

For Jacob, Marilyn said the games help him gain confidence, and “he can be him,” when out competing, and there is “complete acceptance” for athletes at the Olympics.

Community support was another positive aspect of the National Games for the McKinleys. Marilyn emphasized the fundraisers, and general community support from Wheatland residents, as “overwhelming.”

“We live in a great community.”

Jacob was coached by Wheatland resident Bill Allison, a former high school track team member and Little League Coach. Now, Bill said he has helped coach for Special Olympics for 2 years.

Bill said the participants are recognized for their efforts only 7 days out of the year, with Wyoming hosting 3 events per year.

“That’s about the only time they really get out and get recognized,” Bill said.

Special Olympics are open to athletes 8 and up. For more information on the program, please contact your local Special Education department.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: My athlete shines at Special Olympics

Great stuff, FF!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Cool...I'm sure Mrs. FF has already scrapbooked the article to keep for future reference.

Congrats again, Jacob!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

SWEET!!! Nice bro... parenting is a blessing.

Legend

User Info Menu

VERY VERY VERY COOL!

Brag for a long time, and let him hear it!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd have to guess that of all the countless number of times that fordfixer has linked to a newspaper article for us on this board...this was his favorite.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Awesome Jacob!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I'd have to guess that of all the countless number of times that fordfixer has linked to a newspaper article for us on this board...this was his favorite.

You would be correct

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Backup

User Info Menu

Awwww, congrats FF! You must be so proud!

BlitzburghGator

Great story..

Sometimes the bad things going on nowadays gets too much attention, and all the people and effort that goes into great events like this goes overlooked.

Good for your kid, you have every reason to be proud!