Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell will decide on Ben's suspension at end of preseason

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Goodell will decide on Ben's suspension at end of preseason

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Goodell will decide on Roethlisberger's suspension after preseason
    Associated Press
    Published: Aug. 5, 2010 at 11:33 a.m.
    Updated: Aug. 5, 2010 at 01:19 p.m.

LATROBE, Pa. -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell likes everything Ben Roethlisberger is doing to reshape his life since being accused of sexual assault five months ago. But Goodell isn't ready yet to cut the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback's suspension from six to four games.

Goodell talked with Roethlisberger while visiting Steelers training camp Thursday, saying he won't make a final decision on how long the quarterback will be out until the end of the preseason.

The Steelers expect Roethlisberger's suspension for bad behavior to be cut to four games. That would allow the two-time Super Bowl winner to return for a Oct. 17 game against the AFC North rival Cleveland Browns.

Goodell was vague when asked several times if Roethlisberger's suspension could be reduced even further. Later, league officials clarified that the commissioner's April 21 ruling specified a minimum of four games.

For the second day in a row, Goodell praised Roethlisberger's efforts following an embarrassing, image-damaging incident that left some of the quarterback's biggest fans angry and disgusted. Some fans burned his jersey; others said they intended to boo him even if the Steelers played well.

"I think he's doing great," Goodell said of Roethlisberger. "I had a chance to chat with him ... and I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing. I think he's understanding the seriousness of the issue and is working to improve and to make better decisions. I think that's a very positive development."

Goodell expects to meet with Roethlisberger at league headquarters in New York sometime near the end of the preseason before deciding whether or not to reduce the suspension.

"I'm very encouraged by what he's doing," Goodell said. "I'll take the period of time that I have before making the decision and make it probably right before the regular season."

After Roethlisberger was accused of, but not charged with, assaulting a 20-year-old Georgia college student in a Milledgeville, Ga., bar, the NFL ordered the quarterback to undergo an unspecified evaluation. After completing the evaluation, Roethlisberger was allowed to return to the Steelers' offseason workouts.

Roethlisberger is practicing -- his coaches said he has never looked better during training camp -- and can play in preseason games. Once the season starts and he is suspended, Roethlisberger can't have contact with the team, unless there is an injury issue, until he is eligible to play. He can't attend team meetings or practice while suspended.

"I hope he'll continue to focus on himself and work on what his advisers are suggesting he needs to focus on and use it (the suspension) as a productive period for him," Goodell said.

On Wednesday, Goodell said during a visit to Baltimore Ravens training camp that Roethlisberger was going "above and beyond" what the league was asking.

Asked what he considered to be above and beyond, Goodell said, "I think his effort and his focus. He's hasn't just done what he's been told to do, I think he's worked hard to really try to improve and focus on himself and understand what's he's been though and what he's going to do differently going forward. I think that's a very positive thing."

Roethlisberger has been treated warmly by Steelers fans so far at camp, but he might receive a better indication of how much animosity there is toward him when the team play its first home preseason game Aug. 14.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Legend

Re: Goodell will decide on Ben's suspension at end of preseason

The idiot can't just help himself from raking Ben over the coals while at the same time giving Vince Young, Cedric Benson, Tom Cable and Phil Merling free passes.

Ben's had better get less than 4 games when this is all over.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Legend

4 games minimum.

I hope the Madden bus falls off a cliff.

Goodell is a gigantic, used douche.

His statement is just an attempt to get out of camp alive.

Hall of Famer

Douchery at its best....Such a tool...Can't do a thing right...

A-Hole needs to suspend himself for tarnishing the shield.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Here's a question unrelated to the suspension and related to Ben.

He's going to miss the first four games (it sounds as if the suspension will be reduced), but can play in the pre-season. The Steelers know what they have in Lefty, Dixon and Batch. Ben is going to play the moment he is eligible.

Should coach Tomlin give Ben the snaps that the second string quarterback would get in the pre-season games to get him game action until he can not participate any longer with the team?

First pre-season game - Starter (probably Lefty) plays a series, maybe two giving way to Ben to at least finish the half.

Second pre-season game - Starter usually plays the first quarter, giving way to Ben to play the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Third pre-season game - Starter plays three quarters, no reps for Ben, let the others finish this game

Fourth pre-season game - Starter plays a series, gives way to Ben until half, the others finish.

This will give Ben some game speed work, let him get some hits and work on the timing with the rookies and second year guys. Lefty gets the starter reps, Dixon works as the #3 and Batch gets what's left over. Tomlin knows exactly what each of these guys can do, it's not like he needs to evaluate the QB position.

When Ben comes back, at least, he's seen live game speed action and may be better prepared to take over the reins.

Just a thought

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The idiot can't just help himself from raking Ben over the coals while at the same time giving Vince Young, Cedric Benson, Tom Cable and Phil Merling free passes.

Ben's had better get less than 4 games when this is all over.
    In all fairness to Goodell (whose inconsistency I don't care for), he had only positive things to say about Ben in that article. The author threw in some shots at Ben, but that rests with him more than Goodell.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Here's a question unrelated to the suspension and related to Ben.

He's going to miss the first four games (it sounds as if the suspension will be reduced), but can play in the pre-season. The Steelers know what they have in Lefty, Dixon and Batch. Ben is going to play the moment he is eligible.

Should coach Tomlin give Ben the snaps that the second string quarterback would get in the pre-season games to get him game action until he can not participate any longer with the team?

First pre-season game - Starter (probably Lefty) plays a series, maybe two giving way to Ben to at least finish the half.

Second pre-season game - Starter usually plays the first quarter, giving way to Ben to play the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Third pre-season game - Starter plays three quarters, no reps for Ben, let the others finish this game

Fourth pre-season game - Starter plays a series, gives way to Ben until half, the others finish.

This will give Ben some game speed work, let him get some hits and work on the timing with the rookies and second year guys. Lefty gets the starter reps, Dixon works as the #3 and Batch gets what's left over. Tomlin knows exactly what each of these guys can do, it's not like he needs to evaluate the QB position.

When Ben comes back, at least, he's seen live game speed action and may be better prepared to take over the reins.

Just a thought

Pappy
    I think we'll see Ben start the first pre-season game...a statement that it's still his team. I agree that he should get most of his reps in the 2nd and early 3rd quarter. You don't want him out there with a bunch of goombas trying to earn a roster spot. I would however, give him action in every game.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Goodell undecided on discipline for gun-toting Browns

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2010

Two members of the Cleveland Browns' defensive line, Shaun Rogers and Robaire Smith, have been charged this offseason with offenses related to possessing guns at airports. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he's still reviewing both matters and hasn't determined the best course of action.

"Both cases are still under review by our staff," Goodell said during his visit to the Browns' training camp today. "I don't have any plans to specifically sit down with either one of them."

Both players will be disciplined, Goodell said, but it's not clear whether that discipline will consist of a fine or a suspension.

"I'm not going to make any judgments about it other than it's a clear mistake," Goodell said. "It is a violation of law. It's the kind of judgments that we have to make sure we do a better job of avoiding."

Although it won't keep Goodell from disciplining Rogers, Goodell did take note of the fact that Rogers helped police catch a drunk driver last month.

"It's a great example," Goodell said, "of a young man making a mistake on one hand and then doing something positive on the other."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ng-browns/