Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starkey: Tomlinís deal intriguing

Hall of Famer

Re: Starkey: Tomlinís deal intriguing

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL
    This is garbage article. Even Cowher typically signed 2 years extensions.
    Fact he did this a couple of times if I recall. This is Steelers way of doing business
    with HC. Nothing new here.
    Don't bring up facts when the "Tomlin-haters" need something to help them recover from the fact he will be here until 2013.
    Actually, he got 3 year extensions with two years left, until the last one.

I'm glad that everybody was so happy with last season. I'm sorry, but I hated watching the Steelers lose to the Chiefs, Browns, Raiders, et. al down the stretch. If that makes me a hater, so be it, but I'd rather not watch that and then have to listen to empty promises and meaningless cliches for the next decade.
    Just to play the devil's advocate with you Philly, couldn't you also look at the last three games (all wins) and give Tomlin credit for not allowing the team to quit? Just sayin.. :P

Pappy
    Good point Pappy.

I tried to post a longer version of this before, but I closed the browser prematurely. Basically, we've seen some good with Tomlin (SB, 3 games to close out last season), and some bad (losing streak that torpedoed last season, numerous questionable calls in Jacksonville game). Clearly, the Rooneys want to see more, but they're not going all in with Tomlin, at least not yet. Nor should they. While I'm admittedly less optimistic about Tomlin than many posters here, I think we can all agree that last season was a major disappointment. I think that most of us (including me) hope that the horrendous streak of losses was an aberration, but what if it wasn't? Giving Tomlin a shorter extension was prudent, as it allows the Steelers to retain him for a few more seasons to continue evaluating him.

I don't see why some feel the need to automatically declare Tomlin coach for the next decade. We've seen a mixed bag from Tomlin so far.

Pro Bowler

I wonder what Starkey would say about Marvin Lewis's situation? He hasn't won anything & he keeps getting extensions....
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL
    This is garbage article. Even Cowher typically signed 2 years extensions.
    Fact he did this a couple of times if I recall. This is Steelers way of doing business
    with HC. Nothing new here.
    Don't bring up facts when the "Tomlin-haters" need something to help them recover from the fact he will be here until 2013.
    Actually, he got 3 year extensions with two years left, until the last one.

I'm glad that everybody was so happy with last season. I'm sorry, but I hated watching the Steelers lose to the Chiefs, Browns, Raiders, et. al down the stretch. If that makes me a hater, so be it, but I'd rather not watch that and then have to listen to empty promises and meaningless cliches for the next decade.
    Now, I've been told that the Rooneys were lucky with Noll and Cowher
    Just to play the devil's advocate with you Philly, couldn't you also look at the last three games (all wins) and give Tomlin credit for not allowing the team to quit? Just sayin.. :P

Pappy
    Good point Pappy.

I tried to post a longer version of this before, but I closed the browser prematurely. Basically, we've seen some good with Tomlin (SB, 3 games to close out last season), and some bad (losing streak that torpedoed last season, numerous questionable calls in Jacksonville game). Clearly, the Rooneys want to see more, but they're not going all in with Tomlin, at least not yet. Nor should they. While I'm admittedly less optimistic about Tomlin than many posters here, I think we can all agree that last season was a major disappointment. I think that most of us (including me) hope that the horrendous streak of losses was an aberration, but what if it wasn't? Giving Tomlin a shorter extension was prudent, as it allows the Steelers to retain him for a few more seasons to continue evaluating him.

I don't see why some feel the need to automatically declare Tomlin coach for the next decade. We've seen a mixed bag from Tomlin so far.
    It may be prudent, but even if Tomlin has another 8-8 or even two 8-8 seasons, I just don't see the Rooneys jettisoning this guy. Unless, the Steelers go 6-10 or worse two seasons in a row the Steelers aren't getting rid of Tomlin. They have a formula that has worked for them for a long time and stability is part of that formula. Maybe, they're taking a wait and see approach, but that would be a seismic shift in their thinking over the past 40 plus years.

Even if Tomlin ends up only being a 5 or 6 year coach, the next guy will get a chance to make mistakes and get them right. The Steelers as an organization have shown over the past 40 years that they will give their coach a more than fair chance to be successful. The Rooneys can accept disappointing years, down years, etc better than most owners and they have 6 reasons not to change their formula.

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.46) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.11 Brandon Coleman - WR
    4.157) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    5.192)
    6.215) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.230)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

I would look at a few things:

It helps that we ended the season on a winning streak.

Who could have expected our ST's to suck that bad after they had been solid the prior year?

Who could have expected our vaunted D, with an HOF coach, to lose 10 point leads in the 4th quarter on four occaisions?

As an executive you have to take the heat when things go wrong, but how can you call out Coach LeBeau and expect to maintain the locker room?

Our Offense was on fire for much of the season. If someone had said prior to the season that Ben and the receivers would put up those numbers and that Mendy would be a 1K back, we would have thought that we were SB bound for sure.

I guess I'm just saying that the problems of last season are hard to put at Tomlin's feet, IMO.