Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What, no "sign Maurice Clarett" threads?

Pro Bowler

Re: What, no "sign Maurice Clarett" threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    I still believe he was the most talented RB to ever play at OSU. While he has become the object of ridicule and jokes I believe he is mentally ill. Personally, I don't find that funny. But, maybe that's just me.
    Pure talent but took a wrong turn on the "Decent to Good NFL Player" career trajectory.

While he took a turn for the worse and made bad decisions, I will never forget him stripping the football to get possession back after a turnover on the same play to save the Buckeyes.
    As a freshman he was a better back than Eddie George as a senior.
    Words cannot describe how strongly I disagree with that statement.

I'm rooting for Clarett though and hopes he takes advantage of another chance at OSU. It would be a nice story if he earned his degree.....which seemed virtually impossible a few years ago.

I'm no Buckeye fan, but I'm stuck living among them. I remember media people comparing the Freshman Clarett to the great Jim Brown for pity's sake. It's true, the Bucks couldn't run without him at all.

It shows, IMO, how many things still have to go just right even if the guy has amazing talent.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    I still believe he was the most talented RB to ever play at OSU. While he has become the object of ridicule and jokes I believe he is mentally ill. Personally, I don't find that funny. But, maybe that's just me.
    Pure talent but took a wrong turn on the "Decent to Good NFL Player" career trajectory.

While he took a turn for the worse and made bad decisions, I will never forget him stripping the football to get possession back after a turnover on the same play to save the Buckeyes.
    As a freshman he was a better back than Eddie George as a senior.
    Words cannot describe how strongly I disagree with that statement.

I'm rooting for Clarett though and hopes he takes advantage of another chance at OSU. It would be a nice story if he earned his degree.....which seemed virtually impossible a few years ago.
    I understand your stance because George had an amazing senior season. But, look at the ypc and the TDs per game. They are comparable. Not to mention George ran behind one of the better Olines in OSU history. As a freshman in only 11 games Clarett ran for 5.6 ypc 1237 yards and 18 TDs...behind one of the worst OLines I have ever seen at OSU. It was clear to me that Clarett had more natural talent. He was a football player in the truest sense of the word...a natural.

Starter

its funny until he is diagnosed as being mentally ill. dude crashed and burned. not the first or last to do it....

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    How do you know he is mentally ill? If extremely poor decision making equaled mental
    illness I'd be half crazy myself. Maybe even 3/4 crazy.

x2 Shiek. I'll always remember that play as one of the all time greats. Pure grit and
    determination on Claretts part to save the day.

Good question. I seen many quotes from Clarett and about Clarett to make me think something was going on there. He played in Warren right down the street from my wife and her brothers. It was said that Clarett was "odd" a "loner" "never seemed quite right. Most mental breaks happen between 19-24 yo. Add this to very paranoid behavior and quotes and I say it's highly susicious that he had some sort of break. It could just be drug/alcohol addiction which isn't "extremely poor decision making". Some individuals can not from a genetic point of view drink or drug socially. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes even in a controlled clinical setting. Either way, for me it's not funny. If it's for others have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott

its funny until he is diagnosed as being mentally ill. dude crashed and burned. not the first or last to do it....
    People crashing and burning is funny to you? Wow. It's not to me. Clarett's story is very sad to me. Even if it's just poor decision making and mental illness, drug/alcohol addiction were not factors I still find it sad.

I think he surrounded himself with sycophants and hangers on who promised him the world and told him everything he wanted to hear. Then when the NFL didn't work out for him those people abandoned him and he felt cheated and alone...and took on an "angry at the world" attitude and blamed the world for his problems instead of accepting that blame himself. Millions of people go through that.

I hope things work out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    I think he surrounded himself with sycophants and hangers on who promised him the world and told him everything he wanted to hear. Then when the NFL didn't work out for him those people abandoned him and he felt cheated and alone...and took on an "angry at the world" attitude and blamed the world for his problems instead of accepting that blame himself. Millions of people go through that.

While I agree that some of that went on...why didn't his career "work out"? Maybe it was the really odd, anti-social, grey goose in the locker room behavior that contributed. We (including myself) don't know enough information to make a reasonable conclusion. With that said, any way you slice it I find these stories just awful to read about. Whether we are talking about a football player or anyone from any walk of life, it's just hurts to read about it.

It's kind of a smaller case of what happened to Mike Tyson. When a guy is 20 years old, has $20 million in the bank, is world famous, can whip any guy in the room and has no living father figure with barkers from the 'hood telling him to keep it real this is what you get.

Maurice is but the same type of problem only built more on potential than what he actually did in his profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

It's kind of a smaller case of what happened to Mike Tyson. When a guy is 20 years old, has $20 million in the bank, is world famous, can whip any guy in the room and has no living father figure with barkers from the 'hood telling him to keep it real this is what you get.

Maurice is but the same type of problem only built more on potential than what he actually did in his profession.
    I think there any many comparisons that are accurate when you compare him to Tyson. But, Tyson's issues were not just Daddy issues. He had many.