Thread: Talbot calls Ovie a douche.

Talbot calls Ovie a douche.

Haha, gotta love our superstar.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcspor ... chkin.html

At 2:24 p.m. or thereabouts on Tuesday, the NHL sent out a press release about the league's "hottest rivalry." I think sports writers and the general public could normally be forgiven for casting a cynical eye at press-released claims of a hot hockey rivalry that are made in late July.

But in this case, a member of the Penguins -- one side of the rivalry -- had called the Capitals superstar "a real douche" on the radio four hours before the press release went out. Game on, press-release writers. Next time, though, please include slightly blue hygienic-product puns. I'd provide a few examples, but I'd rather not alarm the censors.

"I just hate the guy," Max Talbot told 105.9 The X on Tuesday as part of some Winter Classic press tours, when asked about Alex Ovechkin. "I can't lie. Sorry. Even moreso for a guy like Ovechkin. Like, seriously. Ok. Yeah. I don't like him."

There was lots of laughter through all of this, and the hosts were egging him on, saying "we agree completely" and "don't apologize" and the like. Then they asked Talbot when he realized that his dislike for Ovechkin extended beyond normal, competitive on-ice rivalry.

"The first time I met him, actually, when I met him off the ice," Talbot said. "You hear a lot of stories about a guy, but sometimes they're not true. You hear of guys who're not good guys, and you're like, 'Yeah, ok, I'll give the guy a shot.' The first time I met him, let's say he didn't give the best impression to me, so better reason to hate him even more."

It was the ripped jeans, wasn't it, Max? Or maybe the techno music? The cackling hosts asked Talbot what exactly happened at this first off-ice meeting.

"I was actually at the NHL Awards last summer with Malkin, and we brought the Stanley Cup over there after the season," Talbot said. "Malkin knew Ovechkin, and introduced me to him, and the first impression wasn't great. I'm not really gonna say what happened, but I'm like, 'Ok, this guy is a real douche.' "

(Note: Here is a short list of things guaranteed to make me break my vacation pledge to avoid the Internet: Confirmed jello wrestling between LaVar Arrington and Clinton Portis, the Dalai Lama making his first public remarks about Albert Haynesworth, and a Pittsburgh Penguin calling Alex Ovechkin a douche. That list may not be complete, but it's a start.)

After the interview, the cackling hosts wondered how "douche" would be translated in the inevitable Russian-language versions of this transcription. Funny, because I was wondering how you say "Brads, don't worry about it, let me take this one myself please," in Russian. Also, "Five-Minute Major." Also, "People kept throwing hats. I was just asking if he could make an announcement to ask them to stop."

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Talbot calls Ovie a douche.

I really hate that white board guy.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    I really hate that white board guy.
    To me, the UPS whiteboard guy always looked like the guy in Kingpin who has the bowling lane in his house and is bowling against Randy Quaid for money, but then slaps around his girlfriend, forcing her to run off with Munson. You know, that guy...