Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Favre to retire (for today, anyway)

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: OT: Favre to retire (for today, anyway)

I can't stand the Favre love when he throws so many bad INT's but the guy is a first ballot HOF. He had a great season last year, but I think most QB's with talent would look good on that team.

I'm tired of the retirement saga though. Its old and fans are sick of it. With a pending lockout I can't see how he actually retires this year and Childress sounded like he wasn't convinced.

I won't believe it until the Thursday night games opening kick.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    I never understood the acclaim for Favre. He has a career 86 passer rating, and he's lost as many games with untimely interceptions as he's won with miracle comebacks. Gunslinger, yes. HOF QB? Not if it depends on my vote.

Love him or hate him, i disagree. INTs aside when you lead in just about every other passing stat it's HOF time. As i said i'm not a Favre fan in the least. But the guy is first ballet material
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
    -- Jack Lambert --

Backup

User Info Menu

I agree he's first "ballet" material. Throw the ball a zillion times in WC offense, you're gonna put up some yards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Favre would not be on my personal short list of QB's I'd pick if I were starting my ideal franchise from scratch, but you can't deny that he's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Just look at these records he owns (pulled from Wikipedia):

As of the end of the 2009 NFL season, Favre owned or shared most of the well-known NFL career records, including:

Consecutive starts as a quarterback: 285 (309 including playoffs)

Consecutive starts as a position player: 285 (309 including playoffs)

Career regular-season victories by a starting quarterback: 181 (Regular-season record: 181–104)

Wins by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 90, Lambeau Field (including once as a Minnesota Viking)

Consecutive wins, regular season and playoffs, by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 29, Lambeau Field, 1995–1998

Consecutive wins, regular season, by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 25, Lambeau Field, 1995–1998

Wins by a starting quarterback against a single opponent: 27, Detroit Lions (18–0 in home games)

Completions, Attempts, Passing Yards, Touchdown Passes against a single opponent: Detroit Lions: 790 completions, 11,247 attempts, 9,219 passing yards, 60 touchdown passes

Career passing touchdowns: 497

Career passing yards: 69,329

Career pass completions: 6,083

Career pass attempts: 9,811

Career interceptions thrown: 317

Career games with at least 1 touchdown pass: 241

Career games with at least 2 touchdown passes: 157

Career games with at least 3 touchdown passes: 71

Career games with at least 4 touchdown passes: 23

Career games with at least 200 passing yards: 202

(2nd) Career games with at least 300 passing yards: 61 (Dan Marino is 1st with 63)

One of 11 quarterbacks to throw a 99 yard TD pass (longest possible pass)

Touchdown passes of 80+ yards: 9

Touchdown passes of 70+ yards: 15

Touchdown passes of 20+ yards: 165

1 yard touchdown passes: 37

1 yard touchdown passes, passer/receiver combination: 8, Brett Favre/Bubba Franks

Career games with at least 30 completions: 24 (Peyton Manning is 2nd with 1

Career games with at least 20 completions: 185 (Peyton Manning is 2nd with 13

Completions in a game played on a Friday: 30; 12/24/2004

Seasons with at least 20 touchdown passes: 15

Seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 9

Consecutive seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 5

Seasons with at least 35 touchdown passes: 3

Consecutive seasons with at least 35 touchdown passes: 3

Seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 18

Consecutive seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 18

Seasons with at least 300 completions: 18

Consecutive seasons with at least 300 completions: 18

Brett Favre & Sterling Sharpe tied Dan Marino & Mark Clayton's record for most passer/receiver touchdown combinations in a season in 1994: 18-broken by Tom Brady and Randy Moss(23) in 2007.

Most consecutive AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995–1997)

Career playoff pass completions: 481

Career playoff pass attempts: 791

Career playoff passing yards: 5,855

(2nd) Career playoff passing touchdowns: 44 (Montana, 45)

Career playoff interceptions thrown: 30

Career playoff losses as starting QB: 11

(5th) Career playoff wins as starting QB: 13 (Joe Montana, 16; Tom Brady, 14; Terry Bradshaw, 14; John Elway, 14)

Games played by a starting quarterback against one opponent in a calendar year: 5 games against the Detroit Lions in 1994; 1/2/94(game 16 of the 1993 season), 1/8/94(playoff game), 11/6/94, 12/4/94, 12/31/94(playoff game)

Longest gap between receptions: 17 years & 4 weeks (275 games)

Favre is the only quarterback to have led a team to victory over all thirty-two teams in the league since the NFL first expanded to 32 franchises in 2002.

Favre is one of four quarterbacks to lead the league in touchdown passes four times. The others are Johnny Unitas, Len Dawson and Steve Young. In addition, Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history. Most recently, he set the team record for consecutive completions with 20 on November 22, 2007, against the Detroit Lions.

Favre is also the first known player to be a grandfather while active in the NFL.
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Favre would not be on my personal short list of QB's I'd pick if I were starting my ideal franchise from scratch, but you can't deny that he's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Just look at these records he owns (pulled from Wikipedia):

As of the end of the 2009 NFL season, Favre owned or shared most of the well-known NFL career records, including:

Consecutive starts as a quarterback: 285 (309 including playoffs)

Consecutive starts as a position player: 285 (309 including playoffs)

Career regular-season victories by a starting quarterback: 181 (Regular-season record: 181–104)

Wins by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 90, Lambeau Field (including once as a Minnesota Viking)

Consecutive wins, regular season and playoffs, by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 29, Lambeau Field, 1995–1998

Consecutive wins, regular season, by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 25, Lambeau Field, 1995–1998

Wins by a starting quarterback against a single opponent: 27, Detroit Lions (18–0 in home games)

Completions, Attempts, Passing Yards, Touchdown Passes against a single opponent: Detroit Lions: 790 completions, 11,247 attempts, 9,219 passing yards, 60 touchdown passes

Career passing touchdowns: 497

Career pass completions: 6,083

Career pass attempts: 9,811

Career interceptions thrown: 317

Career games with at least 1 touchdown pass: 241

Career games with at least 2 touchdown passes: 157

Career games with at least 3 touchdown passes: 71

Career games with at least 4 touchdown passes: 23

Career games with at least 200 passing yards: 202

(2nd) Career games with at least 300 passing yards: 61 (Dan Marino is 1st with 63)

One of 11 quarterbacks to throw a 99 yard TD pass (longest possible pass)

Touchdown passes of 80+ yards: 9

Touchdown passes of 70+ yards: 15

Touchdown passes of 20+ yards: 165

1 yard touchdown passes: 37

1 yard touchdown passes, passer/receiver combination: 8, Brett Favre/Bubba Franks

Career games with at least 30 completions: 24 (Peyton Manning is 2nd with 1

Career games with at least 20 completions: 185 (Peyton Manning is 2nd with 13

Completions in a game played on a Friday: 30; 12/24/2004

Seasons with at least 20 touchdown passes: 15

Seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 9

Consecutive seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 5

Seasons with at least 35 touchdown passes: 3

Consecutive seasons with at least 35 touchdown passes: 3

Seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 18

Consecutive seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 18

Seasons with at least 300 completions: 18

Consecutive seasons with at least 300 completions: 18

Brett Favre & Sterling Sharpe tied Dan Marino & Mark Clayton's record for most passer/receiver touchdown combinations in a season in 1994: 18-broken by Tom Brady and Randy Moss(23) in 2007.

Most consecutive AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995–1997)

Career playoff pass completions: 481

Career playoff pass attempts: 791

Career playoff passing yards: 5,855

(2nd) Career playoff passing touchdowns: 44 (Montana, 45)

Career playoff interceptions thrown: 30

Career playoff losses as starting QB: 11

(5th) Career playoff wins as starting QB: 13 (Joe Montana, 16; Tom Brady, 14; Terry Bradshaw, 14; John Elway, 14)

Games played by a starting quarterback against one opponent in a calendar year: 5 games against the Detroit Lions in 1994; 1/2/94(game 16 of the 1993 season), 1/8/94(playoff game), 11/6/94, 12/4/94, 12/31/94(playoff game)

Longest gap between receptions: 17 years & 4 weeks (275 games)

Favre is the only quarterback to have led a team to victory over all thirty-two teams in the league since the NFL first expanded to 32 franchises in 2002.

Favre is one of four quarterbacks to lead the league in touchdown passes four times. The others are Johnny Unitas, Len Dawson and Steve Young. In addition, Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history. Most recently, he set the team record for consecutive completions with 20 on November 22, 2007, against the Detroit Lions.

Favre is also the first known player to be a grandfather while active in the NFL.
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre[/url]
    Plus, this was mentioned today on ESPN - he only had one (1) losing season in 19 years.
    Playing for 4 teams, plus multiple coaches. That alone is amazing.

And 309 consecutive starts. WOW! WOW! WOW!!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

How many starts got a chemical assist????

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I never understood the acclaim for Favre. He has a career 86 passer rating, and he's lost as many games with untimely interceptions as he's won with miracle comebacks. Gunslinger, yes. HOF QB? Not if it depends on my vote.
    i hate how some people put him in the same category as montana, elway, marino etc.. i wouldnt put him in hof either. he was always way to careless with the ball to be an "elite" qb imo. his arm strength was definetly elite but his decisions were very korkie like

Backup

User Info Menu

Carelessness with the ball is the reason for the 86 career passing rating. He was our best player when we played the Vikes last year. I don't know how one rates QBs and "puts ints aside." If you don't take care of the ball, in my book, you are not HOF material. That said, I don't doubt that the writers will vote him into the HOF. I just don't understand the acclaim. The WC offense is SUPPOSED to be a high percentage offense. Eighty damn six is NOT HOF material!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Carelessness with the ball is the reason for the 86 career passing rating. He was our best player when we played the Vikes last year. I don't know how one rates QBs and "puts ints aside." If you don't take care of the ball, in my book, you are not HOF material. That said, I don't doubt that the writers will vote him into the HOF. I just don't understand the acclaim. The WC offense is SUPPOSED to be a high percentage offense. Eighty damn six is NOT HOF material!!!

Your right, but Career passing touchdowns: 497

is HOF material
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
    -- Jack Lambert --

Starter

User Info Menu

People make such a big deal out of that consecutive starts stat. He's a QB.

Jim Marshall's consecutive starts are far more impressive than Favre's. He played defensive line in a time when almost anything went as far as blocking. O linemen were constantly going at his legs.